Wierd electrical problem

Old March 21st 05, 10:19 AM
Old Crow

Default Wierd electrical problem

And a head's up to people still running the stock jack on a YJ...

A few weeks ago, my wife's '94 YJ started having the headlights go out
every time she put them on high beam.
If you switched back to low beams, in a few seconds they'd come back
on.
Having grown up in the 60's driving a bunch of old 50's vehicles, when
she told me this I went out and purchased a light switch. It's cheap
and it was always the first thing to do when dealing with the old
beaters I used to drive. The circuit breaker in the switch gets weak
and won't hold the current of the lights.
OK, so last weekend, I installed the switch, and upon testing, found
that it didn't help.
So, this week(I was pretty busy last weekend and didn't get to finish
looking at it)I went out with my test light and multimeter to see if I
could figure out the problem.
Pulled the connector off the dimmer switch and started probing
contacts. Then I started jumping contacts with a fused jumper wire.
Found that the fuse would pop immediatly when hooked to the high beam
wire from the connector.
Ah! Either a short in the harness to the front, or a bad bulb. Well,
bulbs being easier to access and test, I started there and I found the
problem almost immediatly.
The Jeep still has the stock jack in place. The piece of the jack
handle with the little "T" on the end had vibrated out of the
retaining bracket and moved forward to where the little "T" on the
handle was actually touching the high beam contact on the back of the
bulb!!! Took the jack off and turned the handle 180° so it wouldn't
vibrate out of the bracket and I was done with the repair.
--
Old Crow
'82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl'
Old March 21st 05, 11:50 AM
HarryS

That had happened to a neighbors YJ also, he asked for my help and it took
me 2 days to trace out the problem. I fixed it and then we insulated it
with rubber tape and placed some wire loom around the wire.

We also found the wire to the tail lamps severely corroded and had to
replace both connectors and bulb sockets.

I had found filling them with dielectric silicon grease prevents water
infiltration and keeps them lubricated. I have done this on all my vehicles
for many years and have never had a corrosion issues.

--
HarryS My 2¢

Old March 22nd 05, 10:12 AM
Old Crow

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:50:28 -0500, "HarryS"
> wrote:

>That had happened to a neighbors YJ also, he asked for my help and it took
>me 2 days to trace out the problem. I fixed it and then we insulated it
>with rubber tape and placed some wire loom around the wire.

I flipped the jack handle around, so the "T" actually keeps it from
going far enough to hit the light. Then I put some new foam under all
the handles so they are tight in the bracket now and I should be OK.

>We also found the wire to the tail lamps severely corroded and had to
>replace both connectors and bulb sockets.
>
>I had found filling them with dielectric silicon grease prevents water
>infiltration and keeps them lubricated. I have done this on all my vehicles
>for many years and have never had a corrosion issues.

Yup, been doing that a long time myself. I got a tube of Ford issue
dielectric grease that somebody left in a trade it about 12 years ago.
It's a giant tube about the size of a tube of spot putty, and I'm
finally getting to the point where I have to think about buying more.
I even use it on spark plug wires.