Cheapest liability insurance for my old 1978 Dodge van.

Old February 15th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent P[_1_]

Default Cheapest liability insurance for my old 1978 Dodge van.

In article >, wrote:
> A few years ago, I phoned that Geico toll free number.The guy on the
> phone quoted a price of about four times what I am paying now.I will
> check out that USAA thing in the morning.Maybe I can find their toll
> free number (if they have one) online.
>
> That is another thing I like about old vehicles.Low insurance rates and
> I have a Vintage Truck license plate on my van, I bought that plate when
> my van turned 25 years old.I don't ever have to buy anymore license
> plates or a new decal sticker for the plate every year.Old vehicles are
> money savers.

In Illinois the AV (antique vehicle plates, car needs to be 25yrs old) are
supposed to be restricted use for parades and taking the vehicle for
service. I see people abusing these all the time. I see them used on daily
drivers and sunday drivers as people go do various errands... doesn't seem
to be enforced. However if I got one for my '73 to save some money
I know I would get pulled over the first time I took the car out.

Old February 15th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nicholas[_2_]

:

>> GEICO is evil.
>>

>But they have that cute gecko in their ads...
>
>(I hated the caveman though.)

I had an insurance policy with GEICO many decades ago, and they were
fine until it came time to make a CLAIM, at which time they treated me
like I was garbage.

They made me wait weeks for a $400 payout. I ended up going to their
offices, and refusing to leave without a check.

Sign up with GEICO at your own peril.

Nick

Old February 15th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, wrote:
>
>>A few years ago, I phoned that Geico toll free number.The guy on the
>>phone quoted a price of about four times what I am paying now.I will
>>check out that USAA thing in the morning.Maybe I can find their toll
>>free number (if they have one) online.
>>
>>That is another thing I like about old vehicles.Low insurance rates and
>>I have a Vintage Truck license plate on my van, I bought that plate when
>>my van turned 25 years old.I don't ever have to buy anymore license
>>plates or a new decal sticker for the plate every year.Old vehicles are
>>money savers.

> In Illinois the AV (antique vehicle plates, car needs to be 25yrs old) are
> supposed to be restricted use for parades and taking the vehicle for
> service. I see people abusing these all the time. I see them used on daily
> drivers and sunday drivers as people go do various errands... doesn't seem
> to be enforced. However if I got one for my '73 to save some money
> I know I would get pulled over the first time I took the car out.

My dad chose not to get antique plates for his pickup for this very reason.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old February 15th 08, 11:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Busman

On a whim, I called Geico for a rate and as soon as I told them I had USAA,
they were unable to give me a direct answer on a rate. Their never ending
stream of junk mail precludes me from using them as well. USAA has been
great for 25 years.
Andy

Old February 15th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Progressive is the company which handles my liability insurance for my
old van.My liability insurance runs out at the stroke of midnight just
before Sunday morning.(kind of cool how they work it like that, no grace
period on Sunday) The local office is about four miles from me.They are
closed on weekends.I guess I might as well drive on over there and write
a check.The next liability insurance (after I pay for it today) bill
will be due by August 17,2008.(stroke of midnight)That will give me six
more months to look around for something cheaper.If I had an enclosed
garage, I think I could maybe get a much cheaper rate from J.C.Taylor
insurance company.They handle insurance for classic and vintage
vehicles.They require a photo of such vehicles and enclosed garages for
vehicles.I can't enclose my house's attatched carport because the
electric meter is on the wall of my house inside of the carport.
cuhulin

Old February 15th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

I believe you are 'really' confused by your coverage.

They don't care one way or the other what kind of 'classic' car you have
because they are 'NOT' insuring 'it'. They are giving you insurance
to cover the 'OTHER' car in case you hit someone.

That is called Liability insurance.

You can go drive into a post and they don't care about the condition of
your van, they 'will' pay for a new post though...

To have coverage for 'your' van, you need what is called Collision
insurance. Then your van is covered for damages if 'you' hit something.

You need an appraisal for your van for 'comprehensive' coverage or 'fire
and theft' and for the situation of 'you' getting hit. Without the
appraisal, you get 'book' value for it if hit or stolen or burned or
likely less than $500.00.

I know this because I have a 1986 Jeep CJ7. Book value less than
$1000.00, real value over $12,000.00.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old February 15th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pete C.

Mike Romain wrote:

> I believe you are 'really' confused by your coverage.
>
> They don't care one way or the other what kind of 'classic' car you have
> because they are 'NOT' insuring 'it'. They are giving you insurance
> to cover the 'OTHER' car in case you hit someone.
>
> That is called Liability insurance.
>
> You can go drive into a post and they don't care about the condition of
> your van, they 'will' pay for a new post though...
>
> To have coverage for 'your' van, you need what is called Collision
> insurance. Then your van is covered for damages if 'you' hit something.
>
> You need an appraisal for your van for 'comprehensive' coverage or 'fire
> and theft' and for the situation of 'you' getting hit. Without the
> appraisal, you get 'book' value for it if hit or stolen or burned or
> likely less than $500.00.
>
> I know this because I have a 1986 Jeep CJ7. Book value less than
> $1000.00, real value over $12,000.00.

Very true.

On a related note, the property tax you pay on a vehicle will be based
on the book value as well, and if you have a condition that would lower
that value, such as high mileage, you can note that to the tax folks and
save some money there. I did that with my previous vehicle and saved
like $50 in taxes with no more effort than stopping by the tax office
for a few minutes.
Old February 15th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Mike Romain wrote:
> I believe you are 'really' confused by your coverage.
>
> They don't care one way or the other what kind of 'classic' car you have
> because they are 'NOT' insuring 'it'. They are giving you insurance to
> cover the 'OTHER' car in case you hit someone.
>
> That is called Liability insurance.
>
> You can go drive into a post and they don't care about the condition of
> your van, they 'will' pay for a new post though...
>
> To have coverage for 'your' van, you need what is called Collision
> insurance. Then your van is covered for damages if 'you' hit something.
>
> You need an appraisal for your van for 'comprehensive' coverage or 'fire
> and theft' and for the situation of 'you' getting hit. Without the
> appraisal, you get 'book' value for it if hit or stolen or burned or
> likely less than $500.00.
>
> I know this because I have a 1986 Jeep CJ7. Book value less than
> $1000.00, real value over $12,000.00.
>
> Mike
> 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
> Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
>

> wrote:
>> Progressive is the company which handles my liability insurance for my
>> old van.My liability insurance runs out at the stroke of midnight just
>> before Sunday morning.(kind of cool how they work it like that, no grace
>> period on Sunday) The local office is about four miles from me.They are
>> closed on weekends.I guess I might as well drive on over there and write
>> a check.The next liability insurance (after I pay for it today) bill
>> will be due by August 17,2008.(stroke of midnight)That will give me six
>> more months to look around for something cheaper.If I had an enclosed
>> garage, I think I could maybe get a much cheaper rate from J.C.Taylor
>> insurance company.They handle insurance for classic and vintage
>> vehicles.They require a photo of such vehicles and enclosed garages for
>> vehicles.I can't enclose my house's attatched carport because the
>> electric meter is on the wall of my house inside of the carport.
>> cuhulin

The big thing is also to look at what is actually covered. Most of the
"Classic or vintage" coverage out there does NOT cover normal use of the
vehicle. It only covers you if you are in a covered event (parade,show
and such) NOT daily driving. Most also have a mileage cap and "sunny
day" terms as well. get caught driving outside the limits of the policy
and not only will they drop you but the police can get you for driving
without insurance. And if it happens that you are involved in an
accident and are outside the policy limits,I hope you have a REALLY good
lawyer and lot's of money.

Another item to be aware of is that the vehicles age and type also have
a big impact on the price of the insurance. As does your location and
the accident numbers for your city/county.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!