Why buy a larger pickup instead of a smaller pickup

Old January 24th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Why buy a larger pickup instead of a smaller pickup

Hello. I would first like to start off by stating that I know nothing
about buying a pickup truck, but I know that I want to get one. I did
some looking around and found that there are a huge amount of trucks
that I could choose from, and I don't know where to start. I see that
there are multiple sizes, with Ford having a few different types,
Chevy, Dodge, etc. I'd like to know what I should take into account
when I'm going out to buy one.

With respect to the interior of pickups, is there an option that is
offered by some company that makes life easier? I'll give you some
information about myself to help out with answering this question. I
do real estate work on properties and am going from job site to job
site. I have a couple of kids, so I'd like something to accommodate my
work lifestyle as well as my family life. Lastly, price is not a big
obstacle, but I'm not going to buy the most expensive pickup and max
out the options.

Please offer any feedback. Thanks.
Old January 24th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

wrote:
> Hello. I would first like to start off by stating that I know nothing
> about buying a pickup truck, but I know that I want to get one. I did
> some looking around and found that there are a huge amount of trucks
> that I could choose from, and I don't know where to start. I see that
> there are multiple sizes, with Ford having a few different types,
> Chevy, Dodge, etc. I'd like to know what I should take into account
> when I'm going out to buy one.
>
> With respect to the interior of pickups, is there an option that is
> offered by some company that makes life easier? I'll give you some
> information about myself to help out with answering this question. I
> do real estate work on properties and am going from job site to job
> site. I have a couple of kids, so I'd like something to accommodate my
> work lifestyle as well as my family life. Lastly, price is not a big
> obstacle, but I'm not going to buy the most expensive pickup and max
> out the options.
>
> Please offer any feedback. Thanks.

Most folks buy vehicles by what load they need to carry and how many
passengers. A 4 door pickup with a full sized bed to fit a 4x8 sheet of
plywood for the small contractor and crew idea.

They buy drivetrains for the weather and terrain, so if you just want a
truck for the clearance and 4x4, then I would think Jeep, just because I
own them and like them and they can go pretty much anywhere right out of
the box.

A Jeep TJ Wrangler for instance is a 1/4 ton pickup with the back seat
out while fitting 2 adults and 2 kids. If your 'kids' are older and
larger, it comes in a 4 door now and even 2 wheel drive (shudder) if 4x4
isn't needed.

If you are cruising out to rural properties, it has a convertible top
option for nice days.

Just my $0.02,

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos:
http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
Old January 24th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

wrote:

> Hello. I would first like to start off by stating that I know nothing
> about buying a pickup truck, but I know that I want to get one. I did
> some looking around and found that there are a huge amount of trucks
> that I could choose from, and I don't know where to start. I see that
> there are multiple sizes, with Ford having a few different types,
> Chevy, Dodge, etc. I'd like to know what I should take into account
> when I'm going out to buy one.
>
> With respect to the interior of pickups, is there an option that is
> offered by some company that makes life easier? I'll give you some
> information about myself to help out with answering this question. I
> do real estate work on properties and am going from job site to job
> site. I have a couple of kids, so I'd like something to accommodate my
> work lifestyle as well as my family life. Lastly, price is not a big
> obstacle, but I'm not going to buy the most expensive pickup and max
> out the options.
>
> Please offer any feedback. Thanks.

Not enough info to be much help. So far it sounds like your truck is
just a mobile real-estate office, so a car would do just as well.

Do you need to tow anything? If not, then get a half-ton midsize truck
with a v6 or very small v8 engine at the largest (eg, a Dodge Dakota).

Do you need to haul a lot of weight in the bed? If so, then you might
need a 3/4 ton truck.

Do you need to haul something longer than 8 feet in the bed of the
truck? If not, then you can consider a short-bed truck with a full
4-door cab.

Do your kids (how many?) need to ride in the back seat of the truck
frequently or for long periods, or just across town occasionally? If the
latter, you can get a long-bed truck with a "club" cab instead of a
full 4-door "quad" cab.

Old January 24th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Dont forget Vans.Vans are rated as trucks, 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton vans.I
can (and have) put fourteen feet long boards in my 1978 Dodge van and
closed the rear doors.With a van, you can lock up whatever you have in a
van out of sight and you don't have to worry about things (electronics,
tv sets, furniture, tools, things that shouldn't get wet, ect) getting
wet from the rain during transport.I like big vans.
cuhulin

Old January 25th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Jan 24, 6:20 pm, wrote:
> Dont forget Vans.Vans are rated as trucks, 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton vans.I
> can (and have) put fourteen feet long boards in my 1978 Dodge van and
> closed the rear doors.With a van, you can lock up whatever you have in a
> van out of sight and you don't have to worry about things (electronics,
> tv sets, furniture, tools, things that shouldn't get wet, ect) getting
> wet from the rain during transport.I like big vans.
> cuhulin

I'd like to get a pickup truck. Do you guys have any feedback on what
features are essential or what features would you like to see inside
of your pickup
Old January 25th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Visit the pickup truck dealerships in your area.Look them over and test
drive them.That will help you decide.
cuhulin

Old January 25th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_9_]

wrote:
> Hello. I would first like to start off by stating that I know nothing
> about buying a pickup truck, but I know that I want to get one. I did
> some looking around and found that there are a huge amount of trucks
> that I could choose from, and I don't know where to start. I see that
> there are multiple sizes, with Ford having a few different types,
> Chevy, Dodge, etc. I'd like to know what I should take into account
> when I'm going out to buy one.
>
> With respect to the interior of pickups, is there an option that is
> offered by some company that makes life easier? I'll give you some
> information about myself to help out with answering this question. I
> do real estate work on properties and am going from job site to job
> site. I have a couple of kids, so I'd like something to accommodate my
> work lifestyle as well as my family life. Lastly, price is not a big
> obstacle, but I'm not going to buy the most expensive pickup and max
> out the options.
>
> Please offer any feedback. Thanks.

Child seats. I looked at a couple of trucks to replace my regular cab,
and the only ones that offered decent room for child seats were full
size ones.

To me, a Dakota is too small inside to be used as a car, and too small
outside to be used as a truck.

In the end, we bought a Subaru wagon for the family, and kept my old
given to me farm truck for truck duty.

Ray

ps - compare insurance costs. IIRC, the Dodge was 25% more than an
equivalent Chevy. That kinda surprised me.
Old January 25th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On Jan 24, 5:05*pm, wrote:
> Hello. I would first like to start off by stating that I know nothing
> about buying a pickup truck, but I know that I want to get one. I did
> some looking around and found that there are a huge amount of trucks
> that I could choose from, and I don't know where to start. I see that
> there are multiple sizes, with Ford having a few different types,
> Chevy, Dodge, etc. I'd like to know what I should take into account
> when I'm going out to buy one.

You need to define to yourself just what you want to use the truck
for. Consider if you will be using it for work carrying tools,
passengers or what? What kind of parking limitations do you have.
Few of us have the space for a 1 ton truck with crew cab and 8 foot
with dualies.

> With respect to the interior of pickups, is there an option that is
> offered by some company that makes life easier?

I'm not aware of any automotive option that can make life easier.
Some feature can make certain aspects easier. Which aspects of your
life were you looking to improve.

> I'll give you some
> information about myself to help out with answering this question. I
> do real estate work on properties and am going from job site to job
> site. I have a couple of kids, so I'd like something to accommodate my
> work lifestyle as well as my family life. Lastly, price is not a big
> obstacle, but I'm not going to buy the most expensive pickup and max
> out the options.

What is real estate work. Do you carry a lot of tools around?
Consider a small van-like vehicle with seats instead.

Old January 25th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

> To me, a Dakota is too small inside to be used as a car, and too small
> outside to be used as a truck.

Having moved a few kilotons of cargo with a Dakota club-cab over the
past 16 years, I beg to differ. Yes, its too small inside to be used as
a 5-passenger car on a *routine* basis, but its plenty big to take the
kids to school a couple of days a week. And it can carry as much in the
bed as any half-ton, except it can't be as bulky in some dimensions.
IMO, its just about the perfect truck for anyone not using the truck
directly as a part of a construction, farming, or ranching business.
Today's full-size half-tons have grown to ridiculous proportions, so
much so that they're a pain in the ass (well, back to be more accurate)
to actually use. Have you stood beside a modern F-150 and thought about
lifting something over the rail of the bed lately? And the Tundra is a
stinking obscenity of excess mass.