Replacing fuel filter

Old December 29th 04, 01:54 AM
Dave Smith

Default Replacing fuel filter

I want to replace the fuel filter in my '97 Miata. I looked on line
and could only find a description of the procedure for a '90 with the
1.6 engine. The replacement procedure looke WAY more complicated than
I expected and I'm a bit reluctant to try it as I don't have much in
the way of tools and expertise. Is the replacement on a '97 really
that complicated?

Thanks very much.
Old December 29th 04, 04:27 AM
chuckk

Not to complicated. I'd suggest that you go to the Garage section of
www.miata.net and poke around.
The quick release clips will require a removal tool. The correct tool is a
plastic sleeve that slips inside the connector and releases the lock.
(Sears, Auto Zone, etc. carry the tool, which comes with several different
size sleeves.
You will need to depressurize the fuel system, and will also need something
to cap the fuel lines, A pan will be needed to catch the gas that runs out
of the filter and lines. (I'm assuming that the 97 has the same disconnect
clips as the 99.)

Old December 29th 04, 06:18 PM
Ken Lyons

"Dave Smith" > wrote
> I want to replace the fuel filter in my '97 Miata. I looked on line
> and could only find a description of the procedure for a '90 with the
> 1.6 engine. The replacement procedure looke WAY more complicated than
> I expected and I'm a bit reluctant to try it as I don't have much in
> the way of tools and expertise.

"chuckk" > wrote
> You will need to depressurize the fuel system

Done it. The job is even simpler than chuckk wrote. You do not need to
depressurize the fuel system. Or remove the gas cap. Or stand on your head.
Well, perhaps the last.

Remove the shield. Use Vise-Grips to clamp each fuel line. Loosen and slide
the clamps with a pair of pliers. Remove fuel lines from filter. Replace
filter. Just be sure to remove the Vise-Grips before trying to restart the
car. And be ready to deal with gasoline spilling from the filter a bit (pan
under filter, eye protection, etc)
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old December 30th 04, 03:24 AM
Dave Smith

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:18:36 GMT, "Ken Lyons"
> wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote
>> I want to replace the fuel filter in my '97 Miata. I looked on line
>> and could only find a description of the procedure for a '90 with the
>> 1.6 engine. The replacement procedure looke WAY more complicated than
>> I expected and I'm a bit reluctant to try it as I don't have much in
>> the way of tools and expertise.

>"chuckk" > wrote
>> You will need to depressurize the fuel system

>Done it. The job is even simpler than chuckk wrote. You do not need to
>depressurize the fuel system. Or remove the gas cap. Or stand on your head.
>Well, perhaps the last.
>
>Remove the shield. Use Vise-Grips to clamp each fuel line. Loosen and slide
>the clamps with a pair of pliers. Remove fuel lines from filter. Replace
>filter. Just be sure to remove the Vise-Grips before trying to restart the
>car. And be ready to deal with gasoline spilling from the filter a bit (pan
>under filter, eye protection, etc)

Thanks Ken and Chuckk. I'll give it a shot.