27k miles on spark plugs abt right?

Old July 30th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default 27k miles on spark plugs abt right?

My 2000 Mazda Protege has abt 27, 000 miles on the
spark plugs (copper ones I think).

The car seems to be idling rough. Is 27k on a set of
plugs abt right? Time to change them out?

Also....what abt copper vs platinum plugs. Any real
serious advantage to platinum plugs worthy of the extra
cost?

I'm unemployed full time college student right now..so
cost is an issue. I don't mind going platinum IF the
extra cost is really worth it in reduced maint tho.
Old July 31st 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>The plugs should be fine for twice that. The plugwires may be due,
>though. You want the blue NGK set, about $30.

Hmm..... what kind of life do plug wires usually have
in miles? replace plug wires every 60k? More? Less?
Old July 31st 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> The OEM wires on NAs had a reputation for failing around 30k miles. The
> Miata fires each plug every engine revolution, not every other rev, so
> the dielectric breaks down twice as fast.

He was asking about a 2000 Protege.
Does it use the same setup as the miata? Also, do the NB's and NC's only
fire every other rev?

> My blue NGKs are still working fine at 80k miles. Buy new wires--if they
> don't solve the problem, at least you'll have a spare set.

Agreed. If the engine starts stumbling at all, I swap them out. If that
solves the problem, I throw the old set away and get another.

I got closer to 60K or so out of my NGK's on the stock miata, and I have
seen a few sets fail earlier than that.

The "fancy" red Magnecors that came with my current car are still going
strong at about 40K miles.

Pat
Old August 5th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> The "fancy" red Magnecors that came with my current car are still going
> strong at about 40K miles.
>
> Pat

I still vote for the NAPA lifetime wires! They replace them w/o hesitation
whenever I decide it's time.

Chris
99BBB

Old August 6th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

>I still vote for the NAPA lifetime wires! They replace them w/o hesitation
>whenever I decide it's time.

Hmm...I will chk into that for my Protege then!
Old August 7th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Aug 6, 7:31 am, wrote:
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> >I still vote for the NAPA lifetime wires! They replace them w/o hesitation
> >whenever I decide it's time.

> Hmm...I will chk into that for my Protege then!

I'm within about 700+ miles of needing my 3000K service on my 2000
Miata. But is is running great. And being I put less than the 3,000
miles/yr on this car, having two other vehicles, I plan on waiting
till next spring/summer to have the 30K service done. Should only be
less than 2,000 mi over. And can't see that making any difference. I
see where the spark plug wires connectors on the top of the engine are
almost flush with the engine itself (Not sticking out like other cars.
Do they just pop off without any special twists or tools???

Old August 7th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

"Jazz_Azz" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Aug 6, 7:31 am, wrote:
>> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>> >I still vote for the NAPA lifetime wires! They replace them w/o
>> >hesitation
>> >whenever I decide it's time.

>> Hmm...I will chk into that for my Protege then!

> I'm within about 700+ miles of needing my 3000K service on my 2000
> Miata. But is is running great. And being I put less than the 3,000
> miles/yr on this car, having two other vehicles, I plan on waiting
> till next spring/summer to have the 30K service done. Should only be
> less than 2,000 mi over. And can't see that making any difference. I
> see where the spark plug wires connectors on the top of the engine are
> almost flush with the engine itself (Not sticking out like other cars.
> Do they just pop off without any special twists or tools???

Yes, just grab as low as you can and pull straight up. When you put them on,
I like to get them sort of lined up and just barely touching then give them
a nice little push straight down to make sure they get down and seat on the
plug, not bounce off and just sit close by.

Chris
99BBB

Old August 9th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

>I still vote for the NAPA lifetime wires! They replace them w/o hesitation
>whenever I decide it's time.

I cant see where it says anything abt life time
warranty on NAPAS web page? have a link?

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage....aspx?PageId=2

27k miles on spark plugs abt right? [email protected] Technology 12 August 1st 07 06:38 PM
99 XLT SOHC 62K miles, when to change plugs? Mikepier Ford Explorer 12 July 7th 07 06:39 PM
VR6 spark plugs Get Involved VW water cooled 0 March 16th 06 08:15 PM
Spark Plugs?? Branden Nelsen BMW 10 September 5th 05 12:19 AM
156 2.5 V6 Spark plugs? [email protected] Alfa Romeo 0 May 1st 04 11:11 PM