EM Warning Light

Old December 3rd 04, 11:22 AM
A Lurker

Default EM Warning Light

I am in Dorset, UK. My car is an Audi A3 1.8SE petrol engine, 4 years
old, 24,000 miles only.

About 2 weeks ago, my EM warning light came on and stayed on. The car
was still driving perfectly normally, but I took it to the local
franchise dealer, who charged me £100 to diagnose the problem, and
change a temperature sender.

The light came on again after a week, car still driving normally, so
back I went. They told me it was a sporadic fault, indicating weak
mixture. They checked lots of things which proved OK, cleaned some
connections, reset the fault indication, and fortunately charged me
nothing for doing it.

Today the warning light came on again. The car still drives perfectly
normally, but it is going back tomorrow for another check-out. I am
beginning to feel pretty ****ed.

I would welcome any comments, please.

Has anyone else any similar experiences to mine?

Can sporadic problems ever be fixed?

If the car is driving normally, should I even bother to take the car
back to the dealer when this light comes on?

Are there any experts arround other than Audi franchise dealers who
might be better able to fix the problem?

Regards, Phil.

Old December 3rd 04, 11:40 AM
Ronny

"A Lurker" > wrote in message
>I am in Dorset, UK. My car is an Audi A3 1.8SE petrol engine, 4 years
> old, 24,000 miles only.
>
> About 2 weeks ago, my EM warning light came on and stayed on. The car
> was still driving perfectly normally, but I took it to the local
> franchise dealer, who charged me £100 to diagnose the problem, and
> change a temperature sender.
>
> The light came on again after a week, car still driving normally, so
> back I went. They told me it was a sporadic fault, indicating weak
> mixture. They checked lots of things which proved OK, cleaned some
> connections, reset the fault indication, and fortunately charged me
> nothing for doing it.
>
> Today the warning light came on again. The car still drives perfectly
> normally, but it is going back tomorrow for another check-out. I am
> beginning to feel pretty ****ed.
>
> I would welcome any comments, please.
>
> Has anyone else any similar experiences to mine?
>
> Can sporadic problems ever be fixed?
>
> If the car is driving normally, should I even bother to take the car
> back to the dealer when this light comes on?
>
> Are there any experts arround other than Audi franchise dealers who
> might be better able to fix the problem?
>
> Regards, Phil.

Might be worth getting yourself a OBD2 tool then you can diagnose the fault
yourself when you go in next time, ask the dealer what the fault code is,
someone here may be able to help more, specially if they know the fault
code.

I have ordered a obd tool from ebay, so should have it soon. think it was
about 60 quid.

Ronny

Old December 17th 04, 04:49 AM

I just traded in my 2001 A6 2.7T (for the new A6) I loved the car, but the
Check Engine light was on for at least three of the four years I had it.
The dealer fixed, and it would come right back on. Design flaw I hope they
have fixed for '05. No recall, no dealer knowlege of what the problem might
be, once it was turbo parts, mostly they said "miscellaneous fault codes
without any specific cause" Hmmm, does not sound plausible. Anyway,
performance unaffected.