This guy really likes his miata :-)

Old March 6th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default This guy really likes his miata :-)

About 2 minutes long, original video and song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kV4ffemR0BA

Pat
Old March 6th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Eric Baber

"pws" > wrote in message
> About 2 minutes long, original video and song.
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=kV4ffemR0BA
>

> Pat

Very droll.

He'll have to watch out though, driving on the wrong side of the road like
that - he'll get himself into trouble one day.

Eric

Old March 6th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Eric Baber wrote:

> Very droll.
>
> He'll have to watch out though, driving on the wrong side of the road like
> that - he'll get himself into trouble one day.
>
> Eric

Droll. Now there is a term I don't hear in Texas very often, or should I
say, ever.
Gotta visit the U.K. one day, I used to work with a number of British
people who had never been to America before.

We could barely understand each other at first, but once they figured
out "ya'll", that "tumping" something over means to knock it over, and
that "fixin' to do it" means it will be done anywhere from one minute to
ten years, they managed to make it just fine. :-)

Pat
Old March 7th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Eric Baber

> Droll. Now there is a term I don't hear in Texas very often, or should I
> say, ever.

You could try introducing it? Someone's got to!

> Gotta visit the U.K. one day, I used to work with a number of British
> people who had never been to America before.

Come on over, the water's fine (well, in most parts). I'll take you for a
spin in my MX5 if you drop by :-)

> We could barely understand each other at first, but once they figured out
> "ya'll", that "tumping" something over means to knock it over, and that
> "fixin' to do it" means it will be done anywhere from one minute to ten
> years, they managed to make it just fine. :-)

I'll bet you managed to understand each other more quickly than someone from
southern England would with someone from northern Scotland. The accents in
the UK are amazing; a much broader range than in the US, despite being much
smaller geographically.

Eric

Old March 7th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Eric Baber wrote:

> You could try introducing it? Someone's got to!

I'll give it a try. No promises. ;-)

> Come on over, the water's fine (well, in most parts). I'll take you for a
> spin in my MX5 if you drop by :-)

I don't get to drive? I think that driving on the left side of the road
for the first time in my life would make the ride more interesting for
us both, and even more so for you as the passenger in your MX5!

Thanks!

> I'll bet you managed to understand each other more quickly than someone from
> southern England would with someone from northern Scotland. The accents in
> the UK are amazing; a much broader range than in the US, despite being much
> smaller geographically.
>
> Eric

I noticed that.
We had a fairly large number cycle through, plus a few people from
Ireland, Germany and Japan.
One English guy sounded like the typical English King you see in any
American movie, another guy was literally incomprehensible to me at
first because his accent was so thick, with a huge range in-between.

Of course, dealing with a Texas accent could not have been super-easy
for them as well, though Austin is much better on average than when you
hit some of the small towns in Texas.

Pat
Old March 7th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Eric, what part of the UK are you in ? My son is a pilot at RAF
Lakenheath. He just sent me some pic's of a MX5 he saw while he was
looking for a car to buy.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old March 7th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Eric Baber

>> Come on over, the water's fine (well, in most parts). I'll take you for a
>> spin in my MX5 if you drop by :-)

> I don't get to drive? I think that driving on the left side of the road
> for the first time in my life would make the ride more interesting for us
> both, and even more so for you as the passenger in your MX5!

Mmmmm.... no comment!!!

> I noticed that.
> We had a fairly large number cycle through, plus a few people from
> Ireland, Germany and Japan.
> One English guy sounded like the typical English King you see in any
> American movie, another guy was literally incomprehensible to me at first
> because his accent was so thick, with a huge range in-between.

Absolutely. Try this - http://www.bobjude.co.uk/bobjude/geordie/geordie.htm
.. Geordie is possibly the most incomprehensible of the regional accents.

Eric

Old March 7th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Eric Baber

"BRUCE HASKIN" > wrote in message
> Eric, what part of the UK are you in ? My son is a pilot at RAF
> Lakenheath. He just sent me some pic's of a MX5 he saw while he was
> looking for a car to buy.

I'm in Cambridge - no idea where Lakenheath is, I'll have to have a look...

Eric

Old March 7th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Eric Baber wrote:

> Absolutely. Try this - http://www.bobjude.co.uk/bobjude/geordie/geordie.htm
> . Geordie is possibly the most incomprehensible of the regional accents.
>
> Eric

Now that is close, that may be the area he was from, but it has been
well over 10 years and his accent faded considerably while he was here.

This guy's uncle is James Galway, and he was doing music-related work at
the company himself.
The nephew that is, not James Galway, he never did show up. :-)

Pat
Old March 8th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Eric, RAF Lakenheath is about 25 miles NE from you. My older son and I
are going to come over some time in late summer or fall. I think he
lives in Mildenhall.

Bruce Bing '03 LS