My experience with a Honda Civic hybrid

Old November 26th 04, 07:47 PM
muzz

Default My experience with a Honda Civic hybrid

I have read several posts about the Civic hybrid. We have had ours for
a year now.After a thousand miles, with the a/c off, I was averaging
34 mpg. I took it back to the dealer and complained. They said that
since it only had 1000 miles, the mileage figure was not what is to be
expected, and after a good break-in (he suggested 4000 miles), we
should be getting close to the EPA 46/48. We therefore drove the Civic
on a 2000 mile interstate trip to get the mileage up. We averaged 40.6
on the interstate trip. We now have almost 5000 miles on the car, and
the last two tanks averaged 33 mpg. I think that is ridiculous. If we
were getting 43, I would feel scammed, but good night, 33? It's
really a crime. Can't wait to see what the dealer says when I take it
back in a few weeks for service.

I also get very disgusted when some say that it's the way people drive
that is the problem. We live in flat-land and drive it normally
without rabbit starts etc. 33 is disgusting.

Old November 26th 04, 07:56 PM
Caroline

That does sound appalling; I'd be annoyed, too.

A September thread here on Civic hybrid mileage may be of interest to you:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...6a538ae&rnum=3

Some folks (and consumer agencies) report as you do. Others have better
experiences.

"muzz" > wrote

Old November 26th 04, 07:56 PM
Caroline

Old November 26th 04, 08:24 PM
jim beam

muzz wrote:
> I have read several posts about the Civic hybrid. We have had ours for
> a year now.After a thousand miles, with the a/c off, I was averaging
> 34 mpg. I took it back to the dealer and complained. They said that
> since it only had 1000 miles, the mileage figure was not what is to be
> expected, and after a good break-in (he suggested 4000 miles), we
> should be getting close to the EPA 46/48. We therefore drove the Civic
> on a 2000 mile interstate trip to get the mileage up. We averaged 40.6
> on the interstate trip. We now have almost 5000 miles on the car, and
> the last two tanks averaged 33 mpg. I think that is ridiculous. If we
> were getting 43, I would feel scammed, but good night, 33? It's
> really a crime. Can't wait to see what the dealer says when I take it
> back in a few weeks for service.
>
> I also get very disgusted when some say that it's the way people drive
> that is the problem. We live in flat-land and drive it normally
> without rabbit starts etc. 33 is disgusting.

with respect, that's not surprising. the only time the hybrid comes
into its own is in city driving. constant stop/start consumes a lot of
gas with a conventional car. if you live/drive in a non-urban area, the
vehicle needs to get the energy to travel from somewhere, and burning
gas is the only way to do it. that's how hybrids work well in the city
- if the vehicle's not moving, or moving slowly, it doesn't need to burn
gas - conventional cars do.

Old November 26th 04, 08:24 PM
jim beam

Old November 26th 04, 08:47 PM
SoCalMike

muzz wrote:

> I also get very disgusted when some say that it's the way people drive
> that is the problem. We live in flat-land and drive it normally
> without rabbit starts etc. 33 is disgusting.

the toyotas give better mileage in the city.
Old November 26th 04, 08:47 PM
SoCalMike

Old November 26th 04, 09:10 PM
Pars

40.6 mpg seems like a acceptable mileage for interstate driving, since the
battery's assist during hwy driving is at a minimum. So, the 40.6mpg would
indicate that th engine is working within spec without any assist from the
battery. Also, the 33mpg is a norm for city driving, for a non-hybrid Civic,
that's packing an automatic tranny....

Let us know if the mechanic finds anything wrong with the car's Battery
Assist.

Pars
98 Civic Hatch (36 mpg - combined)

news

Old November 26th 04, 09:10 PM
Pars

40.6 mpg seems like a acceptable mileage for interstate driving, since the
battery's assist during hwy driving is at a minimum. So, the 40.6mpg would
indicate that th engine is working within spec without any assist from the
battery. Also, the 33mpg is a norm for city driving, for a non-hybrid Civic,
that's packing an automatic tranny....

Let us know if the mechanic finds anything wrong with the car's Battery
Assist.

Pars
98 Civic Hatch (36 mpg - combined)

news

Old November 26th 04, 09:50 PM
Gary

People who buy them in my area, get them for the HOV lanes. A person at
work has one and I asked him about the mileage, he told me he did not care
about the mileage, be bought the car for the HOV lanes.
If not for the HOV lanes, they would not sell as good as they do now around
here (Northern VA)

Gary

news

MPG of Civic Hybrid SoCalMike Honda 7 December 27th 04 07:32 PM
1997 Honda Civic: Axle and Lower Ball Joint Replacement Notes Backpacker Honda 2 November 18th 04 02:52 AM
Why Are Honda CR-V's Catching Fire? Sparky Honda 4 October 19th 04 05:35 PM
Honda Civic Overperformance Me Honda 0 October 11th 04 02:25 PM
1993 honda civic rockinrobin Honda 6 October 3rd 04 06:48 PM