Why buy a larger pickup instead of a smaller pickup

Old January 28th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TomO[_1_]

Default Why buy a larger pickup instead of a smaller pickup

wrote:

> I'd like to get a pickup truck. Do you guys have any feedback on what
> features are essential or what features would you like to see inside
> of your pickup

Essential features for *my* truck:
- 3/4 ton or more for those times I need to haul a load of soil or rock.
- 4WD for those times I need to get to places that 2WD just won't get.
- Good batteries that can start the truck after weeks of neglect.
- Manual transmission.

Currently, my truck is a 1988 Ford F-250 standard cab, 4WD with the 7.3L
IDI diesel. She's got about 350,000 miles on her and is still able to
limp along at or about the speed limit. Whether or not I'm towing a
sailboat, have a full sized camper in the bed or towing my tractor on a
trailer behind her.

Things I'd like to have:
- That one missing wing window for when it's cold out.
- A solution to the oil consumption problem that doesn't involve
valve/ring work.
- Fresh paint.

--
TomO
Old January 29th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_9_]

TomO wrote:

> Things I'd like to have:
> - That one missing wing window for when it's cold out.
> - A solution to the oil consumption problem that doesn't involve
> valve/ring work.
> - Fresh paint.

Fresh paint? you wuss. The only time a truck should see paint after
the assembly line is if you spill some in the box. That's a truck.
Old January 29th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TomO[_1_]

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 02:00:02 +0000, Ray wrote:

> TomO wrote:
>>
>> Things I'd like to have:
>> - That one missing wing window for when it's cold out. - A solution to
>> the oil consumption problem that doesn't involve valve/ring work.
>> - Fresh paint.
>>

> Fresh paint? you wuss. The only time a truck should see paint after
> the assembly line is if you spill some in the box. That's a truck.

True that.
What was I thinking! Still, just remembering when she was still in her
first 100K miles, all that gleaming paint. Oh well.

--
TomO
Old January 29th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jan 24, 4:05 pm, wrote:
> Hello. I would first like to start off by stating that I know nothing
> about buying a pickup truck, but I know that I want to get one. I did
> some looking around and found that there are a huge amount of trucks
> that I could choose from, and I don't know where to start. I see that
> there are multiple sizes, with Ford having a few different types,
> Chevy, Dodge, etc. I'd like to know what I should take into account
> when I'm going out to buy one.
>
> With respect to the interior of pickups, is there an option that is
> offered by some company that makes life easier? I'll give you some
> information about myself to help out with answering this question. I
> do real estate work on properties and am going from job site to job
> site. I have a couple of kids, so I'd like something to accommodate my
> work lifestyle as well as my family life. Lastly, price is not a big
> obstacle, but I'm not going to buy the most expensive pickup and max
> out the options.
>
> Please offer any feedback. Thanks.

There is the intimidation factor with the larger ones. I have two
friends who admitted they bought a large pickup or SUV for its
intimidation value when they tailgate someone.