Any true Lemons?

Old November 20th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

Default Any true Lemons?

"phaeton" > wrote in message
> But were there ever any cars in which each and every one that rolled
> off the assembly line was indisputably a complete POS in most every
> way possible? Even one way possible?
>
> I find it hard to believe that such a thing would exist.

The Yugo pretty much fit that category..

Some models of the Fiero were deeply flawed, mostly with engine problems.
But
then, GM made a lot of really poor engine designs. On some of them,
essentially all
engines of the series failed prematurely.

I'll have to add that the GM Reatta and Allante are also very troublesome,
possibly
due to the overengineered electrical systems they use. You might find a few
good
ones, but there are lots of really bad ones. (Engine and tranny tended to be
pretty
good...)

Old November 24th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
steamer

'74 911-S

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
Old November 26th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bailey B

Audi. One book on buying used cars said to avoid all Audi. They are
high maintenence an spend a lot of time in the shop regardless which
year model you get.

Old November 26th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

> I'll have to add that the GM Reatta and Allante are also very
> troublesome, possibly
> due to the overengineered electrical systems they use. You might find a
> few good
> ones, but there are lots of really bad ones. (Engine and tranny tended
> to be pretty
> good...)

The '81-'83 Chrysler Imperials got the same reputation because of the
over-complex (for the time) mass-air-flow digital EFI system.
Speed-density would have been a lot more workable at the time and was
used successfully on GM and even other Chrysler (turbocharged) models
during that period and beyond. In retrospect, there was nothing
fundamentally wrong with either the car (it was just a member of the
F/M/J-body family loaded to the gills with luxury items and given some
seriously love-or-hate-it styling) or the basic EFI design. It just had
a bunch of little quirks that when combined together wouldn't tolerate
casual maintenance or lack thereof, not the least of which was that the
MAF sensor was on the aircleaner snorkel so *any* leak around the air
cleaner housing or aircleaner-to-throttle body junction would skew it
off calibration. The cars are something of a minor collectible now,
although virtually all of them have been retrofitted with carburetors (a
factory program in the 80s to appease disgruntled owners). But I have in
fact seen a few purring along with their original EFI as recently as
2003-2004. Interestingly, Chrysler did the exact same thing with the
Bendix mechanically injected 300s back in the late 50s- offered to
convert them to dual quad carburetion for disgruntled owners.

Katrina Lemons spartusfullvue Driving 14 February 13th 06 05:20 PM
Katrina Lemons [email protected] Technology 2 February 9th 06 10:37 PM
Katrina Lemons [email protected] General 0 February 9th 06 04:15 PM
Misterfact- Saturn lemons [email protected] Saturn 0 September 25th 05 11:07 PM
it can arrive dry lemons, do you believe them Carolyn V. La Vigne, SOSA Technology 0 January 14th 05 09:47 PM