Overheating despite new parts

Old April 12th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Garrett Gman

Default Overheating despite new parts

Thank you for the suggestions. I had a shop look at the electronics,
and the wiring to my cooling fan relay switch needed replaced. It had
corroded. The cooling fan now appears to work correctly, but the
corrosion seemed to be a side effect of the overheating (coolant fluid
getting everywhere) and not a cause.

Unfortunately the car still overheats in the same pattern. Last night
I looked under the hood while it was overheating and the coolant fan
was spinning away just as it is supposed to.

When I replaced coolant this morning, I left the cap off and started
the car to see if the level would drop when the thermostat kicked in.
As soon as the car started (it had been sitting in the driveway all
night), the coolant began to leak out of the open cap at a steady
trickle. I also noticed that when I step on the gas the level
immediately drops, but then immediately overflows again as soon as I
take my foot off the gas.

I think for some reason, my cooling system is not circulating when I
am not hitting the gas. This would explain why it only overheats at
redlights - even when the fan is working. I'm going to start looking
for a blockage, starting with the lower radiator hose as suggested
above. Thanks for the advice. I thought I'd keep y'all updated.

Old April 13th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article . com>,
"Garrett Gman" > wrote:

> I also noticed that when I step on the gas the level
> immediately drops, but then immediately overflows again as soon as I
> take my foot off the gas.

That's normal. If the top tank of your radiator has turned from black to
olive green, it's probably pretty well clogged and in need of
replacement.

94 SL2 Overheating Andrew E. Saturn 21 September 24th 06 08:20 PM
FA: 1990 miata parts + much more to come - long list, many OEM &aftermarket parts for 1.6 and 1.8 liter M1's pws Mazda 6 August 2nd 05 02:53 AM
98 E36 316 Overheating MikeyDugg BMW 1 January 14th 05 04:18 PM
Rod Parts & Perfomance Auto Parts Manufacturer and Distributor, Street Rod Headers, Chromed Radiator Hose Jackie Antique cars 0 July 2nd 03 06:45 PM