Engine rebuild question

Old January 17th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Howard Rose[_1_]

Default Engine rebuild question

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:02:40 -0000, "tricky" >
wrote:

>Hi Howard
>
>I just bought some 'junk' engines to learn how to tear down and rebuild.
>
>Literaly 3 hrs and I am ten minutes from splitting the case !
>
>My point is - not a lot of time to spend - and absolutely NO money :-)
>to find out whats up.

That is reassuring, an engine rebuild is completely new territory for
me, but from what I heard VW engines are some of the easiest for a
beginner to rebuild. I'd especially like to save this case, since it
is the original to the car.

>As for the rebuild - new parts etc - you will know more when its apart.
>
>From memory - reground cranks are about 50 quid - if you need one.
>
>Have you posted this on VZi ?

I did, but not much of a reply there.

>Also - consider a used engine - as already suggested - whilst you rebuild
>yours.
>
>A running engine can be got for around 100 pounds - and youll get that back
>when you sell it again afterwards !

I'm stopping at the local VW breakers tomorrow to see what they have
available. Fingers crossed!
--
Howard Rose
www.howard81.co.uk
Old January 17th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky

"Howard Rose" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:02:40 -0000, "tricky" >
> wrote:
>
>>Hi Howard
>>
>>I just bought some 'junk' engines to learn how to tear down and rebuild.
>>
>>Literaly 3 hrs and I am ten minutes from splitting the case !
>>
>>My point is - not a lot of time to spend - and absolutely NO money :-)
>>to find out whats up.

> That is reassuring, an engine rebuild is completely new territory for
> me, but from what I heard VW engines are some of the easiest for a
> beginner to rebuild. I'd especially like to save this case, since it
> is the original to the car.
>

>>As for the rebuild - new parts etc - you will know more when its apart.
>>
>>From memory - reground cranks are about 50 quid - if you need one.
>>
>>Have you posted this on VZi ?

> I did, but not much of a reply there.
>

>>Also - consider a used engine - as already suggested - whilst you rebuild
>>yours.
>>
>>A running engine can be got for around 100 pounds - and youll get that
>>back
>>when you sell it again afterwards !

> I'm stopping at the local VW breakers tomorrow to see what they have
> available. Fingers crossed!
> --
> Howard Rose
> www.howard81.co.uk
> 1966 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
> 1975 Volkswagen 1303S
> 1962 Austin Mini Seven

If you were closer (I'm in Coventry) I could lend you a running engine for a
while.

Google the Tom Wilson book and this group - aparently there is an error in
the text when it comes to rebuilding - something to do with the timing marks
on the crank and cam 180% out ?

I have the book, but cant remember exactly what was posted here before.

Rich
Rich

Old January 18th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Howard Rose wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:02:40 -0000, "tricky" >
> wrote:
>

>>Hi Howard
>>
>>I just bought some 'junk' engines to learn how to tear down and rebuild.
>>
>>Literaly 3 hrs and I am ten minutes from splitting the case !
>>
>>My point is - not a lot of time to spend - and absolutely NO money :-)
>>to find out whats up.

> That is reassuring, an engine rebuild is completely new territory for
> me, but from what I heard VW engines are some of the easiest for a
> beginner to rebuild. I'd especially like to save this case, since it
> is the original to the car.

Anyone can put one of these engines together, and make it run.
To properly rebuild it and end up with a long lasting, cool running,
reliable engine, is a whole different story. The differences may not be
evident during the first 10 thousand miles...
Build time is easily 5 times longer for the latter rebuild too... and
it's a tiny bit more expensive.

You have Ramva to help you get through it too.

Plus you can email me with any questions you have.

Jan
Old January 18th 07, 08:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Juper Wort

> >Also - consider a used engine - as already suggested - whilst you rebuild
> >yours.
> >
> >A running engine can be got for around 100 pounds - and youll get that

back
> >when you sell it again afterwards !

> I'm stopping at the local VW breakers tomorrow to see what they have
> available. Fingers crossed!
> --
> Howard Rose
> www.howard81.co.uk
> 1966 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
> 1975 Volkswagen 1303S
> 1962 Austin Mini Seven

Howard, I've seen a couple of runners on Flea-Bay running out in next day or
two, which should sort you out until you get yours fixed..

James