smells like cookies

Old December 18th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

Default smells like cookies

Hi all,

Yes smells like cookie, and it's alive. Just finished putting in my
refreshed 1600 dp motor that I been putting together during
thanksgiving. Took me 2 days to remove old one swapout all tin,
accessories exhaust, and everything else. One the second day I started
around 7am and by 7pm i was priming my oil. Never had a car that takes
~4.75 qt of oil before! My friend came over to help finish putting
everything back together, man was that just in time, I was so tired
that I could barely stand, fingers all numb. Get everything back
together and we hope into the car to go around the block for a test
drive. What a difference! Driving a bit and I am starting to get a wif
of exhaust wrap smoke. I am guessing the hunger is totaly getting to
me at this point, and I register the exhaust wrap smell as freshly
baked cookies. Get back, check the for oil leaks again, everything is
clean, except for the bit of oil drips around oil filter. I figure, it
was from install, oil filter adapter is mounted at ~45 deg. instead of
vertical, temporary setback untill i make a correct bracket. Later when
i stoped at the gas station, i found more oil there. Oil lines look
clean so it must be coming through the seal, gotta figure this out
later. She runs and runs pretty well. Still need to tune my carb,
recheck valves and reset timing once I recover from all this fun.

Anyway I am rambling at this point, and I must get to the point of this
post. I wanted to thank everyone here for your support, knowledge and
getting this project done so smothly. Special thanks to Jan, Jim, Joey,
Bob and anyone else I might be forgeting.

Thank you,
Anton

P.S. Jan, no bandages were needed during engine removal/install :-) oh
and here are some pictures from the build

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4321999.../1600dualport/

Old December 19th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Wild Bill[_1_]

anton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Yes smells like cookie, and it's alive. Just finished putting in my
> refreshed 1600 dp motor that I been putting together during
> thanksgiving. Took me 2 days to remove old one swapout all tin,
> accessories exhaust, and everything else. One the second day I started
> around 7am and by 7pm i was priming my oil. Never had a car that takes
> ~4.75 qt of oil before! My friend came over to help finish putting
> everything back together, man was that just in time, I was so tired
> that I could barely stand, fingers all numb. Get everything back
> together and we hope into the car to go around the block for a test
> drive. What a difference! Driving a bit and I am starting to get a wif
> of exhaust wrap smoke. I am guessing the hunger is totaly getting to
> me at this point, and I register the exhaust wrap smell as freshly
> baked cookies. Get back, check the for oil leaks again, everything is
> clean, except for the bit of oil drips around oil filter. I figure, it
> was from install, oil filter adapter is mounted at ~45 deg. instead of
> vertical, temporary setback untill i make a correct bracket. Later when
> i stoped at the gas station, i found more oil there. Oil lines look
> clean so it must be coming through the seal, gotta figure this out
> later. She runs and runs pretty well. Still need to tune my carb,
> recheck valves and reset timing once I recover from all this fun.
>
> Anyway I am rambling at this point, and I must get to the point of this
> post. I wanted to thank everyone here for your support, knowledge and
> getting this project done so smothly. Special thanks to Jan, Jim, Joey,
> Bob and anyone else I might be forgeting.
>
> Thank you,
> Anton
>
> P.S. Jan, no bandages were needed during engine removal/install :-) oh
> and here are some pictures from the build
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/4321999.../1600dualport/

Anton,
Feel lucky that your engine only takes 4.75 qts. My 2110 takes 8qts.
Congrats on your rebuild its a good feeling when things go right for a
change!!!

Wild Bill Tucker
President
Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, Fl
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-rareair

Old December 19th 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky

Well done Anton !

Ive just bought a load of junk engines to play with - two siezed and two in
bits.
I thought I'd rebuild a few junkers to get some experiance before I build a
daily driver with turbo !

Glad yours went well !

Rich
ups.com...

Old December 19th 06, 09:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Juper Wort

"tricky" > wrote in message
> Well done Anton !
>
> Ive just bought a load of junk engines to play with - two siezed and two

in
> bits.
> I thought I'd rebuild a few junkers to get some experiance before I build

> daily driver with turbo !
>
> Glad yours went well !
>
> Rich

Rather bizarre, As I just got rid of some......taking up too much shed. Need
to fit kids bikes in as well.

Well done on engine build-up. Maybe one day .....

James

Old December 20th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

Thank you guys,

I think I found the cause of the the oil leak. Looks like hose or
brass fitting at the remote oil filter adapter.

Anton

VW Smells bad Elkmor VW air cooled 6 May 26th 06 10:45 AM
Getting rid of smoking smells Ignasi. Driving 18 April 8th 06 09:34 PM
Getting rid of smoking smells Ignasi. BMW 18 April 8th 06 09:34 PM
why Harvey's poor teacher smells, Annie pulls for cosmetic, rural corners Sen. Robbie di Loop-Cenatiempo General 0 January 14th 05 11:06 PM
will you walk for the plain, if Mark hourly smells the ticket Mike General 0 January 14th 05 08:45 PM