brake master cylinder question

Old August 15th 14, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ivan Vegvary[_2_]

Default brake master cylinder question

1948 Pontiac
Master cylinder extremely difficult to get to.
Drilled and tapped fill cap, attached hose running to a reservoir mounted high up on the firewall. Reservoir is a salvaged clutch reservoir.
Question: Seems to work OK, but, system is kind of sealed. I assume there is no air within the top of the master cylinder.
Is this a problem?
Comments, suggestions appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary
Old August 15th 14, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 8/15/2014 1:37 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
> 1948 Pontiac
> Master cylinder extremely difficult to get to.
> Drilled and tapped fill cap, attached hose running to a reservoir mounted high up on the firewall. Reservoir is a salvaged clutch reservoir.
> Question: Seems to work OK, but, system is kind of sealed. I assume there is no air within the top of the master cylinder.
> Is this a problem?
> Comments, suggestions appreciated.
> Ivan Vegvary

I don't know the answer to your question but for a zillion
reasons you ought to develop the habit of regularly purging
the whole system with new fluid on classic cars. Brake fluid
is hygroscopic and corrodes master cylinders if left a long
while. Your vehicle is not dual-diagonal so a rusted through
brake line is a serious matter. Etc.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old August 16th 14, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
> 1948 Pontiac
> Master cylinder extremely difficult to get to.
> Drilled and tapped fill cap, attached hose running to a reservoir mounted high up on the firewall. Reservoir is a salvaged clutch reservoir.
> Question: Seems to work OK, but, system is kind of sealed. I assume there is no air within the top of the master cylinder.
> Is this a problem?
> Comments, suggestions appreciated.
> Ivan Vegvary

As long as the new reservoir isn't kept full and the hose is 3/8" or so
it should be fine. The reason for the "extra" room is so that as the
fluid heats up and expands it doesn't apply the brakes for you!

I second the idea of keeping fresh fluid in there, and if possible
updating to a dual split system. Should be easy using a master from a
dual drum vehicle.

--
Steve W.
Old August 16th 14, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_4_]

Ivan Vegvary > wrote in
:

> 1948 Pontiac
> Master cylinder extremely difficult to get to.

Shouldn't there be an access-panel set into the floorboard? Back then, such
things were meant to receive constant attention, and provision was usually
made for just that.

> Drilled and tapped fill cap, attached hose running to a reservoir
> mounted high up on the firewall. Reservoir is a salvaged clutch
> reservoir. Question: Seems to work OK, but, system is kind of sealed.
> I assume there is no air within the top of the master cylinder. Is
> this a problem?

You're fine. No air is no problem at all. If the brakes continue to work
properly, then your fix is good (and a good idea).
But it's not "correct"; you may get frowny-faces from purists at your next
show.

--
Tegger
Old August 17th 14, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Friday, August 15, 2014 2:37:50 PM UTC-4, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
> 1948 Pontiac
>
> Master cylinder extremely difficult to get to.
>
> Drilled and tapped fill cap, attached hose running to a reservoir mounted high up on the firewall. Reservoir is a salvaged clutch reservoir.
>
> Question: Seems to work OK, but, system is kind of sealed. I assume there is no air within the top of the master cylinder.
>
> Is this a problem?
>
> Comments, suggestions appreciated.
>
> Ivan Vegvary

Studebaker actually offered a remote reservoir for its cars with the under floor master cylinder, so I don't see the issue with your setup.

If you used a clutch reservoir the cap should have a bellows with a hole in the cap on the atmosphere side of the bellows, so again, no problem.

nate
Old August 18th 14, 07:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ivan Vegvary[_2_]

Nate, thanks for the info and your time.
Ivan Vegvary
Old August 18th 14, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Monday, August 18, 2014 2:25:51 AM UTC-4, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
> Nate, thanks for the info and your time.
>
> Ivan Vegvary

Another thought. Unless you drilled through the vent hole in your old cap for the fitting (presumably this is a typical Jeep/Studebaker underfloor MC with the metal cap, and you used a right angle NPT to hose barb fitting?) you will need to find how the old cap is vented and fill the vent with a loctited grub screw, braze, solder, etc.

nate
Old August 18th 14, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ivan Vegvary[_2_]

Drilled through center of cap and threaded 1/4" NPT. Installed barbed fitting.
Ivan Vegvary
Old August 18th 14, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Monday, August 18, 2014 9:29:39 AM UTC-4, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
> Drilled through center of cap and threaded 1/4" NPT. Installed barbed fitting.
>
> Ivan Vegvary

The typical old American MC that I'm thinking of had the vent hole on the side of the hex of the cap. May want to have a look at that before you fill it up with fluid, so it doesn't leak out and down the side of the MC/frame rail.

nate

cj master brake cylinder csdude Jeep 8 March 12th 09 05:21 AM
AWA [OFFER] brake master cylinder [email protected] General 0 May 25th 06 01:51 PM
Thanks for the FAQ Brake Master Cylinder replacement Frank Boettcher Honda 1 June 26th 05 10:44 PM
help abs brake pump why would brake fluid come out of the master cylinder when ( top ) when brakes are applied when rotters are hot master cylinder has been changed system has been bled 2nd help should pump motor make a sound when ke envirokid Ford Explorer 0 April 8th 05 09:10 PM
Brake booster or Master Cylinder [email protected] Technology 1 April 3rd 05 07:58 PM