Holley 4 barrel on 440.

Old May 4th 05, 08:05 PM
Pete M

Default Holley 4 barrel on 440.

Having a problem on my Jensen Interceptor (440 Chrysler motor), in that once
it's warm it floods big time.

According to my local garage, the jets in the Holley carb are probably way
too large which makes sense to me. The carb appears to be putting too much
fuel in, even for a 440ci motor.

Now, my problem is this.

How do I discern which Holley it is, and what are the right jets to use?

Only marks on the Holley appear to be 6R 6931 on the top, but that means
bugger all to me.

Doesn't help being in the UK, not many grease monkeys know anything about
Holleys.

Any clues?

--
Pete M

Mercedes 260E, Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2
Ford Capri (ressurection started)
VW Golf Clipper Convertible.

COSOC #5
Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain

Old May 4th 05, 09:16 PM
Steve

I'm not a Holley guru (I speak Carter) so I'm not even going to try to
identify the carb... BUT! I don't think its very likely that the jets
are too big- why would the problem suddenly show up if it were the jets?

Holley carbs use a "power valve" enrichment system instead of metering
rods like Carters. One common thing that happens to Holleys is that the
power valve diaphragm will fail, and the symptom is that you get full
enrichment all the time- in other words, it drowns in fuel. My guess is
that its a blown power valve.

You might see if you can get some help from
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer...o/FMCTech.html

Old May 5th 05, 01:23 AM
Dodge-Him

As Steve said the jets will not be too large. First things morons say
when looking at a flooding carburetor. But good clue to get the hell
away from him! Most likely it needs a new power valve and it likely
needs new needles and seats. the O-rings go in them. A kit is in order
with a new power valve or two if it has a rear power valve.
They really are dirt easy to take apart and clean, install new gaskets,
needles and seats, power valve and set fuel levels. I pre set fuel
levels in the bowls by holding bowl up side down and turning nut until
the float is level. (nut adjusts fuel level screw locks it down!) Invert
to regular and float drops down and will rise and close needle as fuel
level rises.
Give yourself some time to scrape and soak old gaskets off.
Buy a book like Super Tuning and modifying HOLLEY CARBURETORS by Dave
Emanuel. everything you need is likely at the holley sight!!

That number does not come up in my book or the holley sight the number
you want will be on the front of the choke tower. It may also be on the
metering block. If that is the number it may be a Chrysler number!
sometimes the manufactures number was used by them only but Holley tech
will be able to help you!

Barry A. Lee

Old May 5th 05, 05:06 PM
Richard Ehrenberg

Yeah, no way it's the jets. If a rebuild doesn't fix it, you may need a fuel
pressure regulator, and/or a vapor return line, and/or some heat isolation
(shield plate, thick gaskets, etc.)
This is because, at least in the USA, what passes for gasoline today bols at
very low temps.

Rick

Old May 5th 05, 08:18 PM
Pete M

In ,
Pete M > decided to enlighten
our sheltered souls with a rant as follows
> Having a problem on my Jensen Interceptor (440 Chrysler motor), in
> that once it's warm it floods big time.
>
> According to my local garage, the jets in the Holley carb are
> probably way too large which makes sense to me. The carb appears to
> be putting too much fuel in, even for a 440ci motor.
>
> Now, my problem is this.
>
> How do I discern which Holley it is, and what are the right jets to
> use?
> Only marks on the Holley appear to be 6R 6931 on the top, but that
> means bugger all to me.

After a bit more ferreting around, it turns out it's a 3310 Holley, and
after further investigation and from the replies, it appears to be a blown
power valve as described by yourselves.

Now I just need to find someone who sells power valves in the UK..

Oh joy.

Thanks for the advice though..

--
Pete M

Mercedes 260E, Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2
Ford Capri (ressurection started)
VW Golf Clipper Convertible.

COSOC #5
Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britaind

Old May 5th 05, 10:34 PM
Steve

Pete M wrote:

> After a bit more ferreting around, it turns out it's a 3310 Holley, and
> after further investigation and from the replies, it appears to be a blown
> power valve as described by yourselves.
>
> Now I just need to find someone who sells power valves in the UK..

While you're at it, see if you can get the widget that Holley sells to
help prevent blown power valves. Its basically a leaky check-valve that
prevents a backfire from blowing the PV diaphragm. It may actually be
built into new power valves, but like I said, I don't really speak
Holley since all my cars have Carters- but you can't hang around Mopars
without hearing about them enough to learn a few things by osmosis.
Old May 5th 05, 11:53 PM
Dodge-Him

There must be speed shops and other supply companies as there are drag
strips and plenty guys running holley's. The 3310 is an great carb.
Dodgem

Old May 5th 05, 11:57 PM
Dodge-Him

For the check ball!!
It's a kit and all you do is drill into the base. in goes the ball and
a ring taps in to allow the ball to stop backfire. although many of the
power valve diaphragms go from age.
Dodgem

Old May 6th 05, 12:04 PM
Pete M

In ,
Dodge-Him > decided to enlighten our sheltered souls
with a rant as follows

>> Now I just need to find someone who sells power valves in the UK..

> There must be speed shops and other supply companies as there are
> drag strips and plenty guys running holley's. The 3310 is an great
> carb.

There are speed shops etc, but to be honest most of the tuned stuff in the
UK tends to be either mad Jap stuff, or Rover V8 based.

Not many people seem to know that much about Holleys, and those that do know
about them tend not to know about rebuilding the bloody things.

However, I'm learning :-)

--
Pete M

Mercedes 260E, Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2
Ford Capri (ressurection started)
VW Golf Clipper Cabriolet

Old May 6th 05, 01:50 PM
Dodge-Him

Before I took my first one apart over 20 years ago I was apprehensive.
They are dirt easy. They look more complicated than they are. The power
valve takes a little understanding but at high vacuum (idle cruise) the
diaphragm closes what is in fact an extra jet. Under acceleration the
vacuum drops and the diaphragm relaxes opening allowing more fuel for
acceleration. When it becomes cracked or perforated in any way it stays
open allowing raw fuel to run in at idle and cruise!

I test them a crude way I suck on then then stick my tongue to it like
you do in the opening of a coke bottle (on the diaphragm side) if it
clings its still good if it drops off it is bad. Of course you can
usually tell just by the symptoms. if the float levels are not to high
then it is the power valve.

Float levels are checked through those little brass screws on the side
of the float bowls. Fuel should be about even with the bottom of the
sight hole.

If your vacuum secondaries are malfunctioning there are kits for it to.
There is a little tube in on the passenger side right barrel just above
the ventures and as air passes with the main throttle bores open wide it
creates a vacuum above the ventures that vacuum works thorgh that tube
on the diaphragm in the vacuum canister on the side of the carb, vacuum
overcomes the spring in the vacuum secondaries allowing the back barrels
to open when needed.
Three things cause this to mnalfuntion. the diaphragm cracks or tears,
the diaphragm is installed improperly thus not sealing and the gasket at
the body of the carb where canister mates to is defective (or lost)
Dodgem

http://summitracing.com/index.htm
http://www.jegs.com/

These places will ship world wide from the US.
They both have excellent on line catalogs.

To find carbs and kits online store/ air and fuel delivery/holley
For books at summit online store/ books/ holley

This would be an excellent book from Sunmmit!

HLY-36-155

$28.69
Estimated Ship Date: Today
Overview
Brand: Holley
Product Line: Holley How-To and Reference Manuals
Title: Super Tuning Holley Carburetors
Author: Alex Walordy
Pages: 68
Binding: Paperback
Quantity: Sold individually.

Learn more about Holley fuel system products.

Book, "Super Tuning Holley Carburetors", 68 Pages, Paperback, Each

Have you ever wanted to know how to rebuild a carburetor? Set up a car
for bracket racing? How about exploded illustrations of current Holley
carbs? These Holley how-to and reference manuals have you covered with
in-depth technical information and plenty of photos and illustrations.