2007 Explorer Keyless Entry Codes No sticker on computer module

Old June 1st 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Default 2007 Explorer Keyless Entry Codes No sticker on computer module

Is there a method to get the codes without the label on the computer
module?

Just bought the Explorer and have no codes for the keyless entry. I
can find no sticker on the computer module.

Is there a way to get the code other than being extorted by the Ford
Dealer?

Thanks for any help.

Old June 1st 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Art McClinton

I assume you are following the owners manual and looking at the correct
device. It took a mirror and was very difficult to read but I was able to
extract the information from the unit. All the dealer will do is open the
access port on the left wheel well (assuming 07 did not move the location)
and read the numbers.

Old June 1st 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Ummmmm... no. The dealer will connect a very expensive scan tool to the
diagnostic port and read the information directly from the module.

For the original poster... "extorted"? Whatever floats your boat, I guess...
One IDS scan tool (in our case a Panasonic ToughBook, the VCM and necessary
cables) runs about $8000 CAD... this doesn't include the $420 CAD per year
subscription fee nor does it address the fact that the USB cable is fragile
and requires replacement a couple of times per year (for a measly $200 CAD).
We have a menu price for connecting this device in order to recoup some of
our costs over the life of the device as well as pay for the techs time.

Why is it... the plumber hands you a bill and you are glad the crapper goes
"Whoosh"... The doctor hands you a bill and you are glad you can go
"Whoosh"... The electrician hands you a bill and you are glad you have
something to do watch while you are waiting to go "Whoosh".... Dealerships,
however "extort" money from people....

I suppose that everything is subjective... One Canadian tech that was
interested in emigrating to the US was advised that a job opening had to be
available for at least three years before the employer could sponsor him...
Apparently, we are "unskilled" labour much like fruit pickers and such... If
this is so, I can only suggest that the next time anyone that feels this
way, hire a fruit picker to repair his car...

Old June 1st 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
DLR

Jim Warman wrote:

> Why is it... the plumber hands you a bill and you are glad the crapper goes
> "Whoosh"... The doctor hands you a bill and you are glad you can go
> "Whoosh"... The electrician hands you a bill and you are glad you have
> something to do watch while you are waiting to go "Whoosh".... Dealerships,
> however "extort" money from people....
>
> I suppose that everything is subjective... One Canadian tech that was
> interested in emigrating to the US was advised that a job opening had to be
> available for at least three years before the employer could sponsor him...
> Apparently, we are "unskilled" labour much like fruit pickers and such... If
> this is so, I can only suggest that the next time anyone that feels this
> way, hire a fruit picker to repair his car...

As someone who was going the other way just to work with a CA firm so they could sell a software package in CA, I got to spend 2 hours convincing the border folks that I was NOT taking away a job from a Canadian.

Cuts both ways.
Old June 1st 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

At the risk of appearing flammatory, you must be a white, middle aged,
heterosexual man... I am finding that, to the Liberals, we are the scum of
the earth... we are, single-handedly and without a doubt, the cause for all
of societys ills. There is no creature as vile as the creatures that built
both of our countries.

The sins of the father will be visited upon the sons...

. ..

Old June 2nd 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Tom from WI

"clipped"
"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> I suppose that everything is subjective... One Canadian tech that was
> interested in emigrating to the US was advised that a job opening had to
> be available for at least three years before the employer could sponsor
> him... Apparently, we are "unskilled" labour much like fruit pickers and
> such... If this is so, I can only suggest that the next time anyone that
> feels this way, hire a fruit picker to repair his car...

Don't feel that your Canadian tech is considered to be "Unskilled" and that
is why he had to wait 3 years to fill an unfilled job. My friend has several
degrees and also had to wait three years while the company advertised the
job he wanted with his salary listed in the ad. After 3 years of no one
applying, he was hired.

Tom

Old June 3rd 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

I feel your pain. My idea of extrotion is $125 for the service. I
shopped other dealers in the area and found one that will do it for
$40. That is reasonable, that is not extortion. I have an appointment
later in the week

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 17:13:19 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Old June 3rd 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

A couple of ways to look at this.. FWIW, we would be $119.95 plus Gouge and
Screw Tax or the effort....

We have some very talented people... these people know they are talented...
We want to keep them here...

Your keypad code is important to you... but one first needs to consider...
did you buy the car from any local dealer? If you had, the salesweasel could
grease down a tech to find the code during his coffee break... If you
didn't, you now want to take someone away from earning money (I hope you
have some idea regarding the flat rate pay system) to do something for
virtually free... for a stranger.. a stranger that may never return again...
(and probably wont now). While your keypad code is important to you, it may
be piffling compared to those things the shop NEEDS to complete in a hectic
day.

The shop that will do it for $40... Ahhh, yes, I see these shops all the
time... eventually, one of these shops will have all of your money and your
car will still run like a bag of ****.... But... we know for sure that I am
an asshole because I wont trust anything the $40 shop did and insist on
checking it myself.. sadly, this is why some shops charge $40 and some
charge more....

point of interest... we appear to be having more and more work sublet from
independants that wont admit to their customer that they are incapable of
resolving their concern(s). Instead. they risk having a customer see one of
our techs road testing their car searching for the magic bullet that will
have the $40 shop look good...

I'm an ass ... no apologies offered.... Many shops promise the world and
can't deliver.... I charge a little more....

Old June 4th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Well this is another Ford dealer. I don't understand why one dealer
will charge $125 for the service and one across town would be willing
to do it for $40.

Maybe I will never use the dealer again. However, the next time I look
for a vehicle I remember who was the reasonable dealer for service and
will probably go there.

I shopped both dealers before I went to a non-Ford dealer to purchase.
Neither had what I wanted. The service writer for the $40 FORD dealer
even told me that the service is a 30 minute and they could do it
during lunch if I like.

I would go there again. A fair price for a service. I admire the
service writer that would not run up the service or a shop that does
not do the same.

BTW, I did tell both service writers that I purchased the vehicle from
another place. I asked for no special "during lunch" pricing or
greasing any one. This was the off the street pricing. There was no
lowballing. Guess which dealer will get my service work.

The keypad is important to me. I shopped for the service. If I could
have done it myself I would have. Since I can not I will take it to
the most reasonable place I can that will do quality work. I would be
a fool to do otherwise.

Its not like I was stealing the codes or trying to beat the system.

I really did not mean to get your panties in a wad. I have no problem
paying a fair price for a service. $80/hr is a reasonable rate.
$250/hr is extortion. If they did not want to do it then they should
have said so.

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 07:50:01 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>A couple of ways to look at this.. FWIW, we would be $119.95 plus Gouge and
>Screw Tax or the effort....
>
>We have some very talented people... these people know they are talented...
>We want to keep them here...
>
>Your keypad code is important to you... but one first needs to consider...
>did you buy the car from any local dealer? If you had, the salesweasel could
>grease down a tech to find the code during his coffee break... If you
>didn't, you now want to take someone away from earning money (I hope you
>have some idea regarding the flat rate pay system) to do something for
>virtually free... for a stranger.. a stranger that may never return again...
>(and probably wont now). While your keypad code is important to you, it may
>be piffling compared to those things the shop NEEDS to complete in a hectic
>day.
>
>The shop that will do it for $40... Ahhh, yes, I see these shops all the
>time... eventually, one of these shops will have all of your money and your
>car will still run like a bag of ****.... But... we know for sure that I am
>an asshole because I wont trust anything the $40 shop did and insist on
>checking it myself.. sadly, this is why some shops charge $40 and some
>charge more....
>
>point of interest... we appear to be having more and more work sublet from
>independants that wont admit to their customer that they are incapable of
>resolving their concern(s). Instead. they risk having a customer see one of
>our techs road testing their car searching for the magic bullet that will
>have the $40 shop look good...
>
>I'm an ass ... no apologies offered.... Many shops promise the world and
>can't deliver.... I charge a little more....

.. .

Old June 4th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
S/B 954RR

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> At the risk of appearing flammatory, you must be a white, middle aged,
> heterosexual man... I am finding that, to the Liberals, we are the scum of
> the earth...

Sheesh, took you long enough. I figured that out in college. This was
during the first Persian Gulf conflict and the only saving grace was one
feminist professor who spent half of the semester convincing the men/soldier
haters that men while annoying were not disposable.