Chrome valve cover follies

Old November 25th 04, 03:55 PM
BK

Default Chrome valve cover follies

I noticed a chrome valve cover for a 1.6 liter Miata on e-bay, being offered
by a seller named Dennis Hill.DBA "chrome2go". They were offering it at a
"buy it now" price of $175 with a $40 credit for a core. I sent the seller
an e-mail inquiring as to how soon the core had to be returned for the $40.
I was told that since they were constantly purchasing them to plate, there
was no time limit. I checked out the chrome2go website, and noticed that it
was for sale there for $150. On 10/04/04, I sent him another e-mail pointing
out the price on the website, and telling him I'd be better off purchasing
from there, that I was going out of town for a few days, and would be
ordering when I returned. He responded that same day, saying they had just
purchased 10 covers, and they would be plated and ready to go by the time he
received my check. When I returned, I tried to place an order on the website
order form, but was unable to make it work, so I sent him an e-mail on
10/12/04 telling him I was mailing a check for $166 ($150 for the cover and
$16 s&h). I put the check in the mail that day.

Since I hadn't heard anything by 10/22, I e-mailed him to make sure he had
received the check. In the meantime, a local friend of mine had also ordered
one from him, paying by money order. When he inquired about the price,
Dennis (chrome2go) told him the price was $175, but since he had gotten the
price from me (and the website), he would honor the $150 price. Dennis has
since changed the price on his website to reflect the new price.

On 10/22, Dennis responded that he had, in fact, received the check and that
my cover was "being boxed up today to be shipped hopefully tomorrow but
definitely by Monday". The check had cleared my bank on 10/21.

Having received nothing by 10/30, I sent another e-mail inquiring about the
shipping and asking by what method it had been shipped and was there a
tracking number? On 11/02, I received an e-mail from him stating that he had
been "out of town" and would check on it tomorrow.

That's the LAST correspondence I've received from him. Several e-mails and
phone calls (all were answered by machine except one.the gentleman that
answered said he was NOT Dennis and didn't know anything about the business.
He said Dennis was out of town and would return in a couple of days. I left
my number again and told him I'd expect a call from Dennis when he
returned.) have all gone unanswered.

My friend who also purchased one has had similar results.

A couple of weeks ago, I contacted a person (TK) that lives in the vicinity
of Dennis. He sent an e-mail inquiring as to the availability of chrome
valve covers for the same type car. Almost immediately, Dennis responded
that he had some covers being plated, and that they'd be ready in about 2
weeks. When TK responded to Dennis that he was "representing the people from
MO that had placed the earlier orders, and requested that Dennis get in
touch with him", all correspondence to HIM stopped.

Two days ago, I sent another e-mail to Dennis giving him until close of
business Wednesday, 11/25 to respond to me, or I will file a complaint with
the AZ Attorney General and the Post Office. It's time to do it.

Old November 27th 04, 07:07 PM
Larry Hill

> is possible to Chrome aluminum valve covers. They do need to be polished
>before the chrome is applied.

Polsh them and they look like chrome.
Larry Hill
Old November 28th 04, 12:30 AM
Chief_Wiggum

IMO polished alum looks WAY BETTER than chrome.

I think chrome is too "bling bling" ... esp on a motor

..02

Old November 29th 04, 01:45 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

Dana, If you know something of this guy / company, you must have checked
them out yourself, I don't think the original poster made mention of his
approval rating on E-Bay. I generally consider that a pretty fair indication
of how someone conducts thier bussiness.

Chris
92BB&T

Old November 29th 04, 03:53 AM
Dana H. Myers

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Dana, If you know something of this guy / company, you must have checked
> them out yourself, I don't think the original poster made mention of his
> approval rating on E-Bay. I generally consider that a pretty fair indication
> of how someone conducts thier bussiness.

I just looked-up "chrome2go" on eBay, found a long list
of auctions for chromed valve covers, and looked at the
feedback rating. I have no personal experience with the
seller in question, but would suspect a glitch.