2000 Mazda Protege ES stabilizer links? OK to NOT replace them?

Old August 12th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default 2000 Mazda Protege ES stabilizer links? OK to NOT replace them?

Started having some kind of rattle on front drivers
side and mechanic says its stabilizer links.

Will cost $160 to have them replaced including labor.

Car also needs front brake job and all wheel alignment
as tires are new. cost will be another $250 or so for
that

Money is tight right now and am wondering if ok to skip
the stabilizer link and just put up with rattling.....
but go ahead and get brakes and alignment done?

Will skipping the stabilizer links adversely affect the
alignment, tire wear, safety, etc?

Car has 155k miles and I'm original owner
Old August 13th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

XS11E > wrote:

>> Will skipping the stabilizer links adversely affect the
>> alignment, tire wear, safety, etc?

>Very likely. Spend the bucks, you'll save on tires in the long run.

I just checked my excel sheet with car
records for this car and see that I had
the Mazda dealer replace the front
left/right sway bars on 7/2/2003.

Car had 52k miles on it then and now has
155k miles

Does 5 years of life and 103k miles use
seem abt right for these sway links?
Old August 14th 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

XS11E > wrote:

>> Does 5 years of life and 103k miles use
>> seem abt right for these sway links?

>Yes, it does to me, any other opinions here?

OK

Well I just have never owned a car where the sway bar
links have gone bad...so didn't know