torqueflite 727 problem, need help....please. Long, sorry.

Old September 27th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NudoSmasher

Default torqueflite 727 problem, need help....please. Long, sorry.

On 26 Sep 2006 05:29:12 -0700, "duty-honor-country"
> wrote:

>Bob, you worked as a phone guy for Bell Telephone- what the hell do you
>know about a torqueflite ? <snip>

I've rebuild two years ago. How many have you done?

Start of paranoid delusional "projection" rant:

>What a windbag ....
>
>Those suggestions you put up above, are from some old transmission
>repair manual, no doubt. I wager you bought an old Chrysler repair
>book at a yard sale for $1, and are now dispensing your vast stores of
>written knowledge on Usenet.

End of paranoid delusional "projection" rant.

What you've just admitted is how you do things, Noodles. Projection
like this is how many schizophrenics/psychotics/paranoid delusionals
try to impress people that they are sane...and you do it all the time.

By the way...I get a nice, fat pension and savings plan dividend check
every month. You get what....SSI?
Old September 27th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
John Kunkel

"DeserTBoB" > wrote in message
> On 26 Sep 2006 17:48:59 -0700, "cjboater" > wrote:
>
>> Dump the shift kit. Never heard of a "Fairbanks" shift kit for any

> Torqueflite. Go back stock, and pay SPECIAL attention to placement of
> those check balls.

Fairbanks is an old and well-respected name in performance transmissions and
parts, they are now in league with Superior and their Transaction® shift
kits are basically the same as the TransGo and B&M Transpak®.
A properly installed shift kit is an enhancement to the transmission so I
would disagree on removing it.

Old September 27th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:52:24 -0700, "John Kunkel" >
wrote:

>Fairbanks is an old and well-respected name in performance transmissions and
>parts, they are now in league with Superior and their Transaction® shift
>kits are basically the same as the TransGo and B&M Transpak®.
>A properly installed shift kit is an enhancement to the transmission so I
>would disagree on removing it. <snip>

Superior and especially B&M, as well as TransGo I know. Fairbanks
must not be marketed well in this area, as I've never come across them
out here. B&M, which got its start out here with performance kits for
cast iron HydraMatics in the '50s, ran the whole show until ATP went
nationwide with their excellent TransGo® kits.

The problem here is that he made a change to the valving, got
everything together and all hell broke loose. To do any
troubleshooting, I'd think it'd be wise to go back to the stock valve
body configuration, then look at control pressure and then what the
pattern's doing. Already, according to the OP, one of the check balls
was deleted, which I diagnosed right off. The shift kit may, or may
*not* be causitive here, so removing it and going to stock will allow
diagnosis of the front clutch action, as well as the kickdown band.

A "late" shift to direct would seem to eliminate the kickdown band
being maladjusted extremely tight, but it doesn't clear the servo
being either stuck mechnically or hydrualically. It's possible, with
a misapplied check ball, to have the band servo apply and then have no
exhaust passage, thus giving the situation that Steve alludes to of
the box trying to lock itself up. However, the OP says he now gets
direct, but very late, so I'm thinking that the servo is mechanically
OK, but MAY be hydraulically held operated. Thus, going back to the
original valve body configuration may (or may not) see if that problem
is cleared, as well.

If the kickdown band servo isn't helped by going back to original, I'd
take a very harsh look at a screwed up/jammed front clutch seal ring.
This would also cause low control pressure, which would also cause a
late and soft 2-3. It's also possible, with very low control
pressure, that the 3500 RPM he's reporting before getting direct could
be a lot of slippage, as well.
Old September 28th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 26 Sep 2006 17:48:59 -0700, "cjboater" > wrote:

> I'm going to try adjusting the tv cable a bit more tonight and see if
>the shift points get better. <snip>

There's only one optimal position for the TV cable to be in...lever
fully actuated at full throttle. Since you've done a transplant, it's
possible that the throttle linkage geometry is screwed up now, which
will give you a hosed up pattern and an improper coast-down 2-1. Like
the old HydraMatics, the Torqueflite requires the TV linkage to track
properly in order to program the TV to give the right shift points and
firmness at the right power settings. If you're not getting enough
cable draw action from idle to full throttle, you will get high shift
points and high coast down downshifts, assuming you set the linkage
properly for being fully actuated at full throttle. If you maladjust
for lower points, you'll have no kickdown and sloppy shifts under
power.
Old September 28th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country

John Kunkel wrote:
> "DeserTBoB" > wrote in message
> > On 26 Sep 2006 17:48:59 -0700, "cjboater" > wrote:
> >
> >> Dump the shift kit. Never heard of a "Fairbanks" shift kit for any

> > Torqueflite. Go back stock, and pay SPECIAL attention to placement of
> > those check balls.

> Fairbanks is an old and well-respected name in performance transmissions and
> parts, they are now in league with Superior and their Transaction® shift
> kits are basically the same as the TransGo and B&M Transpak®.
> A properly installed shift kit is an enhancement to the transmission so I
> would disagree on removing it.

John,

This "desertbob" character is a poser who is posting from auto repair
manuals- he doesn't have any hands on experience fixing cars. This is
the same guy that disassembled an entire 318 motor, when all it needed
was a new thersmostat. So of course, he knows nothing about Fairbanks.
You are correct in that they make top-notch converters and trans
parts.

You are correct- a shift kit for an auto trans will "firm up" the
shifts, which causes a quick, abrupt shift- and LESS SLIPPAGE- shift
kits will extend band and clutch pack life.

In 1985 I had a TH350 GM auto trans rebuilt, and put a B&M transpak
shift kit in it, but retained the modulator for street part-throttle
driving. (the most drastic kit mode specified to remove the modulator
for very high upshift points for racing) That transmission is still in
my Firebird to this date, has never caused any problems, and has been
drag raced extensively at the track, and driven very hard on the
street. Had it not been for the kit, the trans would be toast by now.

Synthetic trans fluid helped too, of course.

Old September 28th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 28 Sep 2006 05:22:23 -0700, "duty-honor-country"
> wrote:

>John,
>
>This "desertbob" character <snip>

....just busted you with yet another sock puppet account...
that you opened today.

Add
to your kill filers.

>You are correct- a shift kit for an auto trans will "firm up" the
>shifts, which causes a quick, abrupt shift- and LESS SLIPPAGE- shift
>kits will extend band and clutch pack life. <snip>

"Trans kits" are unnecessary in 90% of applications...idiot.

>In 1985 I had a TH350 GM auto trans rebuilt, and put a B&M transpak
>shift kit in it, but retained the modulator for street part-throttle
>driving. (the most drastic kit mode specified to remove the modulator
>for very high upshift points for racing) That transmission is still in
>my Firebird to this date, has never caused any problems, and has been
>drag raced extensively at the track, and driven very hard on the
>street. Had it not been for the kit, the trans would be toast by now. <snip>

POSER ALERT: This moron, Charlie Nudo of Drums, PA, claims to have a
Pontiac Firebird 455 HO with a "tunnel ram" manifold. It probably
doesn't run. Also, the Chevrolet THM350 does NOT fit the Pontiac
block at all. B-O-P cars had their own THM375 made by the former
Detroit Transmission Divison, NOT Chevrolet Division, with the B-O-P
bell housing pattern.

Charlie Nudo...shown to be a liar again.
Old September 28th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Charlie Deludo

duty-honor-country aka Charlie Nudo wrote:
> John Kunkel wrote:

> > > Torqueflite. Go back stock, and pay SPECIAL attention to placement of
> > > those check balls.

> > Fairbanks is an old and well-respected name in performance transmissions and
> > parts, they are now in league with Superior and their Transaction® shift
> > kits are basically the same as the TransGo and B&M Transpak®.
> > A properly installed shift kit is an enhancement to the transmission so I
> > would disagree on removing it.

> John,
>
> This "desertbob" character is a poser who is posting from auto repair
> manuals- he doesn't have any hands on experience fixing cars.

Charlie Nudo, why yet another new Google account?

> You are correct- a shift kit for an auto trans will "firm up" the
> shifts, which causes a quick, abrupt shift- and LESS SLIPPAGE- shift
> kits will extend band and clutch pack life.
>
> In 1985 I had a TH350 GM auto trans rebuilt, and put a B&M transpak
> shift kit in it, but retained the modulator for street part-throttle
> driving. (the most drastic kit mode specified to remove the modulator
> for very high upshift points for racing) That transmission is still in
> my Firebird to this date, has never caused any problems, and has been
> drag raced extensively at the track, and driven very hard on the
> street. Had it not been for the kit, the trans would be toast by now.

Total lie. He had an old beat to **** pontiac years ago. Charlie is the
biggest blowhard on Usenet always talking about his adventures when the
truth is he just a overweight dumpster diver who is on SSI.

You take many pictures for your failed Ebay auctions, why not show them
a recent picture of this great car?

Old September 28th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
John Kunkel

"DeserTBoB" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:52:24 -0700, "John Kunkel" >
> wrote:
>
>>Fairbanks is an old and well-respected name in performance transmissions
>>and
>>parts, they are now in league with Superior and their Transaction® shift
>>kits are basically the same as the TransGo and B&M Transpak®.
>>A properly installed shift kit is an enhancement to the transmission so I
>>would disagree on removing it. <snip>

> Superior and especially B&M, as well as TransGo I know. Fairbanks
> must not be marketed well in this area, as I've never come across them
> out here. B&M, which got its start out here with performance kits for
> cast iron HydraMatics in the '50s, ran the whole show until ATP went
> nationwide with their excellent TransGo® kits.

Fairbanks kits are the same as Superior, they're in bed together.

B&M didn't actually make "kits" for the iron Hydro, they built a unit manual
controlled Hydro called the Hydro-Stik with the famous logo of a robot
holding a shift lever.

TransGo is independent of ATP and is marketed through many other vendors.

> The problem here is that he made a change to the valving, got
> everything together and all hell broke loose.

The "change in valving" had nothing to do with it.

> Already, according to the OP, one of the check balls
> was deleted, which I diagnosed right off. The shift kit may, or may
> *not* be causitive here, so removing it and going to stock will allow
> diagnosis of the front clutch action, as well as the kickdown band.

The missing #3 ball was the cause for no 2-3 upshift (you weren't alone in
suggesting that) and the backflow through the missing check ball partially
applied the rear band which accounts for the "bogging" feeling.
The remainder of the OP's current late shift timing issues are related to
throttle pressure adjustment and not the shift kit. The late 2-3 upshift and
the early forced kickdown are solely the result of too much throttle
pressure for the throttle opening; a simple cable/linkage adjustment should
solve that problem.

Old September 28th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
John Kunkel

"duty-honor-country" > wrote in message
ups.com...

John Kunkel wrote:
> "DeserTBoB" > wrote in message
> > On 26 Sep 2006 17:48:59 -0700, "cjboater" > wrote:
> >
> >> Dump the shift kit. Never heard of a "Fairbanks" shift kit for any

> > Torqueflite. Go back stock, and pay SPECIAL attention to placement of
> > those check balls.

> Fairbanks is an old and well-respected name in performance transmissions
> and
> parts, they are now in league with Superior and their Transaction® shift
> kits are basically the same as the TransGo and B&M Transpak®.
> A properly installed shift kit is an enhancement to the transmission so I
> would disagree on removing it.

John,

This "desertbob" character is a poser who is posting from auto repair
manuals- he doesn't have any hands on experience fixing cars.

Duly noted, but even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.