My trailer

Old July 19th 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
stryped[_3_]

Default My trailer

I have a trailer with what I think are axles out of a 50's era truck
front end. These have 6 lug 15 inch wheels. Can anyone tell me what
wheels would fit as replacements?

The center caps for these axles have screw on dust caps. Someone even
cut the wheel hole wider with a torch to make it fit.

Would any 6 lug wheel fit? I can email pictures if that helps.
Old July 19th 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
Gerry

On Jul 19, 12:59*pm, stryped > wrote:
> I have a trailer with what I think are axles out of a 50's era truck
> front end. These have 6 lug 15 inch wheels. Can anyone tell me what
> wheels would fit as replacements?
>
> The center caps for these axles have screw on dust caps. Someone even
> cut the wheel hole wider with a torch to make it fit.
>
> Would any 6 lug wheel fit? I can email pictures if that helps.

1969 Chevy P/U ould be where I'd start. Used to be some Datsun trucks
that used the same pattern, too. I don't know of anything more recent
Old July 19th 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
Bob La Londe

"Gerry" > wrote in message
> On Jul 19, 12:59 pm, stryped > wrote:
>> I have a trailer with what I think are axles out of a 50's era truck
>> front end. These have 6 lug 15 inch wheels. Can anyone tell me what
>> wheels would fit as replacements?
>>
>> The center caps for these axles have screw on dust caps. Someone even
>> cut the wheel hole wider with a torch to make it fit.
>>
>> Would any 6 lug wheel fit? I can email pictures if that helps.

> 1969 Chevy P/U ould be where I'd start. Used to be some Datsun trucks
> that used the same pattern, too. I don't know of anything more recent

If they had to cut out the wheels to fit its probably a Ford hub, and those
are probably GM or Dodge rims. 1/2 ton Ford wheels should fit. Visit any
local junkyard and ask to see if you can try some old rims.

Old July 19th 10, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
Gerry

On Jul 19, 3:04*pm, "Bob La Londe" > wrote:
> "Gerry" > wrote in message

> > On Jul 19, 12:59 pm, stryped > wrote:
> >> I have a trailer with what I think are axles out of a 50's era truck
> >> front end. These have 6 lug 15 inch wheels. Can anyone tell me what
> >> wheels would fit as replacements?

> >> The center caps for these axles have screw on dust caps. Someone even
> >> cut the wheel hole wider with a torch to make it fit.

> >> Would any 6 lug wheel fit? I can email pictures if that helps.

> > 1969 Chevy P/U ould be where I'd start. Used to be some Datsun trucks
> > that used the same pattern, too. I don't know of anything more recent

> If they had to cut out the wheels to fit its probably a Ford hub, and those
> are probably GM or Dodge rims. *1/2 ton Ford wheels should fit. *Visit any
> local junkyard and ask to see if you can try some old rims.

The old Datsun pu wheel used a larger center hole too, I think
Old July 19th 10, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
Up North

"stryped" > wrote in message
>I have a trailer with what I think are axles out of a 50's era truck
> front end. These have 6 lug 15 inch wheels. Can anyone tell me what
> wheels would fit as replacements?
>
> The center caps for these axles have screw on dust caps. Someone even
> cut the wheel hole wider with a torch to make it fit.
>
> Would any 6 lug wheel fit? I can email pictures if that helps.

Axles with screw on dust caps are old. My guess is 30's Chev car. I believe
50's and 60's Chev PU wheels fit.
Steve

Old July 20th 10, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
stryped[_3_]

On Jul 19, 4:11*pm, "Up North" > wrote:
> "stryped" > wrote in message

> >I have a trailer with what I think are axles out of a 50's era truck
> > front end. These have 6 lug 15 inch wheels. Can anyone tell me what
> > wheels would fit as replacements?

> > The center caps for these axles have screw on dust caps. Someone even
> > cut the wheel hole wider with a torch to make it fit.

> > Would any 6 lug wheel fit? I can email pictures if that helps.

> Axles with screw on dust caps are old. My guess is 30's Chev car. I believe
> 50's and 60's Chev PU wheels fit.
> Steve

Will I have problems finding bearings for it?
Old July 20th 10, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

The bearings probally have a manufacturer/part number on them.Check your
local auto parts stores.

I own an old trailer.It has two axels and four wheels, five spoke
iron/steel wheels.The wheels are inboard, not outboard like most
trailers nowadays.
cuhulin

Old July 20th 10, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
Up North

"stryped" > wrote in message
On Jul 19, 4:11 pm, "Up North" > wrote:
> "stryped" > wrote in message

> >I have a trailer with what I think are axles out of a 50's era truck
> > front end. These have 6 lug 15 inch wheels. Can anyone tell me what
> > wheels would fit as replacements?

> > The center caps for these axles have screw on dust caps. Someone even
> > cut the wheel hole wider with a torch to make it fit.

> > Would any 6 lug wheel fit? I can email pictures if that helps.

> Axles with screw on dust caps are old. My guess is 30's Chev car. I
> believe
> 50's and 60's Chev PU wheels fit.
> Steve

>Will I have problems finding bearings for it?

What are they ball bearings or tapered roller bearings?

Old July 20th 10, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_2_]

"Up North" > fired this volley in news:i24ek501o4
@enews5.newsguy.com:

> What are they ball bearings or tapered roller bearings?

Shouldn't matter much. Bearings are pretty much available for anything you
want to name.

But Stryped wants YOU to find the bearings. Otherwise, he wouldn't be
asking you if they were available, he'd be calling a bearing shop.

LLoyd
Old July 20th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
cavedweller

On Jul 20, 12:50*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
<lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:
> "Up North" > fired this volley in news:i24ek501o4
> @enews5.newsguy.com:
>
> > What are they ball bearings or tapered roller bearings?

> Shouldn't matter much. *Bearings are pretty much available for anything you
> want to name. *
>
> But Stryped wants YOU to find the bearings. *Otherwise, he wouldn't be
> asking you if they were available, he'd be calling a bearing shop.
>
> LLoyd

Naw, Lloyd, this is a new crappy trailer, not the one he was asking
about a number of weeks ago.

Finland. Limo towing trailer - limousine towing a trailer.jpg Stas Auto Photos 3 May 18th 08 12:10 AM
Trailer FS Stupendous Man Jeep 2 January 12th 08 12:48 PM
trailer Geotec 4x4 1 June 22nd 07 07:43 PM
Trailer for C4 Howardyoube Corvette 2 November 7th 04 03:22 PM
How many have a trailer? [email protected] Mazda 20 September 18th 04 11:06 PM