1994 Caravan Heater - How hot is yours?

Old October 10th 09, 03:41 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Bob F

Default 1994 Caravan Heater - How hot is yours?

I recently acquired a 1994 Dodge Caravan. I am concerned abour the heater
output. Turning it on to high heat in Seattle's 50-60F weather, the air coming
out seems to only get warm, not nearly as hot as my previous 1987 Nissan van.

I am wondering if this heater is partially plugged or the engine thermostat is
not right. The temperature guage show slightly less than 1/2 scale when the
engine is fully warmed.

If you have a van somewhat near this "vintage", can you tell me if this is
typical?

I will be using this van for skiing this winter, so a good heater is useful.

Old October 10th 09, 03:57 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Bob F

Bob F wrote:
> I recently acquired a 1994 Dodge Caravan. I am concerned abour the
> heater output. Turning it on to high heat in Seattle's 50-60F
> weather, the air coming out seems to only get warm, not nearly as hot
> as my previous 1987 Nissan van.
> I am wondering if this heater is partially plugged or the engine
> thermostat is not right. The temperature guage show slightly less
> than 1/2 scale when the engine is fully warmed.
>
> If you have a van somewhat near this "vintage", can you tell me if
> this is typical?
>
> I will be using this van for skiing this winter, so a good heater is
> useful.

Oops!

6 cyl 3.3L 4 spd automatic. (3spd w/overdrive)

Old October 11th 09, 01:22 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
QX

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 07:57:04 -0700, "Bob F" >
wrote:

>Bob F wrote:
>> I recently acquired a 1994 Dodge Caravan. I am concerned abour the
>> heater output. Turning it on to high heat in Seattle's 50-60F
>> weather, the air coming out seems to only get warm, not nearly as hot
>> as my previous 1987 Nissan van.
>> I am wondering if this heater is partially plugged or the engine
>> thermostat is not right. The temperature guage show slightly less
>> than 1/2 scale when the engine is fully warmed.
>>
>> If you have a van somewhat near this "vintage", can you tell me if
>> this is typical?
>>
>> I will be using this van for skiing this winter, so a good heater is
>> useful.

>Oops!
>
>6 cyl 3.3L 4 spd automatic. (3spd w/overdrive)

A lot of times, it's not the A/C or heater, but the air duct doors are
not coming to the proper positions to blow heat or A/C air into the
cabin.
Do a web search for "Caravan" "Heater, A/C calibration". It involves
holding certain buttons down for a few seconds.
That resets the vacuum doors to the original factory settings.
Worked like a champ for my van.

Old October 11th 09, 01:55 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
cavedweller

On Oct 10, 10:41*am, "Bob F" > wrote:
> I recently acquired a 1994 Dodge Caravan. I am concerned abour the heater
> output. Turning it on to high heat in Seattle's 50-60F weather, the air coming
> out seems to only get warm, not nearly as hot as my previous 1987 Nissan van.
>
> I am wondering if this heater is partially plugged or the engine thermostat is
> not right. The temperature guage show slightly less than 1/2 scale when the
> engine is fully warmed.
>
> If you have a van somewhat near this "vintage", can you tell me if this is
> typical?
>
> I will be using this van for skiing this winter, so a good heater is useful.

Make sure your coolant level is correct.

Otherwise, there was a Tech Service Bulletin covering blend door
sticking.
Old October 18th 09, 12:33 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Bob F

QX wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 07:57:04 -0700, "Bob F" >
> wrote:
>
>> Bob F wrote:
>>> I recently acquired a 1994 Dodge Caravan. I am concerned abour the
>>> heater output. Turning it on to high heat in Seattle's 50-60F
>>> weather, the air coming out seems to only get warm, not nearly as
>>> hot as my previous 1987 Nissan van.
>>> I am wondering if this heater is partially plugged or the engine
>>> thermostat is not right. The temperature guage show slightly less
>>> than 1/2 scale when the engine is fully warmed.
>>>
>>> If you have a van somewhat near this "vintage", can you tell me if
>>> this is typical?
>>>
>>> I will be using this van for skiing this winter, so a good heater is
>>> useful.

>> Oops!
>>
>> 6 cyl 3.3L 4 spd automatic. (3spd w/overdrive)
>>

> A lot of times, it's not the A/C or heater, but the air duct doors are
> not coming to the proper positions to blow heat or A/C air into the
> cabin.
> Do a web search for "Caravan" "Heater, A/C calibration". It involves
> holding certain buttons down for a few seconds.
> That resets the vacuum doors to the original factory settings.
> Worked like a champ for my van.

Older technology for an older van.

Following the procedure he
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...ravan-3-slight

It took a #2 philips screwdriver and about 5 minutes to re-adjust the blend door
movement.

Thanks for the suggestions. Lots of heat now. I'm ready for ski season.

Old November 7th 09, 04:25 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:33:38 -0700, Bob F wrote:

> QX wrote:

>>> Oops!
>>>
>>> 6 cyl 3.3L 4 spd automatic. (3spd w/overdrive)
>>>

>> A lot of times, it's not the A/C or heater, but the air duct doors are
>> not coming to the proper positions to blow heat or A/C air into the
>> cabin.
>> Do a web search for "Caravan" "Heater, A/C calibration". It involves
>> holding certain buttons down for a few seconds. That resets the vacuum
>> doors to the original factory settings. Worked like a champ for my van.

> Older technology for an older van.
>
> Following the procedure he
> http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...ravan-3-slight
>
> It took a #2 philips screwdriver and about 5 minutes to re-adjust the
> blend door movement.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. Lots of heat now. I'm ready for ski season.

Great. That's just great. NOW he tells me!

Three years ago I bought a Scion tC, and had a Grand Voyager and a
Chrysler LHS (GREAT car, BTW, and I am the number 1 Japanese car fan in
the country!). I did a spreadsheet comparison of the work I could do, the
work I would have to have someone else do, and the parts needed, and the
Grand Voyager won by about $1,000, so I traded the LHS for $600 towards
the Scion (still makes me sick to think about it...).

I had the same heat problem, and in trying to remove the water pump I
broke the idler pully bolt off in the block. Hey! I TURNED it the way they
said to!

No problem with the water pump, except I broke 6 of the 10 bolts holding
it in. I gave the van away. Then I heard about the blend door...

That's OK. I pick up a '92 Grand Caravan tomorrow...