yoyo loach buried alive?

Old March 18th 04, 08:28 PM
Hank Barta

Default yoyo loach buried alive?

Has anyone ever heard of this actually happening? Mine seems to
be trying. When he (she?) was smaller, he was happy to hide in any
convenient crack, but now he's digging the gravel out from under a
piece of sandstone that weighs about 4 pounds. It is not perched
on something where it could tip and fall on him, but I still wonder
if he'll succeed in trapping himself under it. I'm wondering if this
has happened to anyone else.

He's over 4" long and seems to be pretty strong.

thanks,
hank

Old March 18th 04, 09:01 PM
Rick

"Hank Barta" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s01...

Has anyone ever heard of this actually happening? Mine seems to
be trying. When he (she?) was smaller, he was happy to hide in any
convenient crack, but now he's digging the gravel out from under a
piece of sandstone that weighs about 4 pounds. It is not perched
on something where it could tip and fall on him, but I still wonder
if he'll succeed in trapping himself under it. I'm wondering if this
has happened to anyone else.

He's over 4" long and seems to be pretty strong.

thanks,
hank

sitting in my fish room I can hear mine digging out the gravel under the
sponge filter and piece of driftwood.

Rick

Old March 18th 04, 11:48 PM
Hank Barta

Rick wrote:

sitting in my fish room I can hear mine digging out the gravel under the
sponge filter and piece of driftwood.

Mine too. I looked again it looked like he was pinned under the rock,
so I lifted it up. Except for going vertical, he didn't move. I had
to push him out of the way to put the rock down and I think that
left him unhappy. There's a lot of gravel moving around at the
moment and he's back under the rock.
Old March 18th 04, 11:49 PM
Splitskull

he is trying to dig... that's all... my yoyo is happily joining the 2 banjo
catfish when they start to dig and cover themselves in gravel.

Maybe yours lost something under that rock???

--

------Splitskull-----

news:[email protected]_s01...

Old March 19th 04, 02:16 AM
Rick

"Hank Barta" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s04...
Rick wrote:

sitting in my fish room I can hear mine digging out the gravel under the
sponge filter and piece of driftwood.

Mine too. I looked again it looked like he was pinned under the rock,
so I lifted it up. Except for going vertical, he didn't move. I had
to push him out of the way to put the rock down and I think that
left him unhappy. There's a lot of gravel moving around at the
moment and he's back under the rock.

save your breath Hank. That fish is going to make himself a home anywhere he
wants. I thought that perhaps he was digging for snails as there are always
some around the sponge filter but I really think he does it because he likes
to!!

Rick

Old March 19th 04, 04:53 PM
Hank Barta

Splitskull wrote:

Maybe yours lost something under that rock???

No, that would be the cats, but they only hide their toys under the
furniture and give the tanks a pretty wide berth. Except for the one
that thinks the water coming out of the filter tastes pretty good. :P

thanks,
hank

Old March 19th 04, 07:29 PM
Andy Hill

Hank Barta wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of this actually happening? Mine seems to
be trying. When he (she?) was smaller, he was happy to hide in any
convenient crack, but now he's digging the gravel out from under a
piece of sandstone that weighs about 4 pounds. It is not perched
on something where it could tip and fall on him, but I still wonder
if he'll succeed in trapping himself under it. I'm wondering if this
has happened to anyone else.

He's over 4" long and seems to be pretty strong.

Sounds pretty typical. My four yoyos have the spaces between and around my
rocks pretty well excavated. Never had any trouble with their getting stuck,
although they are always laying around in positions that would mean "dead fish"
with any other fish.

snails vs loach Velvet General 9 June 4th 04 11:10 PM
New Clown Loach Sarah General 31 August 8th 03 04:02 AM
what do you do when you can't find loach? netnews.agilent.com General 2 August 1st 03 06:27 AM
Albino Khuli Loach - Albino Weather Dojo Loach Velvet AciD General 2 July 18th 03 07:39 PM