81 rabbit--Oxygen sensor Test

Old September 11th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

Default 81 rabbit--Oxygen sensor Test

I have been running the Meter Tests on the oxygen sensor on a 81 1.7L
FI rabbit, and the Bentley Manual at page 74 of section 4, says that
after the engine is started, and runs for a few minutes, that the dwell
meter reading should fluctuate. My question is how much fluctuation is
supposed to occur. When I ran the test at about 1500 rpm the dwell
meter moves around the 45 degree mark, but only plus or minus 3 or 4
degrees, when the engine speed is increased to say 3000rpm, the dwell
reading increases but still there is not much fluctuation.
How much fluctuation is supposed to occur.
All the other tests checked out.
The oxygen sensor has less than 6000 miles on it.

Old September 11th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many daves

at idle introduce a vacuum leak, or inject some carb cleaner into a vacuum
hose, and watch your dwell meter. ;-)
sounds like it is online and functioning.

ups.com...

Old September 16th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
jfruniontown

shot the carb cleaner into the disconnected vacuum hose, and the engine
stumbles, the idle dropped, and the dwell meter fell to 22-25 degrees
which is i assume the control unit and frequency valve making a lean
correction for a rich mixture --- right or wrong?????
after thestumble and the burning of the carb cleaner, and the idle
stabelizing the dwell came back to 45 degrees and moved up and down 3-4
degrees from 45.

jfrinuniontown

Old September 17th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many Daves

sounds like things seem to be working. ;-)

ups.com...