Mazda Protege'

Old March 5th 05, 04:37 PM
Zane Warren

Default Mazda Protege'

I am looking at buying a 2002 Mazda Protege'. When this car was new the
sticker said it would get about 36 mpg. It is a 5 speed. Now if you look at
ratings it is only rated at 31. Can anyone tell me what kind of mileage I
will get. I drive mostly on the highway. Thanks.

Old March 5th 05, 05:16 PM
Generic

"Zane Warren" > wrote in message
> I am looking at buying a 2002 Mazda Protege'. When this car was new the
> sticker said it would get about 36 mpg. It is a 5 speed. Now if you look

at
> ratings it is only rated at 31. Can anyone tell me what kind of mileage I
> will get. I drive mostly on the highway. Thanks.

Probably closer to 31. The 2.0 liter engine is so-so on fuel economy. If you
drive hard expect it to be a little lower.

-John

Old March 5th 05, 11:25 PM
KWS

A two liter is a two liter. Don't buy the car for that reason. A good reason
for buying a Protégé is that they are relatively inexpensive, excellent
cars. Very reliable, very good on comfort and they handle reasonably well
for a sedan.

We have a 1997 that one of my daughters drives to college. Bought it a few
years ago for about $4K. Since then, it's needed some A/C work and I put in
a new water pump and timing belt. At 107K, it's doing quite well.

My oldest daughter graduated from school in 2003, we played "beat the
dealer" and she bought a new Protégé (last year of manufacture). It has been
absolutely trouble free; not even a loose this or that. Yet another
excellent example.

Ken

Old March 6th 05, 01:04 AM

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 15:37:31 GMT, "Zane Warren"
> wrote:

>I am looking at buying a 2002 Mazda Protege'. When this car was new the
>sticker said it would get about 36 mpg. It is a 5 speed. Now if you look at
>ratings it is only rated at 31. Can anyone tell me what kind of mileage I
>will get. I drive mostly on the highway. Thanks.

I have a 2001 Protege - automatic. I don't get over 28 - on a good
day.
Great little car, though.

Tom