Tyre profile

Old June 3rd 04, 11:46 AM
Steve Hill

Default Tyre profile

Hi
Me and my 146 live in France and for some reason the size of tyre we require
195 x 15 x 55 is double the cost of a similar tyre with a profile of 50 or
60.
Would anyone know any reasons why I shouldn't fit a different profile tyre.
Which axle it they would be best on (only require 2 tyres for now) and which
profile would be peferable.

many thanks Steve

Old June 3rd 04, 12:00 PM
SteveH

Steve Hill > wrote:

> Hi
> Me and my 146 live in France and for some reason the size of tyre we require
> 195 x 15 x 55 is double the cost of a similar tyre with a profile of 50 or
> 60.
> Would anyone know any reasons why I shouldn't fit a different profile tyre.
> Which axle it they would be best on (only require 2 tyres for now) and which
> profile would be peferable.

Personally I'd always step up a size in preference to down (probably no
technical reason, but it's what I did on my Cinquecento). I'd also put
them on the rear, as a car would look silly with taller tyres on the
front, IYSWIM.

VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old June 3rd 04, 12:42 PM
David C

"Steve Hill" > wrote in message
> Hi
> Me and my 146 live in France and for some reason the size of tyre we

require
> 195 x 15 x 55 is double the cost of a similar tyre with a profile of 50 or
> 60.
> Would anyone know any reasons why I shouldn't fit a different profile

tyre.
> Which axle it they would be best on (only require 2 tyres for now) and

which
> profile would be peferable.
>
> many thanks Steve

You need to be careful, any car with ABS will not like different diameter
tyres front & rear (unless the car is designed that way).
195/60R15 is 20mm bigger dia than 195/55R15
195/50R15 is 20mm smaller dia than 195/55R15
215/50R15 is the same dia as 195/55R15 but will probably cost as much or
more.

Very few cars used 195/55R15 and its lack of use is reflected in the price,
215/50R15 will I'm sure have the same problem.
195/50R15 is very widely used and was a perfect upgrade size for anything
fitted with 185/60R14 or 205/60R13.

Really you should stick with the 195/55R15.
--
David C
156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion

Old June 3rd 04, 02:23 PM
Patrice

Hi guys,

"David C" > a écrit dans le message de
news: ...
> "Steve Hill" > wrote in message
> > Hi
> > Me and my 146 live in France and for some reason the size of tyre we

> require
> > 195 x 15 x 55 is double the cost of a similar tyre with a profile of 50

or
> > 60.
> > Would anyone know any reasons why I shouldn't fit a different profile

> tyre.
> > Which axle it they would be best on (only require 2 tyres for now) and

> which
> > profile would be peferable.
> >
> > many thanks Steve

> You need to be careful, any car with ABS will not like different diameter
> tyres front & rear (unless the car is designed that way).
> 195/60R15 is 20mm bigger dia than 195/55R15
> 195/50R15 is 20mm smaller dia than 195/55R15
> 215/50R15 is the same dia as 195/55R15 but will probably cost as much or
> more.
>
> Very few cars used 195/55R15 and its lack of use is reflected in the

price,
> 215/50R15 will I'm sure have the same problem.
> 195/50R15 is very widely used and was a perfect upgrade size for anything
> fitted with 185/60R14 or 205/60R13.
>
> Really you should stick with the 195/55R15.
> --
> David C
> 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion

I don't think so. Go for the 195*50*15 ! That's not a problem for ABS (and
do you have this on your 146 ?). The car will only be a little "harder".
Moi j'hesiterais même pas, d'ailleurs j'ai mis ça sur 2 de mes trois
voitures (la 155 et le GTV6)...

--
Patrice

Alfa Romeo 116 Gtv6 (1983)
Alfa Romeo 116 GTV 2.0 (1980)
Alfa Romeo 155 1.7 TS (1996)

What ? Oh sorry darling, I forgot your car :
Fiat Brava 1.4 SX (1996) ((
Aéromodelisme+Alfa Romeo+Scalex :
***http://www.chez.com/bugpat***

Old June 4th 04, 07:12 AM
DesmaisonLCM

Dans l'article >, "Patrice"
>a écrit :

>I don't think so. Go for the 195*50*15 ! That's not a problem for ABS (and
>do you have this on your 146 ?). The car will only be a little "harder".
>Moi j'hesiterais même pas, d'ailleurs j'ai mis ça sur 2 de mes trois
>voitures (la 155 et le GTV6)...

how can you pass the MOT if tyres on the cars are not the préconised ones ?
In france, they check this point, if you put tyres with a size not authorised
the car is refused. I suggest to look at you technical book for 146 and choose
between authorised sizes listed at the end .

In french, comment passer le controle tehnique avec des pneus dont la taille
n'est pas homologuée par Alfa pour le modèle en question.
Je sais que le 195/50/15 est un des moins cher mais on ne paut pas mettre
n'importe qu'elle taille sur une voiture, c'est un point qui est vérifié au CT
, de même que l'indice de vitesse.
Le mieux est de regarder sur le livret technique de la 146 et de choisir parmis
les différentes tailles possibles autorisées.
Bruno.

Tyre Advice, Please. Ross Alfa Romeo 11 June 4th 04 04:17 PM
Alfa 164 Tyre Pressures - Info needed Tom Boltwood Alfa Romeo 5 April 30th 04 11:06 PM
Tyre problems ... Frank Lenaerts Alfa Romeo 2 April 26th 04 06:16 PM