Pinion angle... what's the secret?

Old March 8th 05, 06:22 AM
Nathan Otis

Default Pinion angle... what's the secret?

I thought I had my pinion angle adjusted pretty well Sunday when I attached
the driveshaft, but I have a vibration that starts at about 40mph, dies off
at around 50 and picks up again at about 60.

My helper and I held a carpenters square (the big L shaped one) on the diff
and lined it up that way, pointing directly at the output of the
transfercase... Can anyone give tips that will get me dead on?
n.

Old March 8th 05, 06:47 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Is there plenty of room for the slip joint to travel, and you do
have the constant velocity joint, right?
http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.html And
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 8th 05, 06:52 AM

bad!
the output shaft of the transfer case and the output from the rear
differential should be parallel within 5 degrees or you will get a
vibration.
this is not true if you have a double u joint(cv joint)
then what you have done applies.
old john

Old March 8th 05, 07:00 AM
Jerry Bransford

IT depends on the kind of driveshaft you're running, a CV
(double-cardin) or a conventional driveshaft. The pinion should point
directly at the output of the t-case only if the driveshaft is a CV. If
it's a conventional driveshaft, the pinion angle must be parallel to the
output shaft.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old March 8th 05, 07:07 AM
Nathan Otis

Plenty of room for travel. CV joint, correct.
n.

Old March 8th 05, 07:08 AM
Nathan Otis

I do have the CV.
n.

Old March 8th 05, 07:15 AM
Nathan Otis

Sorry guys, I guess I figured folks had been following my posts closer than
this... I've been posting questions about this modification for two weeks
now...

Here's the specs:

2003 TJ (Rubi, if it matters)
3+" Suspension lift, 1.25" Body lift, transfer case skid probably lifts
things another 1.5 - 2 inches. Adjustable rear upper control arms are
pointing the pinion pretty much directly at the output of the T-case, and I
do have a CV shaft on this Jeep.

The shop that made the shaft claims all their shafts are precision balanced,
but I see no weights on the outside of the shaft. Another Jeeper running the
same shaft also has no weights, but has no vibrations. If anyone can help me
iron out these vibes, I'd appreciate it.
n.

Old March 8th 05, 08:12 AM
Cherokee-Ltd

"Nathan Otis" > wrote in message
> Sorry guys, I guess I figured folks had been following my posts closer
> than this... I've been posting questions about this modification for two
> weeks now...

Remove your front driveshaft and go for a ride. If the vibes disappear, you
have to look at your front pinion angle/castor. Do you have adjustable front
control arms on this monster? I'd be willing to bet the vibes are in the
front if you have done everything right in the rear.

-Brian

Old March 8th 05, 10:43 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well then, it sounds like your transfer's about to explode:
http://www.billhughes.com/BrokenCase01.jpg ;-)
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old March 8th 05, 04:01 PM
Greg

When we put a ford 9" in daughter's jeep and a double cardon shaft we were
told from drive shaft place that pinion should be pointing 2 degrees below
transfer, it's been in for a year, no vibration.

Rack and Pinion failure Tom B Chrysler 8 January 29th 05 05:52 PM
Does the Chrysler Corporation Car Production Broadcast paper show pinion bearing preload and pinion nut torque? JP Dodge 6 September 21st 04 02:16 AM