88 Lebaron GTS 2.2L Turbo hissing noise

Old October 25th 04, 05:38 AM
Ken

Default 88 Lebaron GTS 2.2L Turbo hissing noise

Hi gang, My 88 LeBaron GTS 2.2L makes a loud hissing noise (like a steam
engine) when accelerating. I know air pressure from the turbo caused the
noise. but how do I know which hose? the airbox to turbo hose or turbo to TB
hose? Also, is the turbo by pass value suppose to be inside the airbox?

Thanks
Kenny

Old October 25th 04, 06:10 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:38:16 -0400, Ken wrote:

> Hi gang, My 88 LeBaron GTS 2.2L makes a loud hissing noise (like a steam
> engine) when accelerating. I know air pressure from the turbo caused the
> noise. but how do I know which hose? the airbox to turbo hose or turbo to TB
> hose? Also, is the turbo by pass value suppose to be inside the airbox?
>
> Thanks
> Kenny

How could you possibly still have a GTS Turbo? My 86 LeBaron GTS Turbo
died 10 years ago, the turbo siezed at 112,000 miles. Midway in it's life
I asked the mechanic who replaced the head gasket at 50,000 miles what the
life expectancy of the turbo was an he told me 75,000 so I felt pretty
good that I got 112,000. You must have 250,000 miles on that thing, how
many times have you replaced the turbocharger?

Old October 25th 04, 06:10 AM
General Schvantzkoph

Old October 25th 04, 05:58 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> > Hi gang, My 88 LeBaron GTS 2.2L makes a loud hissing noise

> How could you possibly still have a GTS Turbo?

Stupid question.
Old October 25th 04, 05:58 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old October 26th 04, 01:16 AM
Kenny

"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
news
> How could you possibly still have a GTS Turbo? My 86 LeBaron GTS Turbo
> died 10 years ago, the turbo siezed at 112,000 miles. Midway in it's life
> I asked the mechanic who replaced the head gasket at 50,000 miles what the
> life expectancy of the turbo was an he told me 75,000 so I felt pretty
> good that I got 112,000. You must have 250,000 miles on that thing, how
> many times have you replaced the turbocharger?

Hi, I have over 250K miles on my LeBaron (aka The Beater). It's my wife's
car and she bought it in 1989 with 6000 miles on it. Still have the original
turbo, original 3 speed Transmission, original Exhaust, doesn't leak any
fluid at all.......However, I do need a new head gasket put in. That car was
the most dependable car I have ever owned. Abnd it's great in snow.

I also have a 1998 Camry (120K miles) that car has more problems than the
LeBaron... believe it or not.

Kenny

Old October 26th 04, 01:16 AM
Kenny