weird engine problems

Old August 26th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Default weird engine problems

Okay so I bought this 1990 LX 2.3L mustang 2 days ago and it has a loud
clacking sound, the owner said it was the lifters, and sounded like it
to me. So i picked up the car, and today swapped the lifters. To my
disapointment the noise was still exactly the same! The sound is
comming from the rear off the motor, and it about half the engine RPM.
It is pretty loud metal on metal banging sound. It is high pitched,
which sounds like its not the bottom end, and it even sounds to be
comming from just under the valve cover. When I let off the throttle
cruiseing the noise quiets down a bit.

While I was in their I also replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

So please if anybody has any idea please let me know! I am really
stumped and down wanna dump any more money into it for nothing. I also
cleaned the engine out with intake cleaner, so I don't think it could
be carbon.

Thanks, Cory

Old August 27th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jon[_3_]

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Okay so I bought this 1990 LX 2.3L mustang 2 days ago and it has a loud
> clacking sound, the owner said it was the lifters, and sounded like it
> to me. So i picked up the car, and today swapped the lifters. To my
> disapointment the noise was still exactly the same! The sound is
> comming from the rear off the motor, and it about half the engine RPM.
> It is pretty loud metal on metal banging sound. It is high pitched,
> which sounds like its not the bottom end, and it even sounds to be
> comming from just under the valve cover. When I let off the throttle
> cruiseing the noise quiets down a bit.
>
> While I was in their I also replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor.
>
> So please if anybody has any idea please let me know! I am really
> stumped and down wanna dump any more money into it for nothing. I also
> cleaned the engine out with intake cleaner, so I don't think it could
> be carbon.
>

> Thanks, Cory

This probably doesn't help but
If manual transmission, it could be the clutch thrust bearing, they ware out
about 80,000 miles or so.
noise goes away when clutch is out (no power to wheels)
It is high pitch sound had to replace two, 87 and a 93 both 5.0's

Old August 27th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Thanks, but no it is definetly engine related. I'm sure it has nothing
to with clutch or tranny.

Old August 28th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam

You might have a boarder line bearing issue with the cam. You could dump a
quart of Slick 50 or Duralube in it to see if it goes away. I've seen that
work on a freind's car, then again on a car I had. The noise never came back
in either case!!! (REALLY!) Give it a try, it can't hurt.
By the way, what did you pay for the car?
Dave

ps.com...

Old August 28th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

I threw in some oil detergent, it didn't seem to help. I did a
compression test. All cylinders were just over 180PSI. On #3 the guage
needle wouldn't jump every couple strokes. It was missing the
compression. I guess a valve wasn't sealing properly or something.
Weird, I took the valve cover off again, and took both springs from
that cylinder out, and they both seemed fine. I guess the head has to
come off to check next.

I also ran the engine and took spark off each cylinder one at time, and
the noise did not change whatsoever on any cylinder. It's definetly
top-end.

One other curious thing is that the noise almost seems to float (in
pitch and volume) just above idle.

Any other help would be apreciated, thanks.

Old August 28th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
walt peifer

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>I threw in some oil detergent, it didn't seem to help. I did a
> compression test. All cylinders were just over 180PSI. On #3 the guage
> needle wouldn't jump every couple strokes. It was missing the
> compression. I guess a valve wasn't sealing properly or something.
> Weird, I took the valve cover off again, and took both springs from
> that cylinder out, and they both seemed fine. I guess the head has to
> come off to check next.
>
> I also ran the engine and took spark off each cylinder one at time, and
> the noise did not change whatsoever on any cylinder. It's definetly
> top-end.
>
> One other curious thing is that the noise almost seems to float (in
> pitch and volume) just above idle.
>
> Any other help would be apreciated, thanks.

Check the EGR valve plate for blown gasket. Also look for crack in the
exhaust manifold. small crack or leaks in exhaust can sometimes mimic the
clacking of bad valves or bearings. I know you think its a metal on metal
sound but trust me> I've had several cars in that had similar noises and
similar fixes from other "professionals".

Old August 30th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

For the price of a rebuilt head I'm getting a whole different engine
out of an auto car, wondering what has to be changed if its going onto
my 5 speed? Is their a different pilot shaft on the crank between the
auto and 5 speed?

Old September 1st 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark C.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> For the price of a rebuilt head I'm getting a whole different engine
> out of an auto car, wondering what has to be changed if its going onto
> my 5 speed? Is their a different pilot shaft on the crank between the
> auto and 5 speed?

There is no pilot shaft on an automatic. You'd have to install a pilot
bearing for your 5 speed. On the noise issue, are you positive it clicks at
half the engine rpm? if not it could be the flywheel balance weight
contacting the starter plate. This sound is hard to pinpoint as it resonates
throughout the whole engine. Also make sure there's no gap between the
rockers and the valve tips there should be a preload on the hydraulic
lifters. Hope this helps.

Mark