Help needed with Flasher Module Replacement and Center Console

Old May 7th 06, 09:10 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Help needed with Flasher Module Replacement and Center Console

I'm having problems with my turn signals/flashers on a 2002 A6 3.0. I
spoke to the dealer service manager who told me that it was probably
the flasher module. I purchased a new flasher module at a parts store
and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I don't generally
do a lot of automoitive work, but this one *seemed* to be iwthin my
capabilities. Google searches have led me to believe that this is in
the center console. So now, I'm stuck. The flasher appears to be
behind the flasher button on the top of the center console, and I've
figure out that the top wood panel pops off. Under that are the unit
on the left for the ESP switch, with two empty switch covers on either
side, the flasher switch in the middle, and the cup holder on the
right. At either end are two screws. Can anyone tell me if I'm headed
in the right direction and/or if I need to remove these to get to
where I want to be? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old May 9th 06, 08:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

I have the same (intermittent) problem on my A6, though haven't yet got
round to buying a replacement module.

There's a very helpful article, with photographs, at
http://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/91515.phtml.

Hope it helps,

Peter

Old May 12th 06, 07:16 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Thanks, Peter. That helped a lot. The module I had picked up at the
local car parts store was not right (bringing it back tomorrow). I
called Audi and it was $25.20 for the correct module which is the
whole unit including the flasher switch on the front. The article you
pointed to suggested it could be cleaned, but I was unsuccessfult
figuring out how to do that or how to get it back together and Audi
had it in stock, so I just did that (with the older flasher plugged in
for temporary use; if I tapped it when the flashers stopped, it worked
again for 5 or 6 flashes). Also, once I pulled it apart, I didn't
appear that it was going to be all that cooperative going back
together. The directiions to take it out were right on the money,
except that I couldn't grab it with needlenose pliers. I simply pried
it out with a screwdriver a little at a time from both sides and it
pulled straight out once it was out about 1/2 inch. From starting to
pull it out to putting the replacement in took about 2 minutes total.
I haven't quite got the wood trip back perfectly (I did it in the dark
so I'll look at it more closely later).

Thanks again! I now have fully functional signals and feel a whole lot
safer.

Bill