Tire question: buy pricier or more often?

Old June 21st 05, 09:17 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article om>,
says...

>C.H. wrote:
>>
>> Btw, cheaper tires don't necessarily wear faster, but they usually grip
>> much worse, and please don't insult our intelligence by claiming that you
>> don't need good grip.
>>

>I drive slow. Even with bald tires, i'd be less a risk than you
>speeders who spend $200 a wheel.

On bald tires you are breaking the law and risking an accident if it rains
or snows. That's about par for you, doing stupid things.
-------------
Alex

Old June 24th 05, 01:42 PM
Coyoteboy

I recently bought some lower end tyres (120$ a corner, 215/40/17
Federal SS595s) for my car, on the basis that i needed some but wasnt
willing to shell out the 250$ a corner on the ones that were on
originally (215/40/17 cont rainsport 1's). I've found the 595s grip far
better than the rainsports, when they let go they are more
predicatable. Less road noise, less sidewall flex on hard cornering,
progressive let-go when you push it past the limit. And so far wearing
better than the rainsports. Not quite as good in the wet as rainsports
as they tend to get pulled about more by puddles, but otherwise awesome
tyres for budget prices.

Old June 25th 05, 03:39 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 6/23/2005 4:07 AM, Sleeker GT Phwoar wrote:

> In article et>,
> says...
>
>>The originating troll is
>>the idiot who says you can get a (decent) set of tires for $150.00.
>>

> Thats per tyre right?

Nope, for a set of four:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...a4f8c18267dae6

And if you think *that's* scary, take a look at this:

"drive them until the holes get too big for that tire-in-a-can stuff to
work.
"Then do what I do and go to pep boys and get a set of used retreads for
$50 and repeat."

(From
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.autos.driving/msg/dbe7ec33863c0fc4>)

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.

Tire question: buy pricier or more often? RPS Driving 42 June 25th 05 03:39 AM
Calculating Tire Pressure question? Tom Nakashima VW air cooled 3 May 4th 05 02:28 PM
Tire bubble question Nick Honda 2 May 4th 05 02:11 AM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 04:42 AM
Attn Tire experts. Tire valve stem question Jim Smith Saturn 1 June 17th 04 07:03 AM