Mobil One Synthetic alternative?

Old May 20th 05, 07:57 PM
Joel Jacobs

The first time I ever saw Mobil One synthetic was when a US Air Force flight
line mechanic was topping off the oil in a DC-9 at an airbase in Japan -
that was in 1972. I figured if it was good enough to handle the demands and
heat of a Pratt & Whitney JT8D-9 turbofan it was good enough for use in
all four of my C4s. I suspect the same is true of dealing with the
"problems" of C5s and C6s....

Since my current C4 has 124,000 trouble free miles on it - and my last one
had 86K of the same - in Texas summers - I suspect Mobil One is just fine.

Joel Jacobs

'89
'91
'95
'94

Old May 20th 05, 11:51 PM
Vandervecken

My '85 Mustang GT 5.0 HO ran 218,000 miles on synthetics and the day it
was totalled the engine was still tight, strong, smooth, and sweet with
compression 143 and oil pressure 42 PSI at cruise. My '67 Bug has
208,000 miles on the original engine and it runs like clockwork. Lord
only knows how long a modern engine like the LS-2 will run on that
stuff. I think any of the synthetics are so good that there's probably
relatively little difference between them.

-- Vandervecken

Old May 21st 05, 12:10 AM
RicSeyler

I have Royal Purple in my tranny. '94 6sp Ragtop

Steve Rader wrote:

>Excellent quality synthetic lubricants (probably better than Mobil 1) can be
>purchased from Royal Purple or Redline.
>Steve
>'04 Z16 Commemorative
>
>P.S - Just because a manufacturer "recommends" a certain product doesn't
>mean its the best. All it usually means is that the financial incentive is
>stronger.

roups.com...

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old May 21st 05, 04:34 AM
Bababooey

Can the dealer void your warranty if something goes wrong and you did
not use the Mobil 1 they specify?

With all the talk I hear about dealers voiding warranties on cars for
mods and stuff, this just seems like it would be another thing for
them to jump on you about

Old May 21st 05, 01:51 PM
Vandervecken

Your warranty is valid as long as the car is serviced according to
Chevrolet's recommendations using products that meet their
specifications. Of course that's not to say a flaky dealer won't act
flaky anyhow. The salient point is that it's a manufacturer's warranty,
not the dealer's warranty. The dealer just executes warranty repairs on
behalf of, and under reimbursement by, the manufacturer. In this case he
is in effect an agent under contract to the manufacturer to service the
manufacturer's contractual obligation to you. Thus the dealer cannot
void the warranty since he is not the warrantor. (Although he may refuse
to honor it at the risk of arousing GM's ire.)

-- Vandervecken

Old May 21st 05, 02:09 PM
Bob I

Question is moot, as GM DOESN'T specify Mobile 1.

Old May 22nd 05, 12:05 AM
Dale

On or about Thu, 19 May 2005 12:18:32 -0500, RicSeyler
> wrote or did cause to be written:

>Here, here........ Bushies tried to get drilling off of my back yard in
>the Gulf. Pristine Sugar white sand beaches and beautiful emerald green water.

Hey, Ric. Drive about 40 miles west to my neighborhood and you can see
lots of offshore wells. Same sugar white sand. Same emerald green sea.
In fact, our sand seems a lot cleaner than your's since Ivan.

>But thankfully failed...... Anyone that has been on a Texas beach and seen
>or stepped into the tar balls, the trash that washes up and the film on
>the surf break knows there is no way to control all the remnants that come from it....

Again, you don't have to go to Texas, you can just drive a few miles
west of where you live and see that your comments are, shall we say, a
slight exaggeration? I remember 40 years ago we had lots of tar balls
on the beach here. They came from ships pumping out their bilges
before docking. If anything, offshore drilling reduces the pressure
which reduces the natural seepage. The beaches today are immaculate
compared to what they were 40 years ago before the offshore platforms
came. Where do you go to fish offshore? If the platforms were
releasing all that much trash, why would the fish love them so much?

>Especially when you deal with giant global corporations and politicians with direct
>financial ties to the industry......

What financial ties? That would be illegal. A president could get
impeached if it was found they had any financial tie to a corporation
and that they somehow helped that corporation. No wait. Clinton was
convicted while in office of a felony and that wasn't considered a
"crime or misdemeanor". Never mind.

So remind me once again; this is the USENET group titled
alt..autos.corvette.shrub-bashers?
Old May 24th 05, 09:01 PM
lab~rat

On Sat, 21 May 2005 08:09:32 -0500, Bob I > puked:

>Question is moot, as GM DOESN'T specify Mobile 1.

It does on my LS1 in my SS. There's a sticker right under the hood
saying so.
--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Old May 24th 05, 10:54 PM
Scubabix

Also a sticker under the hood of my 96 coupe.

Rob

Old May 24th 05, 11:01 PM
RicSeyler

Nice little Mobile1 plaque under the hood of my '94 ragtop.

Scubabix wrote:

>Also a sticker under the hood of my 96 coupe.
>
>Rob

.. .