Ball joints-S10...

Old March 29th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Ball joints-S10...

I took my S10 to a mechanic today to check the alignment and possibly
replace the idler arm. The mechanic said my ball joints need to be
replaced. I had them replaced not too long ago. I was amazed at the
amount of play in the wheel when he rocked it back and forth. They
were going to charge me $550 to replace the ball joints. I told him
I'd have to think about it. So I took my truck home and checked out
the ball joints myself. It appears that bolts that hold the lower ball
joint to the control arm are loose. And this is what is causing the
play in my wheel. However, the mechanic failed to notice this...or
perhaps they were loosened on purpose. At any rate, what would cause
the bolts to work loose besides someone loosening them? Anybody got
any recommendations on what I should tell the mechanic?

Old March 29th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...
At any rate, what would cause
> the bolts to work loose besides someone loosening them? Anybody got
> any recommendations on what I should tell the mechanic?

Every ball joint I ever replaced had a cotter pin to hold the nut in place.

The replacement joint itself is normally held in place by three bolts, which
replace the original rivets.

$550 for ball joints sounds high...REALLY high.

I don't know who is humping you, but I would suspect that someone is, or
has.

Old March 29th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

One of the top causes of a failure is the previous repair. You had your
ball joints replaced and they are loose. My first thought is the
installer did not tighten them properly. If you can tighten them and
remove the play, perhaps you will want to go elsewhere for the
alignment.

Old March 29th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Al Bundy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> One of the top causes of a failure is the previous repair. You had your
> ball joints replaced and they are loose. My first thought is the
> installer did not tighten them properly. If you can tighten them and
> remove the play, perhaps you will want to go elsewhere for the
> alignment.

If I understand what he is saying, it is not the main nut on the ball joint,
but rather the three bolts that replace the rivets which are loose.

I have used this type of ball joint a lot, but never had them loosen.

Maybe the guy who replaced them originally drilled them out too big
in the first place. That can happen with a goober at the helm. Or
maybe he just didn't tighten them. (And, maybe the new mechanics DID
loosen them. Anybody who would quote $500 for this job is nigh onto
a thief, IMO.)

In either case that situation could be repaired by fitting proper bolts and
retightening. If it is an overdrilling situation, just drill to the most
appropriate
size and install new bolts.

I use Loctite on the nuts in this type of installation, but I guess a self
locking nut would work as well. I have seen some bolts that come with the
ball joints that are not very strong. This is another reason to replace
them
with good quality strong bolts.

Old March 29th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

If you tighten the bolts, does the play go away? Those bolts should
have either lock washers or lock bolts to prevent this. As for the
price, that sounds about right as long as they were using good parts,
not the plain white box stuff.

Old March 30th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> If you tighten the bolts, does the play go away? Those bolts should
> have either lock washers or lock bolts to prevent this. As for the
> price, that sounds about right as long as they were using good parts,
> not the plain white box stuff.

If you tighten the bolts, the play NORMALLY goes away. Depends on
why the play is there in the first place.

I strongly dissent that $500 plus is 'about right' to replace two ball
joints.

Without a hydraulic lift, I can do the job in no more than 1.5 hours. At
MOST
$150 in labor. I believe you are talking about $20-30 each for the ball
joints.
(I haven't checked since I dont have the exact model.)

So, $250 would make me very happy. We havent included alignment, which
may not be necessary anyway, but is certainly always a good idea. Alignment
here
costs $60.

$310 does not equal $500-550.

Old March 30th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I took my S10 to a mechanic today to check the alignment and possibly
> replace the idler arm. The mechanic said my ball joints need to be
> replaced. I had them replaced not too long ago. I was amazed at the
> amount of play in the wheel when he rocked it back and forth. They
> were going to charge me $550 to replace the ball joints. I told him
> I'd have to think about it. So I took my truck home and checked out
> the ball joints myself. It appears that bolts that hold the lower ball
> joint to the control arm are loose. And this is what is causing the
> play in my wheel. However, the mechanic failed to notice this...or
> perhaps they were loosened on purpose. At any rate, what would cause
> the bolts to work loose besides someone loosening them? Anybody got
> any recommendations on what I should tell the mechanic?

If they were that loose you should have noticed shimmy or some other
problem at highway speeds I think. If I were you I would check with
the Better Business Bureau to see if this mechanic has any complaints
filed against him.

Ted

Old March 30th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

First of all, we don't know what year this thing is or if it is two or
four wheel drive. If its 2 wheel drive, I will give you an hour and a
half. If its 4 wheel drive, no way in an hour and a half for both.
Second, ball joint prices are going to be higher at a garage. You don't
expect to pay 20 or 30 dollars for joints at a garage do you? The shop
would not stay in business for long if they did. 4 wheel drive ball
joints are almost double the price as 2 wheel drive joints.

Old March 30th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> First of all, we don't know what year this thing is or if it is two or
> four wheel drive. If its 2 wheel drive, I will give you an hour and a
> half. If its 4 wheel drive, no way in an hour and a half for both.
> Second, ball joint prices are going to be higher at a garage. You don't
> expect to pay 20 or 30 dollars for joints at a garage do you? The shop
> would not stay in business for long if they did. 4 wheel drive ball
> joints are almost double the price as 2 wheel drive joints.

You're right. We don't know exactly what this thing is. I had assumed
a rather ordinary case.

Garages often get a better price than the rest of us, but, even so, it is
not unusual to mark up the part (cost * 3) or so.

I would not personally pay any garage $500 to replace two standard ball
joints, unless I were caught in a heck of a bind.

But not every individual can or will take on a job like this either.

Old March 30th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

understood. Standard 2wd ball joints 500 is too much.

Don't buy Dodge justme Dodge 10 July 13th 05 06:40 AM
Ball Joints 01 TJ Troy Jeep 10 May 17th 05 04:14 AM
tips or tricks to remove upper ball joints mjt Technology 15 April 4th 05 01:32 AM
Lower ball joints scapa Honda 1 December 30th 04 12:27 AM