How Much ! ?

Old July 5th 04, 10:12 PM
Graham

Default How Much ! ?

Asked the price of an oil change in my local Fiat garage today - 2.4 JTD.

Nearly fell over ----------- 89.23 gbp

Is there gold flakes in the oil, and the filter made of silver !!

Graham

(BTW - Ex Fiat garage last did mine on service for 33gbp for the oil and a
tenner for the filter.)

Old July 6th 04, 12:12 AM
David C

"Graham" > wrote in message
> Asked the price of an oil change in my local Fiat garage today - 2.4 JTD.
>
> Nearly fell over ----------- 89.23 gbp
>
> Is there gold flakes in the oil, and the filter made of silver !!
>
> Graham
>

> (BTW - Ex Fiat garage last did mine on service for 33gbp for the oil and

> tenner for the filter.)

With UK main dealer labour rates, that £89.23 is cheap.
--
David C
156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion

Old July 8th 04, 10:44 PM
NC

David C wrote:
> "Graham" > wrote in message
>
>>Asked the price of an oil change in my local Fiat garage today - 2.4 JTD.
>>
>>Nearly fell over ----------- 89.23 gbp
>>
>>Is there gold flakes in the oil, and the filter made of silver !!
>>
>>Graham
>>

>>(BTW - Ex Fiat garage last did mine on service for 33gbp for the oil and

>>tenner for the filter.)

> With UK main dealer labour rates, that £89.23 is cheap.

Yep, I've been told GBP65 an hour labour at my local Desira (ipswich).
So with parts (oil, new filter) on top, 89 sounds OK !
Old July 9th 04, 10:05 AM
Colonel Tupperware

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 21:44:44 GMT, NC > wrote:

>David C wrote:
>> "Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Asked the price of an oil change in my local Fiat garage today - 2.4 JTD.
>>>
>>>Nearly fell over ----------- 89.23 gbp
>>>
>>>Is there gold flakes in the oil, and the filter made of silver !!
>>>
>>>Graham
>>>

>>>(BTW - Ex Fiat garage last did mine on service for 33gbp for the oil and

>>>tenner for the filter.)

>> With UK main dealer labour rates, that £89.23 is cheap.

>Yep, I've been told GBP65 an hour labour at my local Desira (ipswich).
>So with parts (oil, new filter) on top, 89 sounds OK !

Except that an oil and filter change takes 5 mins.
I charge half an hour as a minimum. But my rates are reasonable to
start with.

--
ColonelTupperware
spouting ******** on Usenet since 1997
Old July 9th 04, 03:03 PM
David C

"Colonel Tupperware" > wrote in message

> Except that an oil and filter change takes 5 mins.

So in 5-minutes you can:
get the car into the workshop
up on the ramp
remove the undertray
drain the oil
remove the filter
allow oil to finish draining
fit new filter
refit drainplug (new sealing washer)
fill with new oil
start & check for leaks
refit undertray
lower ramp & drive car out of workshop.
recheck oil level again after car has stood for 5-minutes (minimum)

I'd like to watch you do all that in 5-minutes...

Old July 9th 04, 10:44 PM

"David C" > wrote in message >...
> "Colonel Tupperware" > wrote in message
>
> > Except that an oil and filter change takes 5 mins.

> So in 5-minutes you can:
> get the car into the workshop
> up on the ramp
> remove the undertray
> drain the oil
> remove the filter
> allow oil to finish draining
> fit new filter
> refit drainplug (new sealing washer)
> fill with new oil
> start & check for leaks
> refit undertray
> lower ramp & drive car out of workshop.
> recheck oil level again after car has stood for 5-minutes (minimum)
>
> I'd like to watch you do all that in 5-minutes...

It may take longer, but it's a LOT cheaper than £89. And you don't
have to be a mechanic to change oil. At the end of the day garages
love people who are frightened to try it themselves. Follow the
instructions above and see how easy it is. John, UK.
Old July 10th 04, 09:32 AM
David C

> wrote in message
om...
> "David C" > wrote in message

> > "Colonel Tupperware" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Except that an oil and filter change takes 5 mins.

> > So in 5-minutes you can:
> > get the car into the workshop
> > up on the ramp
> > remove the undertray
> > drain the oil
> > remove the filter
> > allow oil to finish draining
> > fit new filter
> > refit drainplug (new sealing washer)
> > fill with new oil
> > start & check for leaks
> > refit undertray
> > lower ramp & drive car out of workshop.
> > recheck oil level again after car has stood for 5-minutes (minimum)
> >
> > I'd like to watch you do all that in 5-minutes...

> It may take longer, but it's a LOT cheaper than £89. And you don't
> have to be a mechanic to change oil. At the end of the day garages
> love people who are frightened to try it themselves. Follow the
> instructions above and see how easy it is. John, UK.

Using top spec full synthetic 10w60 oil you should be able to do it yourself
for about £40 (depending on quantity of oil required for your engine).
Remember to dispose of the old oil in the correct way.
Most towns have recycling tanks now (you just need to find them!).

Old July 10th 04, 09:39 AM
Colonel Tupperware

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:03:22 +0000 (UTC), "David C"
> wrote:

>"Colonel Tupperware" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Except that an oil and filter change takes 5 mins.

>So in 5-minutes you can:
>get the car into the workshop
>up on the ramp
>remove the undertray
>drain the oil
>remove the filter
>allow oil to finish draining
>fit new filter
>refit drainplug (new sealing washer)
>fill with new oil
>start & check for leaks
>refit undertray
>lower ramp & drive car out of workshop.
>recheck oil level again after car has stood for 5-minutes (minimum)
>
>I'd like to watch you do all that in 5-minutes...

You're welcome, but I will charge you half a hour for the privilege of
watching.

Maybe 5 mins is stretching it, but no more than 10.

And before you ask, yes I have earnt a (meagre) living as a mechanic
in a main dealership. Not on Alfas but an equally obtuse brand,
although probably easier to work on.

Which ever way you look at it, main dealer prices are a rip off.

Old July 10th 04, 09:47 AM
Catman

David C wrote:

> "Colonel Tupperware" > wrote in message
>
>> Except that an oil and filter change takes 5 mins.

> So in 5-minutes you can:
> get the car into the workshop
> up on the ramp
> remove the undertray
> drain the oil
> remove the filter
> allow oil to finish draining
> fit new filter
> refit drainplug (new sealing washer)
> fill with new oil
> start & check for leaks
> refit undertray
> lower ramp & drive car out of workshop.
> recheck oil level again after car has stood for 5-minutes (minimum)
>
> I'd like to watch you do all that in 5-minutes...

That's about 5 minutes *actual* work. I would be ticked if I was charged
for draining time as it were.

OTOH I've never paid anyone to change my filters.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk