87 5th Avenue Emission Problems

Old May 28th 05, 04:59 AM
Mr. Minnow

Default 87 5th Avenue Emission Problems

I took my car(87 5th Ave with a 318(5.2L) v8) in for an emission test and it
failed miserably

Here are the results:

ASM2525 Test
Curb Idle Test

Limit Reading Result
Limit Reading Result
HC ppm 83 197 FAIL 300
504 FAIL
CO% 0.46 0.16 PASS 1.50
6.76 FAIL
NO ppm 893 1220 FAIL N/A
N/A N/A
RPM 1092 VALID RPM
854 VALID
Dilution 13.8 VALID
Dilution 17.2 VALID

What are the possible causes and cures? TIA

P.S. It passed the Gas Cap Pressure Test and Fuel Filler Integrity Check

Old May 28th 05, 05:29 AM
Mr. Minnow

Sorry about that here's a better version of the report

ASM2525 TEST

LIMIT READING RESULT
HC ppm 83 197 FAIL
CO% 0.46 0.16 PASS
NO ppm 893 1220 FAIL
RPM 1092 VALID
DILUTION 13.8 VALID

CURB IDLE TEST

LIMIT READING RESULT
HC ppm 300 504 FAIL
CO% 1.50 6.76 FAIL
NO ppm N/A N/A N/A
RPM 854 VALID
DILUTION 17.2 VALID

Old May 28th 05, 05:48 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Mr. Minnow wrote:

> I took my car(87 5th Ave with a 318(5.2L) v8) in for an emission test and it
> failed miserably
>
> Here are the results:

It's *very* hard to read your results -- the tabulation didn't come out as
you tried to make it do -- but it looks to me as if your results a

HC: 197ppm (limit 83ppm, FAIL)
CO: 0.16% (limit 0.46%, PASS)
NOx: 1220ppm (limit 893ppm, FAIL)

Your CO is about 1/3 of the allowable limit, and is an excellent reading
for a carbureted car -- but your HCs are more than double the allowed
limit, and your NOx is 1/3 higher than allowed. This combination of
results suggests your engine is running so lean that it is misfiring.
Those cylinders that do fire produce a great deal of NOx due to the lean
mixture, while those that do not fire produce a great deal of HC due to
noncombustion.

(These '85-'89 civilian M-body cars with the Holley 2bbl don't generally
run very well in stock form, even when everything is set by the book. Lean
surge under steady throttle is the rule, rather than the exception. Not
that this helps you -- just saying.)

So, what's causing your misfiring? Could be any number of things. A faulty
Oxygen sensor in the driver side exhaust manifold (how long since you
replaced it?). A faulty carburetor, a faulty Lean Burn computer, a plugged
fuel filter...it might not even be a lean misfire at all; your readings
could also be caused by the reduction portion of the exhaust catalyst
system having reached the end of its life, resulting in very high NOx
tailpipe readings and insufficient free Oxygen in the exhaust stream to
allow the oxidation section of the catalyst to clean up the HC.

Time for some systematic diagnosis by someone who has considerable
experience with the carbureted Mopars of the mid '70s through late '80s.
Just throwing parts at it will get very expensive long before the problem
is solved.

DS
Old May 28th 05, 02:32 PM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
"Mr. Minnow" > wrote:

> Sorry about that here's a better version of the report
>
> ASM2525 TEST
>
> LIMIT READING RESULT
> HC ppm 83 197 FAIL
> CO% 0.46 0.16 PASS
> NO ppm 893 1220 FAIL
> RPM 1092 VALID
> DILUTION 13.8 VALID

Running lean with a possible inoperative EGR and non functioning
catalytic convertor.

> CURB IDLE TEST
>
> LIMIT READING RESULT
> HC ppm 300 504 FAIL
> CO% 1.50 6.76 FAIL
> NO ppm N/A N/A N/A
> RPM 854 VALID
> DILUTION 17.2 VALID

Way too rich.
Old May 28th 05, 02:47 PM
Comboverfish

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2005, Mr. Minnow wrote:
>
> > I took my car(87 5th Ave with a 318(5.2L) v8) in for an emission test and it
> > failed miserably
> >
> > Here are the results:

> It's *very* hard to read your results -- the tabulation didn't come out as
> you tried to make it do -- but it looks to me as if your results a
>
> HC: 197ppm (limit 83ppm, FAIL)
> CO: 0.16% (limit 0.46%, PASS)
> NOx: 1220ppm (limit 893ppm, FAIL)

Dan, I haven't seen the whole original post; are these readings at
idle? The limits seem rather strict for a 1987 vehicle. What state is
this guy in?

> Your CO is about 1/3 of the allowable limit, and is an excellent reading
> for a carbureted car -- but your HCs are more than double the allowed
> limit, and your NOx is 1/3 higher than allowed. This combination of
> results suggests your engine is running so lean that it is misfiring.
> Those cylinders that do fire produce a great deal of NOx due to the lean
> mixture, while those that do not fire produce a great deal of HC due to
> noncombustion.

I would say that a lean burn 318 that met these failure limits is a
decent running engine. That doesn't help the car owner, but it sounds
like his state is trying to get rid of carbureted cars in one swoop...

> So, what's causing your misfiring? Could be any number of things. A faulty
> Oxygen sensor in the driver side exhaust manifold (how long since you
> replaced it?). A faulty carburetor, a faulty Lean Burn computer, a plugged
> fuel filter...it might not even be a lean misfire at all; your readings
> could also be caused by the reduction portion of the exhaust catalyst
> system having reached the end of its life, resulting in very high NOx
> tailpipe readings and insufficient free Oxygen in the exhaust stream to
> allow the oxidation section of the catalyst to clean up the HC.

Lean misfire (very minor) is my immediate guess. I'm sceptical that
the converter has failed to reduce NOx while still oxidizing CO like a
champ. I mean, if his typical engine is producing typical CO, this
converter is doing quite a job to get it down to .16%.

> Time for some systematic diagnosis by someone who has considerable
> experience with the carbureted Mopars of the mid '70s through late '80s.
> Just throwing parts at it will get very expensive long before the problem
> is solved.

Hear, hear! Some research in his yellow pages for a shop that doesn't
wince when he mentions his problem would be a good start.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old May 28th 05, 02:56 PM
Mike Romain

Away we go again. Dan, why do you suddenly cross post this BS without
giving us the full post you are replying to?

It makes you seem like a total ass and yet you do it all the time.

The last couple times folks have asked for clarification, you have
ignored it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 28th 05, 03:01 PM

On Sat, 28 May 2005 00:48:25 -0400, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 May 2005, Mr. Minnow wrote:
>
>> I took my car(87 5th Ave with a 318(5.2L) v8) in for an emission test and it
>> failed miserably
>>
>> Here are the results:

>It's *very* hard to read your results -- the tabulation didn't come out as
>you tried to make it do -- but it looks to me as if your results a
>
>HC: 197ppm (limit 83ppm, FAIL)
>CO: 0.16% (limit 0.46%, PASS)
>NOx: 1220ppm (limit 893ppm, FAIL)
>
>Your CO is about 1/3 of the allowable limit, and is an excellent reading
>for a carbureted car -- but your HCs are more than double the allowed
>limit, and your NOx is 1/3 higher than allowed. This combination of
>results suggests your engine is running so lean that it is misfiring.
>Those cylinders that do fire produce a great deal of NOx due to the lean
>mixture, while those that do not fire produce a great deal of HC due to
>noncombustion.
>
>(These '85-'89 civilian M-body cars with the Holley 2bbl don't generally
>run very well in stock form, even when everything is set by the book. Lean
>surge under steady throttle is the rule, rather than the exception. Not
>that this helps you -- just saying.)
>
>So, what's causing your misfiring? Could be any number of things. A faulty
>Oxygen sensor in the driver side exhaust manifold (how long since you
>replaced it?). A faulty carburetor, a faulty Lean Burn computer, a plugged
>fuel filter...it might not even be a lean misfire at all; your readings
>could also be caused by the reduction portion of the exhaust catalyst
>system having reached the end of its life, resulting in very high NOx
>tailpipe readings and insufficient free Oxygen in the exhaust stream to
>allow the oxidation section of the catalyst to clean up the HC.
>
>Time for some systematic diagnosis by someone who has considerable
>experience with the carbureted Mopars of the mid '70s through late '80s.
>Just throwing parts at it will get very expensive long before the problem
>is solved.
>
>DS

Is this vehicle still 100% stock, or has somebody screwed around with
the lean-burn?I've seen these engines "converted" to standard carbs
(remove the lean-burn) not have a chance of passing E-Test

Otherwise,Mr Stern has pretty well covered it.
Old May 28th 05, 03:19 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Mr. Minnow wrote:

> Sorry about that here's a better version of the report
>
> ASM2525 TEST

This is the "Acceleration Simulation Mode" test, IOW a test under load.

<snip another difficult-to-read report>

Next time, type it up like this:

HC: 197ppm (limit 83ppm) FAIL
CO: 0.16% (limit 0.46%) PASS
NO: 1220ppm (limit 893ppm) FAIL

> CURB IDLE TEST

<snip> retyped:

HC: 504ppm (limit 300ppm) FAIL
CO: 6.76% (limit 1.5%) FAIL
NO: N/A

Still looks like lean misfire under load, possibly inoperative or clogged
EGR system, possibly dead catalytic converter(s), possibly inoperative
Oxygen sensor, possibly malfunctioning carburetor, possibly malfunctioning
Lean Burn computer...

....answer's still the same: Proper and skillful diagnosis.

DS
Old May 28th 05, 03:24 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Comboverfish wrote:

> > HC: 197ppm (limit 83ppm, FAIL)
> > CO: 0.16% (limit 0.46%, PASS)
> > NOx: 1220ppm (limit 893ppm, FAIL)

> Dan, I haven't seen the whole original post; are these readings at
> idle?

Those are ASM2525 (acceleration simulation).

> The limits seem rather strict for a 1987 vehicle.

Oh, I donno...I had a '65 car that would reliably pass emission
tests with similar limits. The guy's idle results and limits are

HC: 504ppm (limit 300ppm) FAIL
CO: 6.76% (limit 1.5%) FAIL

Those are pretty standard state limits for an '87 car, and he's flunking
them very, very badly.

> Lean misfire (very minor) is my immediate guess. I'm sceptical that
> the converter has failed to reduce NOx while still oxidizing CO like a
> champ.

If he's running lean enough to cause those readings, there won't be much
CO off the manifold in the first place, so the catcon won't have a big job
getting rid of it.

> > Time for some systematic diagnosis by someone who has considerable
> > experience with the carbureted Mopars of the mid '70s through late
> > '80s. Just throwing parts at it will get very expensive long before
> > the problem is solved.

> Hear, hear! Some research in his yellow pages for a shop that doesn't
> wince when he mentions his problem would be a good start.

He might be on the phone awhile. There weren't all that many techs who
could do a good job with these Lean Burn systems when they were current
and new!

DS
Old May 28th 05, 03:54 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Mike Romain wrote:

> Away we go again. Dan, why do you suddenly cross post this BS without
> giving us the full post you are replying to?

I included all the pertinent info supplied in the original post. When more
info was posted in the original group, I supplied that, too.

If you don't like my posts, don't read them -- problem solved.

DS