Is AAA better than a credit card's roadside assistance?

Old May 25th 05, 06:50 AM
George Grapman

Rod Speed wrote:

>>>And while you certainly cant eliminate the possibility of a
>>>failure in any car which needs outside help, paying that high
>>>a fee per year for that isnt necessarily the most frugal way
>>>to cover that sort of problem. The cellphone coverage is
>>>generally rather better value in those circumstances.

>>Unfortunately most of those cell phone plans only can be accessed from your
>>cell phone. Out of a coverage area? Out of luck.

> Some of us have enough of a clue to use
> a cell plan where that doesnt happen.

No cell service works everywhere. They all have dead areas. Those
with a clue know that.
This is usually the point where Rod says "bull****", a cite is posted
showing the claim is true, and unable to admit error little Rodney
whines "irrelevant".

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell
Old May 25th 05, 06:56 AM
Don Bruder

In article
"ameijers" > wrote:

> Well. I'm glad it worked out for you. But 9 major road failures in less than
> 5 years? What do you <do> to your cars?

I drive for a living in a tough - but elderly, with all that entails -
little beater-mobile, in fairly strenuous terrain. Rolling over a K a
week isn't unusual, and 2K in a week isn't unheard of, depending on
business, and most of those miles are done diagonally - As in up or down
the side of a mountain.

<snip>

> for me any more. Which suits me just fine- freezing my ass off on the side
> of a country two-laner at 0200 just ain't the amusing adventure it was at
> 18.

Gawd, ain't THAT the truth!

For the most part, I'm ready to go for minor failures - A fanbelt fails,
brake pads run down (I've been spotted at 0300 on the side of that
country two-laner you mention, doing a front brake job with a flashlight
before coming down the mountain) tire goes flat - the "routine" stuff.
I'm set for that just about anytime, anywhere. For what I'm *NOT*
equipped to cope with on my own out in the middle of nowhere, there's
that little chunk of plastic... If I can just find a phone! :-/

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.
Old May 25th 05, 07:13 AM
Rod Speed

George Grapman > wrote in message
. com...
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Unfortunately most of those cell phone plans only can be accessed from your
>>> cell phone. Out of a coverage area? Out of luck.

>> Some of us have enough of a clue to use
>> a cell plan where that doesnt happen.

And anyone with a clue uses their cell to call the AAA anyway.

> No cell service works everywhere. They all have dead areas.

Anyone with a clue uses a cell service where that is rare.

<reams of the crapchild's puerile **** flushed where it belongs>

No surprise that the best its ever managed is sales ****wit.

>>> On the other hand AAA can be accessed from any phone

>> So can the very occasional use of a pay for service callout too.

And thats not likely to cost more than years of unused AAA fees
when the lack of a cell service is deliberately organised to be rare.

Old May 25th 05, 08:03 AM
SoCalMike

Bob Ward wrote:
> Until it gets dropped in the water

mines waterproof.
Old May 25th 05, 12:43 PM
George

ameijers wrote:

> no
>
>>reason for me to pay an extra $60/year for a AAA membership.
>>

> Keep your car in good shape, carry a little cash+plastic, maybe a cell phone
> (even a 'dead' one from a garage sale) to call 911, and who needs an auto
> club? It's like an extended warranty on an appliance- what are the odds you
> will ever use it enough to counter the upfront cost? If you can't see
> civilization from where you break down, 911 will always (albeit grudgingly)
> log a 'motorist assist' call and send a tow truck. If you only drive
> locally, keep a 3x5 in the glove box with the local garage and tow numbers.
> Just IMHO, of course, YMMV. The other auto club perks like triptiks,
> discount tickets, etc., may make it make sense for you. Personally, I'd
> rather put the money to keeping the car up to snuff, and replacing it when
> needed.
>
> aem sends...

Unless you are causing a road hazard it is inappropriate to call 911.
And if you do what do you know about the tow truck? They can demand a
huge fee as just happened to a friend. With AAA I simply call them and
they dispatch a tow truck known to them which will provide service
accrding to the contract.

It is pretty much impossible to prevent some failures. My last breakdown
was on a well maintained 3 year old car. The engine simply stopped on
the interstate. I was in an area where I didn't know anyone so who would
I have called? The AAA guy towed it back to my local garage where they
determined that the camshaft position sensor failed.
Old May 25th 05, 03:49 PM
George

SoCalMike wrote:
> Bob Ward wrote:
>
>> Until it gets dropped in the water

> mines waterproof.

Mine is waterprooof and floats too and I also have a power cord to plug
into the lighter. I am a pilot and I do know how to read maps but the
first time you use the autorouting feature on a dark rainy night to
locate that unmarked street you probably would have driven by 3 times if
you were trying to use paper maps you will quickly forget paper maps.
Old May 25th 05, 03:58 PM
George Grapman

Rod Speed wrote:
> George Grapman > wrote in message
> . com...
>
>>Rod Speed wrote

>>>Some of us have enough of a clue to use
>>>a cell plan where that doesnt happen.

> And anyone with a clue uses their cell to call the AAA anyway.
>

>>No cell service works everywhere. They all have dead areas.

> Anyone with a clue uses a cell service where that is rare.

But is still happens.

> <reams of the crapchild's puerile **** flushed where it belongs>
>
> No surprise that the best its ever managed is sales ****wit.

No surprise that Mr. Welfare never talks about his job.

Old May 25th 05, 07:44 PM
Rod Speed

George Grapman > wrote in message
> Rod Speed wrote
>> George Grapman > wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>> And anyone with a clue uses their cell to call the AAA anyway.

>>> No cell service works everywhere. They all have dead areas.

>> Anyone with a clue uses a cell service where that is rare.

> But is still happens.

And what matters IS WHETHER IT HAPPENS ENOUGH WHEN
YOU NEED TO CALL SOMEONE WHEN THE CAR IS UNDRIVABLE,
TO COST MORE FOR THE PAY PER SERVICE CALL TO OTHER
THAN THE CELL TELCO OR THE AAA TO COST MORE THAN
THE AAA WOULD DO OVER THAT TIME.

There are other alternatives to payig for the service call too,
most obviously with failed batterys and tyres where many of
the operations that sell those dont charge much to deliver a
new one to the car on the side of the road etc.

Old May 25th 05, 07:47 PM
Rod Speed

"George" > wrote in message
> ameijers wrote:
>

>> no
>>
>>>reason for me to pay an extra $60/year for a AAA membership.
>>>

>> Keep your car in good shape, carry a little cash+plastic, maybe a cell phone
>> (even a 'dead' one from a garage sale) to call 911, and who needs an auto
>> club? It's like an extended warranty on an appliance- what are the odds you
>> will ever use it enough to counter the upfront cost? If you can't see
>> civilization from where you break down, 911 will always (albeit grudgingly)
>> log a 'motorist assist' call and send a tow truck. If you only drive
>> locally, keep a 3x5 in the glove box with the local garage and tow numbers.
>> Just IMHO, of course, YMMV. The other auto club perks like triptiks,
>> discount tickets, etc., may make it make sense for you. Personally, I'd
>> rather put the money to keeping the car up to snuff, and replacing it when
>> needed.
>>
>> aem sends...

> Unless you are causing a road hazard it is inappropriate to call 911. And if
> you do what do you know about the tow truck? They can demand a huge fee as
> just happened to a friend. With AAA I simply call them and they dispatch a tow
> truck known to them which will provide service accrding to the contract.

> It is pretty much impossible to prevent some failures.

Sure, but what matters is how common those are. It may
well make a lot more sense to use your cell callout service
than to pay for the AAA with a car still in warranty etc.

> My last breakdown was on a well maintained 3 year old car. The engine simply
> stopped on the interstate. I was in an area where I didn't know anyone so who
> would I have called? The AAA guy towed it back to my local garage where they
> determined that the camshaft position sensor failed.

Sure, but the cell service would have been cheaper for that
and it should have been covered by the warranty anyway.

Old May 25th 05, 09:05 PM
Rod Slow

Rod Speed wrote:
> George Grapman > wrote in message
>
>>Rod Speed wrote
>>
>>>George Grapman > wrote

>>>And anyone with a clue uses their cell to call the AAA anyway.

>>>Anyone with a clue uses a cell service where that is rare.

>>But is still happens.

> And what matters IS WHETHER IT HAPPENS ENOUGH WHEN
> YOU NEED TO CALL SOMEONE WHEN THE CAR IS UNDRIVABLE,
> TO COST MORE FOR THE PAY PER SERVICE CALL TO OTHER
> THAN THE CELL TELCO OR THE AAA TO COST MORE THAN
> THE AAA WOULD DO OVER THAT TIME.
>
> There are other alternatives to payig for the service call too,
> most obviously with failed batterys and tyres where many of
> the operations that sell those dont charge much to deliver a
> new one to the car on the side of the road etc.
>
> <reams of the crapchild's puerile **** flushed where it belongs>
>
> No surprise that the best its ever managed is sales ****wit.

Yep. five days before his welfare check arrives bowel boy is back to
his standard replies.
Keep in mind the only time bowel boy worked he was fired from a
menial job before lunch time.