Deer Danger

Old May 24th 05, 05:49 AM
Garrison Hilliard

Default Deer Danger

This is a peak time of year for deer crashes, even in heavily populated
areas.

It's happened to almost every driver: a deer jumps right in front of your
car!

Put yourself in this driver's seat.

You don't realize it, but you're about to hit a deer.

Some video captured by special car cameras, demonstrate just how little
time you have to react.

Sean Kelly hit a deer last Monday night, while driving his brand new car
on U.S. 27 in Cold Spring.

"It took me by surprise totally. I didn't see it out of the corner of my
eyes or anything," Kelly said.

But, it could have been much worse.

"I always saw the deer warning signs, but never took it as a serious
hazard," said Kathy Hill, whose husband Greg was killed as their family
drove home from a soccer tournament in Topeka, Kansas.

A Jeep on the other side of the interstate hit a deer, catapulting it over
the median and through their windshield.

"We were heading 70-miles an hour. So, the speed of the deer, when it hit
our van, I can't estimate what it was, but it made the deer like a
missile," Hill said.

Kathy was hurt. A witness told her about her husband's final moments.

"He was turning his head to the side to see if everybody else was
okay. And that's when he died," said Hill.

Wildlife officers say deer accidents are on the rise.

"There are more deer now in North America than there have ever been. And
we're right in their habitat. We're living there, we're driving
there," said wildlife officer Todd Malmsbury.

Be alert for deer, especially between dusk and dawn.

If you spot a deer, slow down. Others are probably nearby.

And, experts say, if the deer is directly in your path, don't swerve.

On a driving simulator, you can see that swerving to avoid a deer might be
a fatal mistake.

Swerving might take you into the path of an oncoming car, or cause a
rollover.

Instead, hit your brakes.

"A lot of times it's better to hit the deer than it is to actually try to
avoid the deer," said Lt. John Eichkorn of the highway patrol

One solution is the "highway underpass."

New research shows that deer will actually cross under a busy highway,
when given the option.

But, wildlife underpasses can cost as much as a million dollars each.

Deer crashes happen year 'round.

But right now is prime time: the birthing season.

Also be careful in October and November, the mating season.

Contact Carol Williams
E-mail

<nice video at website>

http://www.wcpo.com/wcpo/localshows/...g/1a85ac0.html

Old May 24th 05, 06:18 AM
greggery peccary

"Garrison Hilliard" > wrote in message
> This is a peak time of year for deer crashes, even in heavily populated
> areas.

i almost crushed a squirrel yesterday, but hitting a deer on a bike would be
something...anyone ever?...naw!

Old May 24th 05, 06:31 AM
Arif Khokar

Old May 24th 05, 06:35 AM
Bernard farquart

"Garrison Hilliard" > wrote in message
> This is a peak time of year for deer crashes, even in heavily populated
> areas.

wierd crosspost.

Old May 24th 05, 07:17 AM
Bill Sornson

greggery peccary wrote:
> "Garrison Hilliard" > wrote in message
>> This is a peak time of year for deer crashes, even in heavily
>> populated areas.
>>

> i almost crushed a squirrel yesterday, but hitting a deer on a bike
> would be something...anyone ever?...naw!

I came way too close for comfort to being absolutely creamed by a large buck
at Cuyamaca State Park (CA). Came bounding out of the brush right across my
path as I was /flying/ down a nice smooth singletrack. No doubt in my mind
whatsoever that it would have killed me if I'd been 10-15 feet faster.

Could see it happening on a road bike, too, but not nearly as likely I
wouldn't think. Still... watch out!

Old May 24th 05, 09:59 AM

> i almost crushed a squirrel yesterday, but hitting a deer on a bike
would
> be something...anyone ever?...naw!

On http://www.bikejournal.com user irishbiker posted:
A few years ago I was finishing hill training for a MS150 tour and a
deer came out of the woods and took off across the road as I was going
downhill. I honestly thought I was going fast enough to get by. Wrong!
I crunched it and went flying. Thank goodness for my helmet. I actually
did have proof I hit a deer as my taco'd front wheel had deer hair
embedded between the tire and the rim. I've been kidded constantly
since by friends wanting to know if I've been bike hunting lately. A
friend and my father-in-law actually crafted a letter from the Kansas
Department of Wildlife and Parks telling me that hunting in this manner
was illegal and if I do it again I would be prosecuted to the full
extent of the law!

Old May 24th 05, 10:10 AM
what does THIS button do?

I've slapped a buck's tail during one commute and swatteded a doe on
ass another ride. The buck covered me in deer "pellets".

..max

Old May 24th 05, 10:13 AM
what does THIS button do?

I've slapped a buck's tail during one commute and swatted a doe on the
ass on another ride. The buck covered me in deer "pellets".

..max

Old May 24th 05, 11:51 AM
Ken

"Garrison Hilliard" > wrote in message
> This is a peak time of year for deer crashes, even in heavily populated
> areas.
>

> It's happened to almost every driver: a deer jumps right in front of your
> car!
>

> Put yourself in this driver's seat.
>
> You don't realize it, but you're about to hit a deer.
>

> Some video captured by special car cameras, demonstrate just how little
> time you have to react.
>

> Sean Kelly hit a deer last Monday night, while driving his brand new car
> on U.S. 27 in Cold Spring.
>

> "It took me by surprise totally. I didn't see it out of the corner of my
> eyes or anything," Kelly said.
>
> But, it could have been much worse.
>

> "I always saw the deer warning signs, but never took it as a serious
> hazard," said Kathy Hill, whose husband Greg was killed as their family
> drove home from a soccer tournament in Topeka, Kansas.
>

> A Jeep on the other side of the interstate hit a deer, catapulting it over
> the median and through their windshield.
>

> "We were heading 70-miles an hour. So, the speed of the deer, when it hit
> our van, I can't estimate what it was, but it made the deer like a
> missile," Hill said.
>

> Kathy was hurt. A witness told her about her husband's final moments.
>

> "He was turning his head to the side to see if everybody else was
> okay. And that's when he died," said Hill.
>

> Wildlife officers say deer accidents are on the rise.
>

> "There are more deer now in North America than there have ever been. And
> we're right in their habitat. We're living there, we're driving
> there," said wildlife officer Todd Malmsbury.
>
> Be alert for deer, especially between dusk and dawn.
>
> If you spot a deer, slow down. Others are probably nearby.
>
> And, experts say, if the deer is directly in your path, don't swerve.
>
> On a driving simulator, you can see that swerving to avoid a deer might be
> a fatal mistake.
>
> Swerving might take you into the path of an oncoming car, or cause a
> rollover.
>
> Instead, hit your brakes.
>

> "A lot of times it's better to hit the deer than it is to actually try to
> avoid the deer," said Lt. John Eichkorn of the highway patrol
>

> One solution is the "highway underpass."
>
> New research shows that deer will actually cross under a busy highway,
> when given the option.
>
> But, wildlife underpasses can cost as much as a million dollars each.
>
> Deer crashes happen year 'round.
>
> But right now is prime time: the birthing season.
>
> Also be careful in October and November, the mating season.
>

> Contact Carol Williams
> E-mail
>
> <nice video at website>

http://www.wcpo.com/wcpo/localshows/...g/1a85ac0.html

I have never seen or heard of anyone hitting a deer on a bicycle!
But the bike woould probably get the worst of it.

Ken

Old May 24th 05, 12:20 PM
Roy Zipris

We see deer all the time on rides around here, even in the more
populated, suburban areas outside of Philadelphia. Where there is one
deer, we always remind ourselves that there might be a mate, or fawns.

There is a story in one of my bike clubs about a member on a suburban
(as opposed to rural) ride who was struck by a deer that suddenly
bounded out of the woods and tried, unsuccessfully, to leap over her.
--Roy Zipris

DANGER DONT DO THIS TO YOUR ENGINE [email protected] Ford Mustang 4 May 7th 05 08:04 AM
Car accident while saving a deer aspadda Driving 21 March 31st 05 03:52 AM
Deer Whistlers - Any Good? pws Mazda 13 November 20th 04 03:20 AM
miata versus deer pws Mazda 6 October 2nd 04 12:32 AM