OK to flush used oil down the toilet?

Old February 1st 05, 04:05 AM
Dan

On 29 Jan 2005 02:33:50 GMT, (Jhat315) wrote:

>If I change the oil on my car, is it ok to flush the used oil down the toilet?

It's only ok if you dont mind drinking it when it comes back out of
the tap when the treatment plant fails to get rid of it.

Spend the extra effort and find a local place that will take it. The
local landfill around here even has a free place for recycling
antifreeze, something even the big chain-stores usually won't take.

Dan

Old February 1st 05, 11:01 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

> > LawsuitJoe wrote:
> >
> >> Actually, it sounds doable. The sewage treatment plant removes everything
> >> from
> >> the water before discharging it, and the sludge is removed and properly
> >> disposed of. From what I've heard it is all chemically treated at the
> >> sewage
> >> plant.

> > Uh... NO.
> >
> > Standard municipal sewage treatment processes do NOT deal with used engine
> > oil. If it isn't used in cooking, laundry, dishwashing, bathing, or
> > doesn't come out of your backside, then it doesn't belong in the sewage
> > treatment process.
> >

> Uh, not quite. Some places do indeed allow things like engine coolant to be
> dumped down the sewer. Engine oil, no but coolant, yes.

<GASP> COUGH - COUGH >> UNReal!!! >shakes head< I certainly hope that you're
kidding!!

....I'm beginning to get the impression that more than just a few individuals
believe that it's okay to pour petroleum products and or chemicals into our
sewer system!

BBA

Transmission flush harmful? jbourgeois Honda 0 December 6th 04 12:57 AM
Coolant Flush Echoadmin Ford Mustang 9 November 15th 04 12:47 AM
Radiator Flush?? Curley Dodge 10 April 27th 04 05:21 PM