IL Studying Tougher Licensing Standards for Teens

Old August 30th 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Default IL Studying Tougher Licensing Standards for Teens

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:31:53 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>WGN is reporting that the Secretary of State White is putting together
>a task force to study what leads to teen traffic deaths (DUH! You need
>a study to figure THAT out?) and whether a graduated licensing program
>should be instituted in IL. The study will be conducted for the next
>45 days; look for new legislation to be introduced this fall.

I hate teen drivers but i still say it's super-unfair to crack down
on teens (or geezers for that matter) while speeders and DUIs get
wrist slap fines.

Old August 30th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
B.Schultz

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:31:53 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
> > wrote:
>
> >WGN is reporting that the Secretary of State White is putting together
> >a task force to study what leads to teen traffic deaths (DUH! You need
> >a study to figure THAT out?) and whether a graduated licensing program
> >should be instituted in IL. The study will be conducted for the next
> >45 days; look for new legislation to be introduced this fall.

> I hate teen drivers but i still say it's super-unfair to crack down
> on teens (or geezers for that matter) while speeders and DUIs get
> wrist slap fines.

As one who has only had my license for 3.5 yrs or so, I think this plan
is a good idea. The thing is, if this program does end up teaching kids
to be more responsible, they may be less likely to speed, drunk drive,
etc. Plus, I wouldn't say that it's "cracking down" on teens; its a
method of implementing safer and more prudent driving habits, something
my peers generally lack

Old August 30th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime

On 30 Aug 2006 06:18:42 -0700, "B.Schultz" > wrote:

>Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:31:53 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >WGN is reporting that the Secretary of State White is putting together
>> >a task force to study what leads to teen traffic deaths (DUH! You need
>> >a study to figure THAT out?) and whether a graduated licensing program
>> >should be instituted in IL. The study will be conducted for the next
>> >45 days; look for new legislation to be introduced this fall.

>> I hate teen drivers but i still say it's super-unfair to crack down
>> on teens (or geezers for that matter) while speeders and DUIs get
>> wrist slap fines.

>As one who has only had my license for 3.5 yrs or so, I think this plan
>is a good idea. The thing is, if this program does end up teaching kids
>to be more responsible, they may be less likely to speed, drunk drive,
>etc. Plus, I wouldn't say that it's "cracking down" on teens; its a
>method of implementing safer and more prudent driving habits, something
>my peers generally lack

Drivers don't need education. They need severe penalties for bad
driving and that applies to ALL drivers whatever their age. Stop
giving out fines to speeders and DUIs and hit them with license
suspensions and jail time instead. Stop coddling the killers on our
highways.
Old August 30th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Barry L. Camp

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:31:53 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
> > wrote:
>
> >WGN is reporting that the Secretary of State White is putting together
> >a task force to study what leads to teen traffic deaths (DUH! You need
> >a study to figure THAT out?) and whether a graduated licensing program
> >should be instituted in IL. The study will be conducted for the next
> >45 days; look for new legislation to be introduced this fall.

> I hate teen drivers but i still say it's super-unfair to crack down
> on teens (or geezers for that matter) while speeders and DUIs get
> wrist slap fines.

Michigan has a graduated system and it works very well.

New bills are in the works to ban cell phone use and limit the
passenger count to one for drivers under 18. Both are good bills to
enhance safe driving for newer motorists.

It is not unfair at all to have restrictions on teen drivers. Driving
is a privilege that must be earned.

Not very many DUIs in Michigan get "wrist-slaps".

Old August 30th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Barry L. Camp

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

> Drivers don't need education.

Yes they do. All drivers must be competent behind the wheel, otherwise
they pose a danger to themselves and others.

> They need severe penalties for bad
> driving and that applies to ALL drivers whatever their age. Stop
> giving out fines to speeders and DUIs and hit them with license
> suspensions and jail time instead. Stop coddling the killers on our
> highways.

The fines are what helps finance our legal system. I'd rather there be
fines, rather than to have to help fund the courts and jails myself
through increased taxes.

And while I don't care for aggressive drivers that much, it's a bit
strong to call them a "killer", don't you think?

Old August 30th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Barry L. Camp said
in rec.autos.driving:
> Not very many DUIs in Michigan get "wrist-slaps".

Loco Laura (a.k.a. SADDAM) thinks that anything short of execution to be
a "wrist slap."

--
N ever
S eeing
Old August 30th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Bill Funk

On 30 Aug 2006 09:23:30 -0700, "Barry L. Camp" >
wrote:

>Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>
>> Drivers don't need education.

>Yes they do. All drivers must be competent behind the wheel, otherwise
>they pose a danger to themselves and others.
>
>> They need severe penalties for bad
>> driving and that applies to ALL drivers whatever their age. Stop
>> giving out fines to speeders and DUIs and hit them with license
>> suspensions and jail time instead. Stop coddling the killers on our
>> highways.

>The fines are what helps finance our legal system. I'd rather there be
>fines, rather than to have to help fund the courts and jails myself
>through increased taxes.
>
>And while I don't care for aggressive drivers that much, it's a bit
>strong to call them a "killer", don't you think?

Asking Aunt Judy what he thinks is an excersize in futility. He
doesn't know. That's why he's in a mental facility in CO.
We hope and pray that the professionals there will enable him to
become a contributing member of society some day.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old August 31st 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime

wrote:

>Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>

>> They need severe penalties for bad
>> driving and that applies to ALL drivers whatever their age. Stop
>> giving out fines to speeders and DUIs and hit them with license
>> suspensions and jail time instead. Stop coddling the killers on our
>> highways.

>The fines are what helps finance our legal system. I'd rather there be
>fines, rather than to have to help fund the courts and jails myself
>through increased taxes.

You missed the point. If we had severe penalties for bad driving,
people wouldn't do it. Speeding and DUI are not crimes of necessity or
of passion. People commit them simply because they're fun and the
penalties are of no consequence. Stop the coddling.

Old August 31st 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

On 30 Aug 2006 09:17:47 -0700, "Barry L. Camp" >
wrote:

>Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

>> I hate teen drivers but i still say it's super-unfair to crack down
>> on teens (or geezers for that matter) while speeders and DUIs get
>> wrist slap fines.

>Not very many DUIs in Michigan get "wrist-slaps".

DUI is a super-violent drug crime. Letting them off with fines is a
wrist slap. These killers deserve prison time and permanent loss of
license. Stop the coddling.

Old August 31st 06, 10:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Furious George

Barry L. Camp wrote:
> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:31:53 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >WGN is reporting that the Secretary of State White is putting together
> > >a task force to study what leads to teen traffic deaths (DUH! You need
> > >a study to figure THAT out?) and whether a graduated licensing program
> > >should be instituted in IL. The study will be conducted for the next
> > >45 days; look for new legislation to be introduced this fall.

> > I hate teen drivers but i still say it's super-unfair to crack down
> > on teens (or geezers for that matter) while speeders and DUIs get
> > wrist slap fines.

> Michigan has a graduated system and it works very well.
>
> New bills are in the works to ban cell phone use and limit the
> passenger count to one for drivers under 18. Both are good bills to
> enhance safe driving for newer motorists.

They should just raise the licensing age to 18.

> It is not unfair at all to have restrictions on teen drivers. Driving
> is a privilege that must be earned.

Teens should be in school, not on the road.