Mutant Accord

Old July 10th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

Default Mutant Accord

I've been all over the internet and my Chilton's is damn near useless.

There is supposed to be a green door under my dash on the passenger side,
behind the glove box. Behind this door is supposed to be a blue two pin
connector that I use to get a more specific malfunction code. Not.

The car is supposed to have two fuse boxes. Not. It has three. One on each
end of the dash and one in the engine compartment.

This is the 2000 Accord, F23A4, VTech that I replaced the head on. I'm
getting a CEL with a code of P1259, VTec sysetm malfunction. I've replaced
the VTech solenoid and verified that the oil level is correct. The engine
runs great. It does not overheat. Occassionally I've thought it "smelled
hot" if you know what I mean. No fluid leaks of any kind. A visual
inspection of the gas cap is negative. (It's the original gas cap and has
been dropped in the past.)

Where is this mystery two pin connector I use to count the CEL blinks???????

Anybody wanna buy a car?

Old July 10th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
High Tech Misfit

Nasty wrote:

> I've been all over the internet and my Chilton's is damn near useless.
>
> There is supposed to be a green door under my dash on the passenger side,
> behind the glove box. Behind this door is supposed to be a blue two pin
> connector that I use to get a more specific malfunction code. Not.
>
> The car is supposed to have two fuse boxes. Not. It has three. One on each
> end of the dash and one in the engine compartment.
>
> This is the 2000 Accord, F23A4, VTech that I replaced the head on. I'm
> getting a CEL with a code of P1259, VTec sysetm malfunction. I've replaced
> the VTech solenoid and verified that the oil level is correct. The engine
> runs great. It does not overheat. Occassionally I've thought it "smelled
> hot" if you know what I mean. No fluid leaks of any kind. A visual
> inspection of the gas cap is negative. (It's the original gas cap and has
> been dropped in the past.)
>
> Where is this mystery two pin connector I use to count the CEL blinks???????
>
> Anybody wanna buy a car?

Your 2000 Accord uses OBD-II and therefore, the codes are retrieved using a
OBD-II code reader that plugs into a diagnostic port (I do not know where it
is on this particular car).

The blue 2-pin connector you are thinking of was used on 1990-95 Accords
which used OBD-I (except the '95 V6 which was OBD-II).
Old July 11th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

Nasty wrote:

> I've been all over the internet and my Chilton's is damn near useless.
>
> There is supposed to be a green door under my dash on the passenger side,
> behind the glove box. Behind this door is supposed to be a blue two pin
> connector that I use to get a more specific malfunction code. Not.
> <SNIP>

-------------------------------------

Look at the Dealer PDI sheets for your Accord:

These are the ones for the generation after yours, but some facts will
be true http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x02-051e.pdf

Poke through this page too:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/online-manuals.html

'Curly'
Old July 11th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Nasty" > wrote in
:

> I've been all over the internet and my Chilton's is damn near useless.
>
> There is supposed to be a green door under my dash on the passenger
> side, behind the glove box. Behind this door is supposed to be a blue
> two pin connector that I use to get a more specific malfunction code.
> Not.

That is incorrect. The Service Check Connector (for that is the 2-pin
connector's name) provides only basic info. The OBD-II DLC connector is
what gives you everything the computer knows.
For instance, the CEL will flash code 90 for both P1546 and P1457, but an
OBD-II reader will differentiate between the two.

Honda did include the old CEL-flash method for several years past 1995, so
those cars did have two ways of checking an error code.

> Where is this mystery two pin connector I use to count the CEL
> blinks???????

NORMALLY...this 2-pin connector is behind the top of the passenger (right
side) kick panel. Fish around with your hand until you find the loose
connector. Jump with a paper clip. Your Accord might be different, but I'm
too lazy to go looking thru my manuals. (See how lazy I am? I couldn't even
finish the word "through"...)

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 11th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"High Tech Misfit" > wrote in message
> Nasty wrote:
>
>> I've been all over the internet and my Chilton's is damn near useless.
>>
>> There is supposed to be a green door under my dash on the passenger side,
>> behind the glove box. Behind this door is supposed to be a blue two pin
>> connector that I use to get a more specific malfunction code. Not.
>>
>> The car is supposed to have two fuse boxes. Not. It has three. One on
>> each
>> end of the dash and one in the engine compartment.
>>
>> This is the 2000 Accord, F23A4, VTech that I replaced the head on. I'm
>> getting a CEL with a code of P1259, VTec sysetm malfunction. I've
>> replaced
>> the VTech solenoid and verified that the oil level is correct. The engine
>> runs great. It does not overheat. Occassionally I've thought it "smelled
>> hot" if you know what I mean. No fluid leaks of any kind. A visual
>> inspection of the gas cap is negative. (It's the original gas cap and has
>> been dropped in the past.)
>>
>> Where is this mystery two pin connector I use to count the CEL
>> blinks???????
>>
>> Anybody wanna buy a car?

> Your 2000 Accord uses OBD-II and therefore, the codes are retrieved using
> OBD-II code reader that plugs into a diagnostic port (I do not know where
> it
> is on this particular car).
>
> The blue 2-pin connector you are thinking of was used on 1990-95 Accords
> which used OBD-I (except the '95 V6 which was OBD-II).

I suppose that would explain why I couln't find it... I guess I'll start
putting the moulding back on now.

Thanks.

Old July 11th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in message
> Nasty wrote:
>>
>> I've been all over the internet and my Chilton's is damn near useless.
>>
>> There is supposed to be a green door under my dash on the passenger side,
>> behind the glove box. Behind this door is supposed to be a blue two pin
>> connector that I use to get a more specific malfunction code. Not.
>> <SNIP>

> -------------------------------------
>
> Look at the Dealer PDI sheets for your Accord:
>
> These are the ones for the generation after yours, but some facts will
> be true http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x02-051e.pdf
>
> Poke through this page too:
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/online-manuals.html
>

> 'Curly'

Thanks Curly. Good stuff.

Old July 11th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> "Nasty" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I've been all over the internet and my Chilton's is damn near useless.
>>
>> There is supposed to be a green door under my dash on the passenger
>> side, behind the glove box. Behind this door is supposed to be a blue
>> two pin connector that I use to get a more specific malfunction code.
>> Not.

> That is incorrect. The Service Check Connector (for that is the 2-pin
> connector's name) provides only basic info. The OBD-II DLC connector is
> what gives you everything the computer knows.
> For instance, the CEL will flash code 90 for both P1546 and P1457, but an
> OBD-II reader will differentiate between the two.
>
> Honda did include the old CEL-flash method for several years past 1995, so
> those cars did have two ways of checking an error code.

Crap. I thought I read that the SCC was more specific than the OBD-II (which
can be pretty vague).

>> Where is this mystery two pin connector I use to count the CEL
>> blinks???????

> NORMALLY...this 2-pin connector is behind the top of the passenger (right
> side) kick panel. Fish around with your hand until you find the loose
> connector. Jump with a paper clip. Your Accord might be different, but I'm
> too lazy to go looking thru my manuals. (See how lazy I am? I couldn't
> even
> finish the word "through"...)

Prolly not worth the effort now that you've explained things.

Thanks again TeGGer.

Old July 11th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Nasty" > wrote in
:

> "TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
>>
>> The Service Check Connector (for that is the 2-pin
>> connector's name) provides only basic info. The OBD-II DLC connector
>> is what gives you everything the computer knows.
>> For instance, the CEL will flash code 90 for both P1546 and P1457,
>> but an OBD-II reader will differentiate between the two.
>>
>> Honda did include the old CEL-flash method for several years past
>> 1995, so those cars did have two ways of checking an error code.

> Crap. I thought I read that the SCC was more specific than the OBD-II
> (which can be pretty vague).

OBD-II is capable of up to 9,999 error codes on account of its 4-digit
descrption. Theoretically, Honda's own diag could be made to show more than
that, but when the government forces Honda to spend money to include OBD-II
capabilities, there's not much incentive to keep the old diag system past a
model change. Therefore, Honda only made the CEL system show the basics.