Briggs and Stratton Carb problems

Old March 16th 05, 02:42 AM
Felix

Default Briggs and Stratton Carb problems

Hey folks,

I recently inherited a Stiga riding lawnmower with a Briggs and
Stratton 10HP engine. After dismantling and cleaning the carburetor, I
have been able to get her started, but I'm having problems keeping her
going at lower engine speeds.

In order to start it, i need to remove the airbox cover and I need to
ensure it is on high to keep it running. I have tried every position I
can think of with the mixture screw, but the problem remains. Since it
starts with the airbox cover off, I would assume the mixture is too
rich (ie. needs air), but I've put the mixture screw all the way in
(clockwise) and the problem persists..

thoughts?

Felix

Old March 16th 05, 03:25 AM
fweddybear

> I recently inherited a Stiga riding lawnmower with a Briggs and
> Stratton 10HP engine. After dismantling and cleaning the carburetor, I
> have been able to get her started, but I'm having problems keeping her
> going at lower engine speeds.
>
> In order to start it, i need to remove the airbox cover and I need to
> ensure it is on high to keep it running. I have tried every position I
> can think of with the mixture screw, but the problem remains. Since it
> starts with the airbox cover off, I would assume the mixture is too
> rich (ie. needs air), but I've put the mixture screw all the way in
> (clockwise) and the problem persists..
>

> thoughts?
>
> Felix

When was the last time you changed the plug(s)? or the fuel filter,
although the plugs would be more the culprit.....also, maybe cleaning the
carb wasn't enuff and it needs a rebuild....

Good Luck...

Fwed

Old March 16th 05, 04:50 AM
Mike Walsh

Lawn mover and other small engines that have been sitting unused for long periods usually will not idle because the idle fuel passage is clogged.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old March 16th 05, 12:42 PM
HLS

"Mike Walsh" > wrote in message

> Lawn mover and other small engines that have been sitting unused for long

periods usually will not idle because the idle fuel passage is clogged.

> Felix wrote:
> >
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I recently inherited a Stiga riding lawnmower with a Briggs and
> > Stratton 10HP engine. After dismantling and cleaning the carburetor, I
> > have been able to get her started, but I'm having problems keeping her
> > going at lower engine speeds.
> >
> > In order to start it, i need to remove the airbox cover and I need to
> > ensure it is on high to keep it running. I have tried every position I
> > can think of with the mixture screw, but the problem remains. Since it
> > starts with the airbox cover off, I would assume the mixture is too
> > rich (ie. needs air), but I've put the mixture screw all the way in
> > (clockwise) and the problem persists..
> >
> > thoughts?
> >
> > Felix

A restrictive air filter can also do this. Get a new one if you already
haven't.
If it is the foam type, don't coat it with oil unless the instruction book
specifies this.

If air can't get it, it is similar to too much gas being metered into the
mix.

Old March 17th 05, 12:54 AM

90% of engine problems are electrical. My mechanics teacher told
me that way back in 1967, and I have found this to be true time after
time. A weak spark needs a really narrow range of mixtures to burn, and
at idle the mag may not be producing a spark at all. Try a brand-new
plug first, and if that doesn't fix it and all the fooling around with
the carb doesn't work, the points are probably corroded or burned, or
the capacitor is out of tolerance. You need to get the flywheel off,
and some of these engines are tricky that way.
There is a lot of money made on carbs and carb kits. A lot
of money that doesn't need spending.
Dan