67 Running rough

Old February 14th 05, 02:28 AM

Default 67 Running rough

I have a 67 390 big block that only gets driven once a month. When I
go to start it cold it runs horrible. It is running way too rich and
sometimes I have to take out the plugs and cleans them to get it
running again. After about 15 minutes it will run normal. Here is the
rub: I can run it on Saturday and put it away and it will start right
up and run normal on Monday. What is the difference with the carb
sitting 2 days as opposed to 28 days???? By the way I live in San
Diego where cold is really not a factor and the Carb is 5 years old.
Thanks for any input. Darin

Old February 14th 05, 02:55 AM
Tom in Missouri

You have to ask? Gasoline is a chemical that begins changing immediately.
It has a "shelf life" so to speak. So the older it gets, the less it is
like it was. This means deposits form in the carb for one thing. Another
is you have a Holley. Holleys leak. They have cork gaskets that leak. 40
year old Holleys are usually warped. You can do one of three things:
replace with a new Holley, restore this Holley, or replace with another
type of carb.

Sitting for a month, they leak enough gas into the cylinders your plugs are
gas fouled. And that is what you are getting.

I recommend using the 44N instead of the 43N plug standard. If you never
get it out on long runs, you might even try the 45N, although this could be
too hot for any highway driving.

And drive the darn thing. Once a month is nearly a museum piece.

oups.com...

Old February 14th 05, 03:14 AM

So what you are saying is that fuel is leaking down the carb into the
cylinder walls and thus running rich? I guess I buy that theory. I
just figured it would not take 15 minutes to burn the gas out of the
cylinders. By the way I have had this car for 15 years and it just
starting doing this.. So I think I will opt to restore the carb since
it is only 5 years old and hopefully nothing is warped.
I promise I run twice a month if the carb overhaul works!

Old February 14th 05, 03:19 AM
Dad

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 67 390 big block that only gets driven once a month. When I
> go to start it cold it runs horrible. It is running way too rich and
> sometimes I have to take out the plugs and cleans them to get it
> running again. After about 15 minutes it will run normal. Here is the
> rub: I can run it on Saturday and put it away and it will start right
> up and run normal on Monday. What is the difference with the carb
> sitting 2 days as opposed to 28 days???? By the way I live in San
> Diego where cold is really not a factor and the Carb is 5 years old.
> Thanks for any input. Darin

What kind of Ford is it?

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old February 14th 05, 04:49 AM

That was a 67 427 390hp Corvette........

Old February 17th 05, 05:47 AM

Ok does anybody know an average price for a 4 barrel Holley carb
rebuild. I will be taking just the carb in and I dont want to get the
shaft.....

Old February 17th 05, 02:38 PM
Charlie Funk

>average price for a 4 barrel Holley carb rebuild.

Probably in the $200 - $300 range depending on the hourly rate for the shop,
plus the rebuild kit cost.

OR - if you're adventurous, buy the rebuild kit and take it on as a
do-it-yourself project. If this is the first time you've done this, look
for informational resources or check around with local Corvette club members
or others who can provide assistance. Carb rebuilding for a street
application isn't rocket science and is a pleasant day's diversion from
workaday life.

--
Charlie Funk
Just Cruisin' Plus
ups.com...

Old February 17th 05, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. There are some things I feel adventurous on, but
having 100 little pieces laying around and putting it back together
with extra pieces left over will just **** me off!!!

Old February 20th 05, 12:50 AM

Got the carb rebuilt for $400, ouch. Put it on today and fired right
up and idled perfect. I guess you get what you pay for
sometimes........