Temp-sensor

Old December 15th 04, 02:46 PM

Default Temp-sensor

Hi, my 90YJ is showing that im running at 210, at an idle and
goes up to the next slash on the gage when on the highway,(dam if i
know the number there,)
ive changed out and replaced the thermostat(195), i checked the old one
and it was O.K.
so replaced the tempiture sensor in the block, now reads at 210
(bought it from schucks)
replaced the raidiator cap with a new one,
finaly took the jeep to a radiator shop,
he went over it with one of those inffra-red-doo-hickies,
told me that my temp-sensor was a piece of crap,
making my gage read hotter than it was,
so now i have extra-spare-good working-parts
,
where does one get an accurate temp-sensor
seeing it at 210 and up really buggs me
,
thanks,
johnp

Old December 15th 04, 03:29 PM
Mike Romain

Well.... You know it is going to run at least at 195 degrees and I have
been told that the average wide open temp for the 195 thermostat is 210
and most Jeeps run at 210 to 'turn on the emissions', even the new ones,
and the boil over temp with a good rad cap and 50/50 mix is 265 deg,
so....

So the next question is, how does your gas gauge read? If the gas gauge
also reads a bit high or goes up a bit high now and then, they are
connected. I 'think' the 90 YJ still has the same gauges as the CJ and
if so the gas and temp are controlled by the same mechanical voltage
regulator. The one in mine is a bit shaky, so when I see my temp up too
high or too low, I look over at the gas gauge. If it also is up too
high or too low, I take the temp reading accordingly.

Here is a link on the gauges:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/electrical/gauges/

The fact it go up on the highway though implies the thing is working.
If you have any rad restrictions like a winch or bumper lights, that can
affect the highway flow. I have issues with mine on hot days and at
speeds around 75 mph or higher. Mine will get really hot, hot enough I
have to turn on my heater sometimes to lower it. I know I have air flow
issues with my winch and lights.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 15th 04, 06:04 PM

thanks, i had a friend tell me that running ar 210 was "wrong" hence
the
worrie,
gas gauge is fine, since i took and cleaned all the contacts of all the
gages,
i was just worried about the 210 and going up to the next bar on the
gauge,
what the hell number is the next bar? on the gauge?
whats with those un-even numbering/devisions?
,
thanks
john

Old December 15th 04, 07:47 PM
Jeff Strickland

Well, having the temp indicate at 210 is not a problem.

oups.com...

Coolant temp sensor ncs Chrysler 4 December 20th 04 11:09 PM
Temp Sensor - '91 Audi 100 ~ ElektraMan ~ Audi 4 December 17th 04 09:58 PM
Climatronic Diagnostic Controls Luís Lourenço Audi 1 November 12th 04 08:22 AM
89 Accord check light- temp sensor Ed Overly Honda 3 October 1st 04 06:23 PM