K&N air filters, do they really work?

Old March 24th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
223rem

Default K&N air filters, do they really work?

Or should I stick to conventional filters?

Thanks.
Old March 24th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

223rem wrote:
> Or should I stick to conventional filters?
>
> Thanks.

this is just my opinion... but I suspect they do work, in the sense
that they will give you slightly less restriction to airflow and
therefore slightly more power. However, I also suspect that this
reduction in airflow ability comes at the expense of allowing more dirt
to pass, especially small, dust type particles. Some people with cars
that tend to build up oil in the intake have reported that they have
found what appears to be dust in the intake tract downstream of the
filter when using a K&N.

My personal car does not have a K&N in it, I just stick to Wix, Mann or
Mahle pleated paper.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 24th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

223rem > wrote:
>Or should I stick to conventional filters?

The K&N will give you increased airflow, but poorer filtration. In a
racing application, that might be good. In an offroad application, it
is a total disaster.
--scott
Old March 24th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Larry Bud

On Mar 24, 3:32 pm, 223rem > wrote:
> Or should I stick to conventional filters?
>
> Thanks.

Do they work for what? I've had a K&N in my Vette since probably 93
or 94... same filter. I oil it once in a while, but I'm hesitant
anymore because I seem to putt too much oil, which soils the MAF
sensor, and it takes a few starts until that crap burns off from the
wire.

I have a book from TPS which they do dyno testing of various things
you can do to your car. However, they didn't even bother to test with
or without the filter.

Old March 25th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pirrero

On Mar 24, 12:32 pm, 223rem > wrote:
> Or should I stick to conventional filters?

If you have a turbo car, absolutely not.

If your car has a MAF sensor, the oil can kill the hot wire kind.

I doubt you'd be able to tell any difference. Nate's suggestion is
the one I follow for all my Audis.

E.P.

Old March 25th 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Nate Nagel wrote:
> 223rem wrote:
>> Or should I stick to conventional filters?
>>
>> Thanks.

> this is just my opinion... but I suspect they do work, in the sense
> that they will give you slightly less restriction to airflow and
> therefore slightly more power. However, I also suspect that this
> reduction in airflow ability comes at the expense of allowing more dirt
> to pass, especially small, dust type particles. Some people with cars
> that tend to build up oil in the intake have reported that they have
> found what appears to be dust in the intake tract downstream of the
> filter when using a K&N.
>
> My personal car does not have a K&N in it, I just stick to Wix, Mann or
> Mahle pleated paper.

I ran a K&N in my mustang for awhile. I inspected the intake tube one day
and it wasn't as clean as I thought it should be in the folds. Nothing
really bad but it made me nervous enough to go back to motorcraft paper
filters. When I've looked in there since it hasn't been that way. Just my
personal experience. There wasn't enough difference in feel with the K&N
to say if there was any difference at all power wise.

Old March 25th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Mar 24, 1:32 pm, 223rem > wrote:
> Or should I stick to conventional filters?
>
> Thanks.

Depends on what sort of competitions you run in. For street driving,
you rarely get into situations where it will make a difference.
Because of the way modern induction systems are metered, a somewhat
restrictive air filter will NOT richen mixture- that is a myth, though
true many many years ago with float carburators vented to air.

What a clogged or restrictive air cleaner does today is alter the max
airflow entering into engine, as if the throttle were not opened quite
all the way, or as if you were a few thousand feet higher up a
mountain. Thus the effect is only at wide open throttle, high rpms
where volumetric efficiency is important. If you often run the engine
wide open, full throttle at high rpms you may notice a small
improvement in power. Most people will not.

It will not improve fuel efficiency. However, if you drive your car
that way, you are likely not to be worried about efficiency anyway.

Old March 25th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

1970's,1962 six cylinder Ford Falcon car,Kentucky.Durn straight Air
Filters work.
cuhulin

Old March 27th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_1_]

"223rem" > wrote in message
m...
> Or should I stick to conventional filters?
>
> Thanks.

Rather than continually repeat myself, I created a web page to share
my opinion of K&N Airfilters - see
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id5.html or
http://tinyurl.com/393zv4 .

Ed

Old March 27th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
223rem

C. E. White wrote:
> "223rem" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Or should I stick to conventional filters?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Rather than continually repeat myself, I created a web page to share
> my opinion of K&N Airfilters - see
> http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id5.html or
> http://tinyurl.com/393zv4 .

Good read, thanks