Tips for looking at a convertible

Old August 3rd 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Houdsie

Default Tips for looking at a convertible

I'm going to look at a '76 convertible this weekend. I am told it is
still fuel injected and the motor does run. The car has been sitting
off and on for about 10 - 15 years. I'm hoping to make it a daily
driver. The pictures show the body exterior is in good shape. I do
know where to look for rust from my experience with my '73 sedan. Are
there any particular areas I need to pay attention to with a
convertible? Thanks.

Old August 3rd 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Houdsie wrote:

> I'm going to look at a '76 convertible this weekend. I am told it is
> still fuel injected and the motor does run. The car has been sitting
> off and on for about 10 - 15 years. I'm hoping to make it a daily
> driver. The pictures show the body exterior is in good shape. I do
> know where to look for rust from my experience with my '73 sedan. Are
> there any particular areas I need to pay attention to with a
> convertible? Thanks.

Take all the rust experience on a sedan and multiply X 3.

Rocker panels.
Rear qtr panels.
Reinforcing rails underneath.
Frame head.
Behind rear seat.
Pan (of course)
Heater channels.

Remember that each of these areas may have been skillfully
mudded over!

Bring a bag of small magnets and throw them at the car. <g>

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old August 4th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
D&LBusch

Throwing magnets might cause you a problem - but....... Make sure the top
fits right. Literally see if the windows go up and down and seat correctly.
The rear can be a real pain if it doesn't line up right. Also make sure the
padding is in good shape otherwise you'll have to take apart the entire
top - this doesn't matter if you were planning to in the first place. David
. ..

Old August 6th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Houdsie

So, I drove 2 hours to look at a '76 vert listed for $3500. The guy I
was dealing with admited he did not know that much about VWs. He had
bought 4 years ago to restore, but never got around it. I was told the
engine was rebuilt and the floor pans were replaced. All I can say is
"Holy Hack job Batman!"

The pans were replaced, but actual VW pans were not used. It looks
like they were free hand fabricated. The gap under the rear seat was 2
inches, which led to tons of rust. The rest of the car had the tell
tale signs of some teenage experiments in body and electric work. So I
quickly left so I could make the VW show in Shrewsbury, MA.

I do need to give my wife her props. I called to tell her I was
heading to the show and she volunteered to pack up the kids in the Bug
and meet me at the show. God love her.

Thanks for your advice. All I have to show for it is a good laugh.

PS - If for some odd reason someone is interested in the vert, drop me
a line and I'll give you contact info. It's located in Western MA.

Houdsie