Tirade Tuesday: telemarketers and Bellsouth's "Privacy Director"

Old July 4th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
JohnV@nn

Default Tirade Tuesday: telemarketers and Bellsouth's "Privacy Director"

OK I have one for Tirade Tuesday. Bellsouth has this
anti-telemarketing thing called privacy director (folks here in the
group may know about it). Anyway the idea is when someone calls whose
phone does not transmit their name or phone number via caller ID, their
call is answered by an automated service that asks for their name and
company name; after they give it, then my phone rings; when I answer,
the automated service replays the person's name and company name that
was just recorded seconds ago. I can now press 1 to accept the call or
press 2 to reject the call. If I reject, the caller gets a pleasant
automated voice saying "the party has rejected your call."

OK, so far it sounds great. But there is this one company that keeps
calling me, and I keep rejecting their call. They call about 2 times a
day, and so far they're up to about 15 calls. What do these people
think, if they bug the living hell out of me, I'll eventually accept
their call? And if I do, what kind of mood am I going to be in - will
I sit and happily listen to their sales pitch and then buy their crappy
product? Chances of that are very low.

That's it.

John

Old July 4th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

http://break.com/index/angrybt.html

You might want to be sure the kids are in bed before you play this.

Old July 4th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
JohnV@nn

They do offer call block but I don't have the feature. Although it
might be worth the $4.95 a month. :-)

Old July 4th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Deputy Dog

"JohnV@nn" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> They do offer call block but I don't have the feature. Although it
> might be worth the $4.95 a month. :-)
>

> Nightmare wrote:
> > Annoying really annoying have recieved calls like that 10 times

yesterday
> > from on company all the time
> > Well,where I live I only have to contact my telephon company and ask

them to
> > block certain numbers or list my number in a list that all marketers

have to
> > follow and check before calling presumable comsumers
> > Does your Phone company provide this Service? I mean blocking certain
> > numbers
> > Regards
> > Nightmare
> >
> > "JohnV@nn" > skrev i meddelandet
> > ups.com...
> > > OK I have one for Tirade Tuesday. Bellsouth has this
> > > anti-telemarketing thing called privacy director (folks here in the
> > > group may know about it). Anyway the idea is when someone calls whose
> > > phone does not transmit their name or phone number via caller ID,

their
> > > call is answered by an automated service that asks for their name and
> > > company name; after they give it, then my phone rings; when I answer,
> > > the automated service replays the person's name and company name that
> > > was just recorded seconds ago. I can now press 1 to accept the call

or
> > > press 2 to reject the call. If I reject, the caller gets a pleasant
> > > automated voice saying "the party has rejected your call."
> > >
> > > OK, so far it sounds great. But there is this one company that keeps
> > > calling me, and I keep rejecting their call. They call about 2 times

> > > day, and so far they're up to about 15 calls. What do these people
> > > think, if they bug the living hell out of me, I'll eventually accept
> > > their call? And if I do, what kind of mood am I going to be in - will
> > > I sit and happily listen to their sales pitch and then buy their

crappy
> > > product? Chances of that are very low.
> > >
> > > That's it.
> > >
> > > John

Check with your state, in Pennsylvania we have a no call list. You sign up
and telemarketers cannot call you. Or they get a VERY stiff fine. I think
there may even be a national no call list.

Dave

Old July 4th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_1_]

JohnV@nn wrote:
> OK I have one for Tirade Tuesday. Bellsouth has this
> anti-telemarketing thing called privacy director (folks here in the
> group may know about it). Anyway the idea is when someone calls whose
> phone does not transmit their name or phone number via caller ID, their
> call is answered by an automated service that asks for their name and
> company name; after they give it, then my phone rings; when I answer,
> the automated service replays the person's name and company name that
> was just recorded seconds ago. I can now press 1 to accept the call or
> press 2 to reject the call. If I reject, the caller gets a pleasant
> automated voice saying "the party has rejected your call."
>
> OK, so far it sounds great. But there is this one company that keeps
> calling me, and I keep rejecting their call. They call about 2 times a
> day, and so far they're up to about 15 calls. What do these people
> think, if they bug the living hell out of me, I'll eventually accept
> their call? And if I do, what kind of mood am I going to be in - will
> I sit and happily listen to their sales pitch and then buy their crappy
> product? Chances of that are very low.
>
> That's it.
>
> John

Oh come on!! Details. Who is it, what are they selling??

--
"The moon being made of green cheese, being necessary
to the feeding of a hungry bunch," - Quaestor
Old July 5th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Names Nobody

"Deputy Dog" > wrote in message

> "JohnV@nn" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> They do offer call block but I don't have the feature. Although it
>> might be worth the $4.95 a month. :-)
>>

>> Nightmare wrote:
>> > Annoying really annoying have recieved calls like that 10 times

> yesterday
>> > from on company all the time
>> > Well,where I live I only have to contact my telephon company and ask

> them to
>> > block certain numbers or list my number in a list that all marketers

> have to
>> > follow and check before calling presumable comsumers
>> > Does your Phone company provide this Service? I mean blocking certain
>> > numbers
>> > Regards
>> > Nightmare
>> >
>> > "JohnV@nn" > skrev i meddelandet
>> > ups.com...

> their

> or

> crappy

> Check with your state, in Pennsylvania we have a no call list. You sign up
> and telemarketers cannot call you. Or they get a VERY stiff fine. I think
> there may even be a national no call list.
>
> Dave

The problem is unless you are very diligent in pursuing them, if they do
violate the do not call list ,nothing happens to them.

I never signed up for any do not call lists, yet through attention to not
releasing my phone numbers I received very few unsolicited calls. About 2
years ago, I said, aw what the hell, they should have it working by now...
I signed up, and the calls have been relentless since. I am firmly
convinced that the hard core telemarketing companies are just using the do
not call list to call from. The few people that actually pursue it all the
way to a fine are easily affordable in their scheme...

Old July 5th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
JohnV@nn

WindsorFox wrote:
> JohnV@nn wrote:
> > OK I have one for Tirade Tuesday. Bellsouth has this
> > anti-telemarketing thing called privacy director (folks here in the
> > group may know about it). Anyway the idea is when someone calls whose
> > phone does not transmit their name or phone number via caller ID, their
> > call is answered by an automated service that asks for their name and
> > company name; after they give it, then my phone rings; when I answer,
> > the automated service replays the person's name and company name that
> > was just recorded seconds ago. I can now press 1 to accept the call or
> > press 2 to reject the call. If I reject, the caller gets a pleasant
> > automated voice saying "the party has rejected your call."
> >
> > OK, so far it sounds great. But there is this one company that keeps
> > calling me, and I keep rejecting their call. They call about 2 times a
> > day, and so far they're up to about 15 calls. What do these people
> > think, if they bug the living hell out of me, I'll eventually accept
> > their call? And if I do, what kind of mood am I going to be in - will
> > I sit and happily listen to their sales pitch and then buy their crappy
> > product? Chances of that are very low.
> >
> > That's it.
> >
> > John
> >

> Oh come on!! Details. Who is it, what are they selling??

Don't know exactly what they're selling but the company name is
Arbitron.

Old July 5th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Deputy Dog

"My Names Nobody" > wrote in message

> "Deputy Dog" > wrote in message
> >
> > "JohnV@nn" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >> They do offer call block but I don't have the feature. Although it
> >> might be worth the $4.95 a month. :-)

> > yesterday

> > them to

> > have to

> > their

and

answer,

that

call
> > or

pleasant

keeps

times

accept

> > crappy

> > Check with your state, in Pennsylvania we have a no call list. You sign

up
> > and telemarketers cannot call you. Or they get a VERY stiff fine. I

think
> > there may even be a national no call list.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> The problem is unless you are very diligent in pursuing them, if they do
> violate the do not call list ,nothing happens to them.
>
> I never signed up for any do not call lists, yet through attention to not
> releasing my phone numbers I received very few unsolicited calls. About 2
> years ago, I said, aw what the hell, they should have it working by now...
> I signed up, and the calls have been relentless since. I am firmly
> convinced that the hard core telemarketing companies are just using the do
> not call list to call from. The few people that actually pursue it all

the
> way to a fine are easily affordable in their scheme...

I'm sorry this has been your experience. We went from 4-6 calls a night to
0.And every once and a while I read or hear about a sucessfull prosecution
and heavy fine.

Dave

Old July 5th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
JohnV@nn

Deputy Dog (removethis) wrote:
> "JohnV@nn" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > They do offer call block but I don't have the feature. Although it
> > might be worth the $4.95 a month. :-)
> >

> > Nightmare wrote:
> > > Annoying really annoying have recieved calls like that 10 times

> yesterday
> > > from on company all the time
> > > Well,where I live I only have to contact my telephon company and ask

> them to
> > > block certain numbers or list my number in a list that all marketers

> have to
> > > follow and check before calling presumable comsumers
> > > Does your Phone company provide this Service? I mean blocking certain
> > > numbers
> > > Regards
> > > Nightmare
> > >
> > > "JohnV@nn" > skrev i meddelandet
> > > ups.com...

> their

> or

> crappy

> Check with your state, in Pennsylvania we have a no call list. You sign up
> and telemarketers cannot call you. Or they get a VERY stiff fine. I think
> there may even be a national no call list.
>
> Dave

I'm registered on the do-not-call list but for some reason this company
is ignoring it. Certain types of outfits are exempt from the
do-not-call, but even if they were, I can't understand why anyone would
keep calling back when I explicitly reject their call.

Old July 5th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"JohnV@nn" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Deputy Dog (removethis) wrote:
>> "JohnV@nn" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > They do offer call block but I don't have the feature. Although it
>> > might be worth the $4.95 a month. :-)

>> yesterday

>> them to

>> have to

>> their

>> or

>> crappy

>> Check with your state, in Pennsylvania we have a no call list. You sign
>> up
>> and telemarketers cannot call you. Or they get a VERY stiff fine. I think
>> there may even be a national no call list.
>>
>> Dave

> I'm registered on the do-not-call list but for some reason this company
> is ignoring it. Certain types of outfits are exempt from the
> do-not-call, but even if they were, I can't understand why anyone would
> keep calling back when I explicitly reject their call.

I'm with the Dog. I couldn't wait to sign up with both national and
Pennsylvania do not call lists.

If it was me, I'd take the next call from these bozos and politely get the
name of the caller, his supervisor, the branch they're calling from, the
company on whose behalf they are calling. I would then tell this person in
no uncertain terms to remove my name and number from their call list.

If they called again, I'd drop a dime on them. After venting my spleen, of
course.

I do some marketing myself, and I'm familiar with the Direct Marketing
Association. All of their members and affiliates pay careful attention to
the do not call lists, and any marketer that is calling someone they know to
be on that list deserves what they get. But you have every right to ask to
have your name removed from their list, and they have every obligation to
honor that request.

The exceptions to the do not call regulations are, of course, charities and
(naturally) political candidates and organizations.

dwight