No Oil Filter???

Old November 10th 04, 03:21 AM
Kafertoys

Oh and Narly Dude I have never ordered from JCW. But your right I'm sure the
oil filter kit from CB Performance is the way to go, think thats who I got the
one from for a 1776 engine we put in a 67 21 window came from. I was just
stating you can find the same quality always cheaper if you look around.
Just a service anouncement

Mario
Vintage Werks Restoratins
thoes who can fix cars do
those who can't sell parts
Old November 10th 04, 03:33 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: Narley Dude

>(Darn tops are
>not cheap for the 72 SB vert)

would be even more expensive for a 72 standard vert, if you could find the
top....<G>
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old November 10th 04, 03:38 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel

> I don't recall
>looking at it and thinking, "My what a big old sloppy opening around
>this shaft!"
>
>What did I not see?

LOL...on a stock replacement engine, like yours you did not see a seal on the
crank end...you should have seen some grooves cut into the pulley "snout" that
goes into the case though..those grooves are similar to the threads on a
screw....or an auger...as the pulley turns they act as a pump to pump air into
the engine case to vent the crankcase(out the tube from the oil filler to the
air cleaner)....when the pulley "pumps" air into the case it also pumps in
*any* contaminants in the air...which will end up in your oil....i'm sure you
have heard(read) Bob Hoover state that you change the oil in a vw to clean
it....this is why....if you need pics i have several engines in various stages
of build and teardown....
-------------------
Old November 10th 04, 04:45 AM
Narley DudeŽ

On 10 Nov 2004 02:21:50 GMT, (Kafertoys) wrote:

>Oh and Narly Dude I have never ordered from JCW. But your right I'm sure the
>oil filter kit from CB Performance is the way to go, think thats who I got the
>one from for a 1776 engine we put in a 67 21 window came from. I was just
>stating you can find the same quality always cheaper if you look around.
>Just a service anouncement
>
>Mario
>Vintage Werks Restoratins
>thoes who can fix cars do
>those who can't sell parts

Mario,
I'm not disputing nor discrediting you at all. I'm sure there are
other places where you can find the very same thing for less.
I've bought high quality items elsewhere with lower prices than
aircooled.net. However, there is one thing that I can personally most
of us have known John for years and we know that he maintains a high
quality standard in regards of parts and service.Items I've bought
from aircooled.net I knew with 100% certainty that it was of high
quality, not just because of his reputation, but mainly the guy is one
of us and the very last thing he would want is for one of RAMVA to
claim that we got ripped off. I don't know how this whole feud got
started, neither do I care. But I can say in pure honesty: There is
always room for another vendor in this group. I just don't care for
people stepping on toes of the regulars. (Trust me, there is a certain
"period of homage" that is due before you're considered a 'regular.
Trust me I've bumped heads in my early days...but with time I've
mended things up and HOPEFULLY I can now be considered a regular)

Narley DudeŽ
Old November 10th 04, 05:08 AM
Narley DudeŽ

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 20:51:30 -0600, John Willis
> wrote:

>On 10 Nov 2004 02:21:50 GMT, (Kafertoys) scribbled
>this interesting note:
>
>>I was just
>>stating you can find the same quality always cheaper if you look around.
>>Just a service anouncement

>There's quality and then there's quality with service after the sale.
>There's also just a lot of crap out there.
>
>Personally, I'll take the quality with service after the sale. I
>haven't needed much in the way of acvw parts since our very close
>(less than a mile away) local VW FLAPS closed due to the death of the
>owner, but when I do find a need for more parts (and we all know that
>day is coming for each of us) I know who I'll be ordering from...
>
>As I've stated many times, the key is knowing which pennies to pinch.

Amen John!
I really miss the heck out of Knight's. Leroy's death was a very sad
ordeal for all that knew him.
I've know those guys and have been a loyal customer for many years.
Most of the time I would just stop in to BS with Angel, Dave and
Leroy. I'll tell ya if you had any question what-so-ever on parts
Angel was the man to talk to! I wonder what happened to him? Since the
closure of Knight's I've taken my business to V-Dubfolks in Irving.
They are very knowledgeable and have always treated me right, yeah you
might spend a dollar or 2 more... but it's all about service and it's
money well spent.
As you know there is one place I would NEVER go back to......that is
Piston and Plug. I've been screwed one too many times there.

Narley DudeŽ
Old November 10th 04, 07:25 AM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Chris Perdue wrote:
>>From: "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel

>>I don't recall
>>looking at it and thinking, "My what a big old sloppy opening around
>>this shaft!"
>>
>>What did I not see?
>>

> LOL...on a stock replacement engine, like yours you did not see a seal on the
> crank end...you should have seen some grooves cut into the pulley "snout" that
> goes into the case though..those grooves are similar to the threads on a
> screw....or an auger...as the pulley turns they act as a pump to pump air into
> the engine case to vent the crankcase(out the tube from the oil filler to the
> air cleaner)....when the pulley "pumps" air into the case it also pumps in
> *any* contaminants in the air...which will end up in your oil....i'm sure you
> have heard(read) Bob Hoover state that you change the oil in a vw to clean
> it....this is why....if you need pics i have several engines in various stages
> of build and teardown....

Oh ho! I /have/ seen those threads! They are there to blow air into the
crankcase?!? Is there no end to the ingenious little wonders lurking on
and within these engines? I'll be hornswoggled. I wondered why Bob
Hoover described the crankcase of the VW engine as being open to the
air! Frequent oil changes would indeed still be needed.

Here I was assuming that the hose from the oil filler tube to the air
cleaner was to handle piston ring blow-by . . . never occurred to me
that they would purposely try to inflate the case.

But . . . how much air can them winky little grooves pump into the
engine? And why are they trying to do that, anyway?

Let's say, then, that a fellow puts on a "sand seal" -- does it also
block the air inlet? What happens to the crankcase ventilation? WHAT
HAPPENS THEN, MAN?!?
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Old November 10th 04, 07:52 AM
John Connolly

Ideally the crankcase is closed, and the vapors are routed to the air
filter, then to the carb, and into the engine for burning in the combustion
process. This "suction" is to prevent the crankcase from coming pressurized,
which increases the incidence of oil leaks. Having a slight vacuum on the
crankcase will pull "in" on any leaky seals, minimizing their leakage. This
vacuum also maximizes the pressure differential across the piston rings,
which makes them work better.

The stock pulley "threads" are there only to "throw back" oil DROPLETS. The
crankcase is open, and it will suck in DIRTY AIR on decelleration or other
high vacuum conditions, bringing in contaminants into the crankcase and
obviously the oil supply.

A sand seal closes the crankcase, and allows you to EFFECTIVELY create the
PCV system that makes the engine (and the EPA) happy.

regardless of whether you have an open crankcase or a sealed one, you need
to route the crankcase breathers to the air filter. Routing it to the open
air is bad for our air, and not the best for the engine for the reasons
discussed above.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
et> wrote in message
> Chris Perdue wrote:
> >>From: "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel

> >>I don't recall
> >>looking at it and thinking, "My what a big old sloppy opening around
> >>this shaft!"
> >>
> >>What did I not see?
> >>

> > LOL...on a stock replacement engine, like yours you did not see a seal

on the
> > crank end...you should have seen some grooves cut into the pulley

"snout" that
> > goes into the case though..those grooves are similar to the threads on a
> > screw....or an auger...as the pulley turns they act as a pump to pump

air into
> > the engine case to vent the crankcase(out the tube from the oil filler

to the
> > air cleaner)....when the pulley "pumps" air into the case it also pumps

in
> > *any* contaminants in the air...which will end up in your oil....i'm

sure you
> > have heard(read) Bob Hoover state that you change the oil in a vw to

clean
> > it....this is why....if you need pics i have several engines in various

stages
> > of build and teardown....

> Oh ho! I /have/ seen those threads! They are there to blow air into the
> crankcase?!? Is there no end to the ingenious little wonders lurking on
> and within these engines? I'll be hornswoggled. I wondered why Bob
> Hoover described the crankcase of the VW engine as being open to the
> air! Frequent oil changes would indeed still be needed.
>
> Here I was assuming that the hose from the oil filler tube to the air
> cleaner was to handle piston ring blow-by . . . never occurred to me
> that they would purposely try to inflate the case.
>
> But . . . how much air can them winky little grooves pump into the
> engine? And why are they trying to do that, anyway?
>
> Let's say, then, that a fellow puts on a "sand seal" -- does it also
> block the air inlet? What happens to the crankcase ventilation? WHAT
> HAPPENS THEN, MAN?!?
> --
> Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
> 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
> 84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
> KG6RCR
> -=-=-
> Work is of two kinds: first, altering the position of matter at or near

the
> earth's surface relatively to other matter; second, telling other people

> do so. The first kind is unpleasant and ill-paid, the second is pleasant
> and highly paid.
> -- Bertrand

Russell

Old November 10th 04, 11:11 AM
Shaggie

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:03:08 +0200, Jan >
wrote:

>"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote:
>>
>> But . . . how much air can them winky little grooves pump into the
>> engine? And why are they trying to do that, anyway?

>They are not there to pump air, although that might be happening to some
>small extent.
>They are in fact OIL RETURN grooves. In case oil tries to seep out from
>teh opening, it will HAVE to go right past and over these grooves, which
>when the engine is turning, are designed to "sling" the oil back inside.

http://bugadventures.dyndns.org/disaster/n.jpg
happens when this happens:
http://bugadventures.dyndns.org/disaster/m.jpg
until this happens:
http://bugadventures.dyndns.org/sandseal/ss.html

--

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.