Snow Chains in Audi A6 Quattro

Old July 24th 04, 08:28 AM
Dano

"Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > schreef in bericht
news
> R@L schrieb:
>
> >Hear hear!

> >I thought I was they only one knowing that the best tires should be in

the
> >rear.
> >Now I know there's at least someone else.

> Can you elaborate?
>
> Why would it be better to have less friction in the front on a front
> driven car? That supports understeering, doesn't it? The rear wheels
> just roll along. What's the error here?

I believe it was when you're breaking into a slippery corner, it's for the
average driver *easier* to escape from an understear (rear-tyres ok) then
from an oversteer-situation (rear-tyres too 'slick').

The way the car goes with the least grip on the front will go in a straight
line, when the least grip is on the back, the car will spin.

--
Dan

Old July 24th 04, 02:25 PM
R@L

"Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > wrote in message
news
> R@L schrieb:
>
> >Hear hear!

> >I thought I was they only one knowing that the best tires should be in

the
> >rear.
> >Now I know there's at least someone else.

> Can you elaborate?
>
> Why would it be better to have less friction in the front on a front
> driven car? That supports understeering, doesn't it? The rear wheels
> just roll along. What's the error here?
>
> Regards
>
> Wolfgang

Understeer is corrected easily by releasing the throttel.
Oversteer is difficult to cope with and needs a lot of space to correct.
So in corners you prefer understeer and put the worn tires in front -it's
always better not to use worn tires.

Ronald

Old July 24th 04, 05:25 PM
Doug Ramage

"R@L" > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > wrote in message
> news
> > R@L schrieb:
> >
> > >Hear hear!

> > >I thought I was they only one knowing that the best tires should be in

> the
> > >rear.
> > >Now I know there's at least someone else.

> > Can you elaborate?
> >
> > Why would it be better to have less friction in the front on a front
> > driven car? That supports understeering, doesn't it? The rear wheels
> > just roll along. What's the error here?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Wolfgang

> Understeer is corrected easily by releasing the throttel.
> Oversteer is difficult to cope with and needs a lot of space to correct.
> So in corners you prefer understeer and put the worn tires in front -it's
> always better not to use worn tires.
>
> Ronald
>

> > --

Don't the tyre manufacturers themselves recommend that the tyres with most
tread go on the rear - to protect themselves from liability?
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

Old July 24th 04, 05:35 PM
Jay Somerset

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:54:11 +0200, Wolfgang Pawlinetz >
wrote:

> Jay Somerset schrieb:
>
> >If you are able to brake in a completely straight line, on a smooth surface,
> >with absolutely constant coefficient of friction, then the rear tires will
> >probably stay in line behind the front. Deviations from this ideal condition
> >will require some quick reaction on the steering to keep the car straight.
> >
> >However, if you hit a patch on the road with appreciably different traction,
> >or if the right wheels encounter a different situation thasn the left, even
> >fast steering reaction may not be enough to prevent the rear from coming
> >around. Or if you are turning and still have to slow down (bad planning;
> >unexpected obstacle, etc.)

> This is entirely true for a non ABS car. But wrong for an Audi (or any
> other car wit ABS). BTDT myself more then once. We trained that on a 3
> day handling/track training class and with the ABS on a full power
> brake with the left side on perfect race tarmac and the right side on
> deliberately slippery surface (a special surface which gets slippery
> like ice when wettened) it only required the slightest bit of
> countersteer, and I mean just a bit, to keep a straight line. All cars
> without ABS went off the track unless the would open the brakes,
> re-align and hit the brakes hard again.

I agree that ABS does make the problem largely go away, at least with
braking, but on cornering the traction system is not as efficient in
counteracting differential front/rear grip. if there is a marked difference
in tread depth, I would put the better tires on the rear, even with AWD.

> >A slight bit of understeer is not bad -- you just have to approach your
> >corners a bit differently than if you had oversteer. A lot of understeer is
> >not good -- neither is a lot of oversteer.

> Yep. Agreed.
>
> >While a "expert driver" might get away with an oversteering car, the
> >presciption to put the better tires on the rear is proper for "the average
> >driver" and certainly safest for those with no clue at all. :-)

> Hmmm.
>
> Regards
>
> Wolfgang

2001 Audi TT Quattro FOR SALE Gary Audi 0 June 14th 04 03:46 PM
For sale Audi 100 Avant Quattro Estate V6 2,8 J reg 92, Blue 4WD cp Audi 0 June 9th 04 02:37 AM
WTB: Audi TT Quattro Avatar Audi 0 June 7th 04 09:44 PM
Audi Quattro parts search John Audi 4 June 7th 04 06:47 PM
Audi 100 quattro temp gauge probs Paul Wickham Audi 1 May 31st 04 04:39 PM