Service manual for SR-4

Old November 20th 05, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Service manual for SR-4

I've got an SR-4 tranny I need to get back together and I'd like to have
a service manual just to make sure things go by the numbers. I didn't
dismantle it and I've never had ANY tranny apart. Does anyone know of
an online resource that may have the manual in downloadable (I.E. free)
form, or anyplace there may be a step by step procedure. Anyplace with
photos and a write up? Any/all of the above would be helpful.

I'll admit I don't really want to foot the bill to buy one as I intend
for this to be a one shot deal. I don't intend to make a habit of
wasting time with SR-4 trannys.
Old November 20th 05, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Tom,
An exploded view is at:
http://www.drivetrain.com/transilljeep_sr4.html I could put it together
blind, but for the first time assembler it'll be a puzzle. The first
thing that goes in the case is the cluster, and I use a dummy shaft to
load the eighty bearings and spacers, and thrust washers, then slide it
through the case with it's shaft. Others use a heavy grease to plaster
the bearings in place using the stock shaft, and freeze it paying like
crazy they doesn't fall out while sliding the shaft out to drop into the
case and reinsert. Reverse idler. Usually there's enough room to slide
the input shaft without it's bearing on the output shaft assemble, past
the forks and cluster, then add the front bearing to stabilize it, while
positioning the rear housing. There are many pieces that may fit
wrongly, so get someone that's been there before to watch. If one of the
roller bearing falls out of position you're wasting your time.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 20th 05, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I wish you luck!

Having a box of parts that someone insists is a tranny to put together
would be one major nightmare in my mind....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old November 20th 05, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Ditto, not taking it a part gives you no clue as to which ends just
the thrust washers go other than the usually have a cog to grab the case
with. On one cluster I guessed wrong and moved the cluster the wrong way
so it rubbed first gears sync ring, unless I used Hurst adjusting bolts
to keep it from going in all the way. Been to thirty years of races with
that way: http://www.billhughes.com/thunderb.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old November 21st 05, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You still racing the T-Bird?

Old November 21st 05, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Bill,
Sure, but only once a year, and now it's only an eighth mile, with
other has-beens: http://www.billhughes.com/temp/antiqueDrags91805.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Billy Ray wrote:

> You still racing the T-Bird?

Service manual for 98 Camry: Haynes or Chilton? Ajanta Technology 38 July 5th 05 11:23 PM
Anyone need '83 Prelude factory service manual Craig W Honda 0 June 26th 05 12:29 AM
95 J30 service manual suren Technology 0 March 22nd 05 02:48 AM
Service Manual Iveco Z340T n1jee General 0 August 23rd 04 10:28 PM