Boat/Ship engines/cooling system.

Old May 3rd 10, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Boat/Ship engines/cooling system.

I am listening to a local radio talk show.A guy on the Gulf Coast said
that oily water will ruin boat/ship engines.He said even outboard
engines will overheat.Some Shipping lanes might be closed.
cuhulin

Old May 3rd 10, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
>I am listening to a local radio talk show.A guy on the Gulf Coast said
> that oily water will ruin boat/ship engines.He said even outboard
> engines will overheat.Some Shipping lanes might be closed.
> cuhulin

People say the wierdest things. Unlikely that this level of oil in the sea
will really hurt much, unless you are really in the thick of it.

What may hurt is the price and availability of good Gulf shrimp and
oysters in the time to come. We were just getting over the damage the
freaking hurricanes did, and now BP greases our eats.

Sincerely, this was a disaster. Two people from my old company
were on board, and did not survive. When this settles down, the
lawsuits will start flying. Who is really at fault? A witch hunt is about
to start. And, IMHO, some company - perhaps not BP - will have
a severe tour to walk.

Old May 4th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Four people from my home State were on that offshore oil rig when it
exploded.They haven't been found, they won't be found.
I don't know if that oil/sluge can damage Boat/Ship engines or not if it
gets into the water cooling passages.I assume if too much of it builds
up in there it can/will cause the engine(s) to overheat.Gummy sticky
stuff.
cuhulin

Old May 4th 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
> Four people from my home State were on that offshore oil rig when it
> exploded.They haven't been found, they won't be found.
> I don't know if that oil/sluge can damage Boat/Ship engines or not if it
> gets into the water cooling passages.I assume if too much of it builds
> up in there it can/will cause the engine(s) to overheat.Gummy sticky
> stuff.
> cuhulin

The primary death sentence was the initial blowout explosion.
The platform, IIUC, has sunk. There will be, AFAIK, no survivors
that have not already been identified.

Now, the investigators will try to find out what really happened.

I have worked offshore a lot. In my experience, we were trained to
do the best we could with safety procedures. But some incidents can
negate any safety procedure you can imagine.

Old May 4th 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

A woman and her twin sister (Jeri) who used to live next door to me a
few years ago, Jeri works offshore for Shell.They are originially from
Natchez.One of their boyfriends (from San Antonio, I think he bought
some land in Texas and he moved back to Texas) works offshore for Shell
too.

http://www.cowboysnightmare.com
(Jeri)
cuhulin

Old May 4th 10, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
>A woman and her twin sister (Jeri) who used to live next door to me a
> few years ago, Jeri works offshore for Shell.They are originially from
> Natchez.One of their boyfriends (from San Antonio, I think he bought
> some land in Texas and he moved back to Texas) works offshore for Shell
> too.
>
> http://www.cowboysnightmare.com
> (Jeri)
> cuhulin

Well, Shell is a good company. So is BP, and the company which supplied
the blow out preventer (BOP) Cameron, I think, is well known and very
competent, as is the company which ran the drilling fluid program
(MI-SWACO).

These are, arguably, some of the best companies in the world. Something
went wrong. We will eventually know what happened.

Old May 4th 10, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

"hls" > wrote in
:

> > wrote in message
>>A woman and her twin sister (Jeri) who used to live next door to me a
>> few years ago, Jeri works offshore for Shell.They are originially from
>> Natchez.One of their boyfriends (from San Antonio, I think he bought
>> some land in Texas and he moved back to Texas) works offshore for Shell
>> too.
>>
>> http://www.cowboysnightmare.com
>> (Jeri)
>> cuhulin

> Well, Shell is a good company. So is BP,

You wouldn't think so reading the news. Between pipeline corrosion,
refinery deaths, and the latest well leak, BP seems to have a pretty lousy
record.

> These are, arguably, some of the best companies in the world. Something
> went wrong. We will eventually know what happened.

And it's funny how a large percentage of the "wrong" seems to be happening
to BP.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/3182510.html
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14251436/

BP seems to be too busy polishing their "Beyond Petroleum" environut image
to pay attention to running the company properly.

--
Tegger
Old May 4th 10, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "hls" > wrote in
> :
>

>> > wrote in message
>>>A woman and her twin sister (Jeri) who used to live next door to me a
>>> few years ago, Jeri works offshore for Shell.They are originially from
>>> Natchez.One of their boyfriends (from San Antonio, I think he bought
>>> some land in Texas and he moved back to Texas) works offshore for Shell
>>> too.
>>>
>>> http://www.cowboysnightmare.com
>>> (Jeri)
>>> cuhulin

>> Well, Shell is a good company. So is BP,

> You wouldn't think so reading the news. Between pipeline corrosion,
> refinery deaths, and the latest well leak, BP seems to have a pretty lousy
> record.
>

>> These are, arguably, some of the best companies in the world. Something
>> went wrong. We will eventually know what happened.
>>

> And it's funny how a large percentage of the "wrong" seems to be happening
> to BP.

Well, BP HAS changed over the years. I have worked with them.,
given presentations to them at their main site in Sunbury, England, etc etc,
and
I believe them to be concerned and very intelligent.

When this sort of thing happens, every slipshod news commentator in the
world wants to stir up the kettle.

Surely, there was an accident..... I dont know whose fault it was. It could
lie along several lines.

When an accident like this happens in high technology environs, there are
several possibilities...One is that an act of God happened, and that things
just went to ****.

Another is that one or another or several contractors just screwed up and
a catastrophe happened.

Just hold on. The answer will come to light.

Old May 4th 10, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

BP and Shell has had some problems before concerning offshore oil rigs
in the North Sea.BP and Shell and who knows which other oil
company/companies?
cuhulin

Old May 4th 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Atomic Engines.
http://www.atomicengines.com/Ship_paper.html

I still say I want a nuclear power battery car, and a nuclear battery to
run my house.
cuhulin, Atom Ant