Toyota Throttle Electronics Easily Confused

Old February 24th 10, 01:47 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
john

Default Toyota Throttle Electronics Easily Confused

The floor mats and sticking pedal accounts for only 30% of the
problems. The true cause of sudden acceleration is still not known so
no real solution is possible. IMO it's the electronics.

"In earlier testimony, David Gilbert, a Southern Illinois University
professor, tells the panel he was able to produce in a lab environment
a sudden-acceleration incident using a Toyota vehicle, in essence by
introducing a short between two circuits.

Gilbert, whose research was sponsored by consumer advocacy firm Safety
Research & Strategies, says it was fairly simple to confuse the Toyota
electronics, but he has so far been unable to introduce a similar
failure in the electronic controls for a Buick Lucerne."

http://wardsauto.com/home/toyota_still_looking_100223/
Old February 24th 10, 02:11 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
Dick Cheney[_3_]

"john" > wrote in message
> The floor mats and sticking pedal accounts for only 30% of the
> problems. The true cause of sudden acceleration is still not known so
> no real solution is possible. IMO it's the electronics.
>
> "In earlier testimony, David Gilbert, a Southern Illinois University
> professor, tells the panel he was able to produce in a lab environment
> a sudden-acceleration incident using a Toyota vehicle, in essence by
> introducing a short between two circuits.
>
> Gilbert, whose research was sponsored by consumer advocacy firm Safety
> Research & Strategies, says it was fairly simple to confuse the Toyota
> electronics, but he has so far been unable to introduce a similar
> failure in the electronic controls for a Buick Lucerne."
>
> http://wardsauto.com/home/toyota_still_looking_100223/

Dick Cheney says, you are easily led, like a sheep, one person
purposely trying to make something fail probably can,
however your car probably crashed because your dear wife
stuck her hoof on the wrong pedal.

Old February 24th 10, 02:13 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_]

Awww...looks like someone was abused by his science teacher back in the day.

Old February 24th 10, 04:30 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:47:06 -0800, john wrote:

> The floor mats and sticking pedal accounts for only 30% of the problems.
> The true cause of sudden acceleration is still not known so no real
> solution is possible. IMO it's the electronics.

Near as I can see, you're the only confused thing I can see around here.

IMO, of course.

Old February 24th 10, 05:13 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 02/23/2010 05:47 PM, john wrote:
> The floor mats and sticking pedal accounts for only 30% of the
> problems. The true cause of sudden acceleration is still not known so
> no real solution is possible. IMO it's the electronics.

"in your opinion"? are you a software engineer? are you an electrical
engineer? are you /any/ form of engineer?

> "In earlier testimony, David Gilbert, a Southern Illinois University
> professor, tells the panel he was able to produce in a lab environment
> a sudden-acceleration incident using a Toyota vehicle, in essence by
> introducing a short between two circuits.
>
> Gilbert, whose research was sponsored by consumer advocacy firm Safety
> Research& Strategies, says it was fairly simple to confuse the Toyota
> electronics, but he has so far been unable to introduce a similar
> failure in the electronic controls for a Buick Lucerne."
>
> http://wardsauto.com/home/toyota_still_looking_100223/

and we can find "witnesses" that will stand up and allege that their
vehicle's throttle, brakes, transmission and ignition all failed
simultaneously. but not as simultaneously as their credibility.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old February 24th 10, 11:55 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,rec.autos.tech
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
news
> On 02/23/2010 05:47 PM, john wrote:
>> The floor mats and sticking pedal accounts for only 30% of the
>> problems. The true cause of sudden acceleration is still not known so
>> no real solution is possible. IMO it's the electronics.

> "in your opinion"? are you a software engineer? are you an electrical
> engineer? are you /any/ form of engineer?

He can swap a hard drive while blindfolded, and he knows some geologists.

Old February 24th 10, 07:38 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 06:55:23 -0500, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "jim beam" > wrote in message
> news
>> On 02/23/2010 05:47 PM, john wrote:
>>> The floor mats and sticking pedal accounts for only 30% of the
>>> problems. The true cause of sudden acceleration is still not known so
>>> no real solution is possible. IMO it's the electronics.

>> "in your opinion"? are you a software engineer? are you an electrical
>> engineer? are you /any/ form of engineer?

> He can swap a hard drive while blindfolded, and he knows some geologists.

Look again. You're talking about the wrong person.

Gee, you've NEVER been wrong before!!!

Old February 24th 10, 07:42 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,rec.autos.tech
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_]

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 06:55:23 -0500, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> "in your opinion"? are you a software engineer? are you an electrical
>>> engineer? are you /any/ form of engineer?

>> He can swap a hard drive while blindfolded, and he knows some geologists.

> Look again. You're talking about the wrong person.
>
> Gee, you've NEVER been wrong before!!!

Oops.

Old February 24th 10, 08:12 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:42:04 -0500, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 06:55:23 -0500, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> He can swap a hard drive while blindfolded, and he knows some
>>> geologists.

>> Look again. You're talking about the wrong person.
>>
>> Gee, you've NEVER been wrong before!!!

> Oops.

That's OK. You'll get me next time...

Old February 24th 10, 08:12 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
ransley

On Feb 23, 7:47*pm, john > wrote:
> The floor mats and sticking pedal accounts for only 30% of the
> problems. The true cause of sudden acceleration is still not known so
> no real solution is possible. IMO it's the electronics.
>
> "In earlier testimony, David Gilbert, a Southern Illinois University
> professor, tells the panel he was able to produce in a lab environment
> a sudden-acceleration incident using a Toyota vehicle, in essence by
> introducing a short between two circuits.
>
> Gilbert, whose research was sponsored by consumer advocacy firm Safety
> Research & Strategies, says it was fairly simple to confuse the Toyota
> electronics, but he has so far been unable to introduce a similar
> failure in the electronic controls for a Buick Lucerne."
>
> http://wardsauto.com/home/toyota_still_looking_100223/

I thought it was 70% of complaints lodged going back to 02 or near,
not 70% of affected cars.

Im sure they know the reason why it happens, toyotas beancounters
just figure its cheaper to ignore it and too hard to prove. You see
eventualy all the defect cars will be totaled out and there wont be
any proof, the rest die by attrition, so the problem dissapears
magicly.

It just takes time, a bit of lobbying, and a few employees that used
to work for the NHTSA squash a few investigations, and its like it
never happened.